Author Topic: After winning the championship..have your opinions on Doc changed?  (Read 11896 times)

Offline ToBrien1124

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 4
I know, I know. You put any coach with KG, Ray Allen, and Paul Pierce and they will also have success. But would they be able to bring the Celtics to glory like Doc did. I know its hard to believe,  even more so with all the new fans we have after winning the championship but this board was absolutely on board with Doc being fired the season before.  People were calling him the worst x's and o's coach they had ever seen, the worst coach since M.L Carr..etc.

Some of these sentiments I agreed with. Doc isn't the best guy to have in the team huddle drawing up plays. But, during that 18 game losing streak or whatever it was..I continued to support our coach not for what he drew up on the clipboard but by the ways he treated his players. Doc is a PLAYER'S coach! I don't think people understand how important it is. He is a family man, a mentor, and a father like influence to our rising stars like Rondo, Powe, Big Baby etc. From the beginning of the season when he took the Big Three on the duck boat tour, to the loss of his father mid-season. To me, Doc has proved one thing..he is not above his players. He is human. For that, I couldn't ask for anybody better running this team.

You can take your Phil Jackson's, your Larry Brown's,  I'll take Doc any day of the week. From a fan that has actually met him in person, and he was no doubt one of the most humble, nicest individuals you will ever meet in the world of sports.. I say thank you Doc. Lets get number 18.

Re: After winning the championship..have your opinions on Doc changed?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 10:07:32 PM »

Offline NicaraguanFan

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28
True is Doc did better than I expected, especially during Finals he used the right guys on right time and called timeouts just when needed.   

Heading to Finals I was afraid the coaching spot was leaning LA, but my God that Jackson kid was so overrated.

#18 is coming...

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 10:22:27 PM »

Offline sns0274

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
While I have called for doc's head on more than one occasion. I do think that he still makes some real bone head decisions, his rotations are questionable at best and his use of timeouts can definitely be questioned. He did do a great job of getting the guys to play as a team, motivating them and keeping them focused.

So I don't think my opinion of him has changed. I think we might be able to do better, but until that option presents itself, he is ours.
Guns don't kill people, stupid people with guns kill people

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 10:24:32 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Yes.  I can admit that I had little faith in the guy before, but he did a fine job this year of getting 3 all stars to play well together.  Hats off to you Doc. 

Plus, Doc gets bonus points from me for outcoaching the Zen master  ;D ;D ;D
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 10:27:37 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Nope. Already liked him a lot, and he proved himself big-time this year.

Then again, I never pretended to be the all knowing source of perfect Celtics strategy, which helps me avoid fixating on coaches and fabricating blunders.

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 10:29:49 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
While I have called for doc's head on more than one occasion. I do think that he still makes some real bone head decisions, his rotations are questionable at best and his use of timeouts can definitely be questioned. He did do a great job of getting the guys to play as a team, motivating them and keeping them focused.

So I don't think my opinion of him has changed. I think we might be able to do better, but until that option presents itself, he is ours.
ditto
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 10:45:48 PM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78

I find your criticisms a bit ill-timed.  Apparently Doc's rotations and use of timeouts worked just well enough for the C' to be able to win it all.  Whose to say that if he played who you wanted when you wanted and called timeouts when you thought they should be called, the results would have been as good?  Doc's methods have been proven to work, your notions are just those of an outside observer.  I am not sure how you can still elevate your opinion of who should play and how games should be managed above the guy that just won the Championship. Do better than win the Title? Huh?

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 11:08:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think most here know where I stand. I am a Doc supporter. And I will support him til the end.

I don't think he's the world's best coach and he does some things that get me wishing I still had hair so that I could pull it out again. But I will support and defend him to the end and here's why.

At the beginning of that horrible season in 2006-07 I noticed something while looking at the scores of the Celtic's games while I was perusing the schedule one day. The Celtics were playing every game close and almost never getting blown out.

But they stunk. They started around .500 to start the year but you could see they were awful and young. A bad combo. Then the injuries started. Perk, Pierce, Wally, Tony Allen, Delonte.

But they were still in every game and giving much better teams fits. And it went that way all year. Even during the 18 game losing streak. They were in and had a chance to win almost all those games. So I looked at the scores of the previous season and lo and behold, tons of losses in close games.

Now if the Celtics had a load of veterans and talent and were losing close games, that would indicate to me a coach that sucked. But for a team that was the one of the 2 youngest in the league, I think that spoke volumes for what the coach was doing.

He got the most of his players and they played hard to the last whistle and the young guys got better. The word from the clubhouse was that these guys all liked each other and got along and pushed and supported each other. A bunch of millionaire early twentysomethings for the most part. I thought that remarkable and always thought if Doc got real talent and vets he would do wonders if given the chance.

His rotations stunk, but by the end of the playoffs they were pretty good.
His timing of time outs was questionable at best, but by the end of the playoffs, they were well timed and productive. His decisions as to who to play were erratic, but by the end of the playoffs he had made the right decisions. His in game adjustments were not good or didn't exist, but by the end of the playoffs they were at least being made and having some success.

But what made that team succeed from the get go and carried them until they learned how to play like the champions they were was Doc's faith, energy, teaching, morale, enthusiam, player and ego management, belief in self and team and his ability to rally this team under any circumstances or setbacks.

It was these things that sustained this team when Doc's faults worked against this team. And as Doc improves on the things that drive me nuts, I have faith it is the other things that will assist once again in leading this team to another title. If this team makes it to the next postseason healthy I think it will be the learning process that Doc and this team went through together this year that will carry them to another title.

Right now I am sure there is not another individual I want coaching this team. And my opinion hasn't changed on that.

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 11:24:44 PM »

Offline orrzor

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 58
I think of all the issues heading into the playoffs, most people here (myself included) were most worried about Doc's ability. There was a lot of pressure on him to succeed and he faced many challenges, 2 7 game series, not winning a road game for a month, juggling Cassell and House, big comebacks and he really made it all work. So major kudos to him.

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 11:26:54 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
I think most here know where I stand. I am a Doc supporter. And I will support him til the end.

I don't think he's the world's best coach and he does some things that get me wishing I still had hair so that I could pull it out again. But I will support and defend him to the end and here's why.

At the beginning of that horrible season in 2006-07 I noticed something while looking at the scores of the Celtic's games while I was perusing the schedule one day. The Celtics were playing every game close and almost never getting blown out.

But they stunk. They started around .500 to start the year but you could see they were awful and young. A bad combo. Then the injuries started. Perk, Pierce, Wally, Tony Allen, Delonte.

But they were still in every game and giving much better teams fits. And it went that way all year. Even during the 18 game losing streak. They were in and had a chance to win almost all those games. So I looked at the scores of the previous season and lo and behold, tons of losses in close games.

Now if the Celtics had a load of veterans and talent and were losing close games, that would indicate to me a coach that sucked. But for a team that was the one of the 2 youngest in the league, I think that spoke volumes for what the coach was doing.

He got the most of his players and they played hard to the last whistle and the young guys got better. The word from the clubhouse was that these guys all liked each other and got along and pushed and supported each other. A bunch of millionaire early twentysomethings for the most part. I thought that remarkable and always thought if Doc got real talent and vets he would do wonders if given the chance.

His rotations stunk, but by the end of the playoffs they were pretty good.
His timing of time outs was questionable at best, but by the end of the playoffs, they were well timed and productive. His decisions as to who to play were erratic, but by the end of the playoffs he had made the right decisions. His in game adjustments were not good or didn't exist, but by the end of the playoffs they were at least being made and having some success.

But what made that team succeed from the get go and carried them until they learned how to play like the champions they were was Doc's faith, energy, teaching, morale, enthusiam, player and ego management, belief in self and team and his ability to rally this team under any circumstances or setbacks.

It was these things that sustained this team when Doc's faults worked against this team. And as Doc improves on the things that drive me nuts, I have faith it is the other things that will assist once again in leading this team to another title. If this team makes it to the next postseason healthy I think it will be the learning process that Doc and this team went through together this year that will carry them to another title.

Right now I am sure there is not another individual I want coaching this team. And my opinion hasn't changed on that.

WOW! I can tell that came from the heart. This must a Dr. Phil thread.
Nonetheless great post.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 12:27:05 AM by Change »

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 12:40:44 AM »

Offline KJR

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 37
I agree with everything Nick said.  TP for you.

Doc had a great relationship with the players.  He was a master motivator ("Do you believe?").  He let the assistant coaches do their jobs.  He ran a "no excuses" team.  They never used fouls, or refs, or injuries as an excuse.  When KG, Perk or Ray went down, they just kept winning.  He stood up to his superstars when necessary, and they bought into the system.  He kept a sense of humor.  ("Doc is just a nickname.")  And finally, he was a class act ... he praised his opponents and he ran the team with a good set of personal values.

It's hard to imagine a different coach doing as well with this team.

It's really about getting the best out of the players you have.  It's the players that win and lose the games.  Doc knows this, and I think that's why he's a great coach.

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 12:41:59 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
Not at all.  I still think he sucks.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 12:47:08 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Not at all.  I still think he sucks.

I wasn't a big Doc guy previous to this season, but I must admit that he did a wonderful job this past season from wire to wire.  Anyone who can't admit it is, frankly, delusional. 

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 12:54:04 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
Not at all.  I still think he sucks.

I wasn't a big Doc guy previous to this season, but I must admit that he did a wonderful job this past season from wire to wire.  Anyone who can't admit it is, frankly, delusional. 

Nonsense.  He had the best "big 3" in the game, and the most talent in the Eastern Conference.  I find it amusing that people kept defending him by saying "look at how bad the talent is" prior to this season and, now that he had more talent than anyone else in the conference, that little detail is just ignored.  Meanwhile, the defensive guru who, combined with Garnett's presence, taught this team how to actually play defense, gets ignored.

He was also badly outcoached by Woodson and Brown in the playoffs and nearly lost series to 2 signigicantly lesser teams.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 01:32:09 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Nonsense.  He had the best "big 3" in the game, and the most talent in the Eastern Conference.  I find it amusing that people kept defending him by saying "look at how bad the talent is" prior to this season and, now that he had more talent than anyone else in the conference, that little detail is just ignored.  Meanwhile, the defensive guru who, combined with Garnett's presence, taught this team how to actually play defense, gets ignored.

He was also badly outcoached by Woodson and Brown in the playoffs and nearly lost series to 2 signigicantly lesser teams.

Doc gave us something to remember FOREVER. So quit spreading your hatred cause its toxic and contagious. I have the perfect vaccine SHUTUP!
Maybe you can do better!
lol ;D 

edit - no offensive language - wdleehi
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 10:05:53 AM by wdleehi »