Author Topic: Anybody else have that gut feeling that Posey is as good as gone....  (Read 7632 times)

Re: Anybody else have that gut feeling that Posey is as good as gone....
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 10:37:47 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
DA is being as generous with Posey as he can possibly be.  With this teams cap issues he needs the MLE for the other team needs.  He's doing his due dilligence.  I think the offer is as high as it gets, but I think Posey ultimately chooses Boston.  I think Cleveland (that is not in need of help at his position) is a decent dark horse (never underestimate someone especially a vet wanting to play for their hometown) and N.O. has an outside shot too.  I doubt the lakers for some reason, especially if they are trading for Artest soon, but I think here is still his #1 money or no money.

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 10:43:24 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
Since when is he a "core player." He was singed to a 1 year contract and didn't start. We all want him back, but he is not core.

He's as much a core player as Rajon Rondo OR Kendrick Perkins.   People focus on the "start" component, but who cares ... he plays as much as our 4th and 5th starter.  He's the first guy off the bench.   

Whether he's worth 5 years is debatable. With or current cap situation, I see no reason not to give him 4 years.   Like it or not, our window is the next 4 years at best.

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 10:46:35 PM »

Offline ToBrien1124

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 4
I absolutely think Posey is a core player. I guess it depends on what your definition of a "core" player is. I go beyond the Big Three and Rondo, I look at a "core" player as any individual player that is instrumental to our success, in our case winning a championship.

If I could, I would like to compare this situation to lets say...if Big Pappi was a free agent next off-season. We know he is getting older, and his skills are starting to diminish, his stats may be down. But would you let the ultimate team player, the one giving bearhugs, rallying the team together for a comeback, hitting the occasional moonshot(Posey's corner three). Not to mention his clutch play. You wouldn't want to let Ortiz go, granted it may be a different sport but Ortiz brings to the Sox what Tedy Bruschi brings to the Pats, and what James Posey brings to the Celtics. Its okay to be sentimental towards a player when his intangibles are "that" good.

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 10:48:32 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
Ainge is doing the right thing.  You cant give a 31 year old 5 years and the full MLE. Max offer 4 years 19M

If their was somebody superior to Posey out there then I agree with you, but I don't see anyone that can measure up.  Plus, do you really think Posey will be that bad when he is 36?  Teams are looking at him as a starter, as a shooting guard for that matter. Yes, that amount of money would be overpaying him but does it really matter when Birdman, and somebody like Tyrone Lue  would be replacing him.

Totally Agree, First TP
congrat!

andrew bogut just got 5yrs/72 million. This isn't the first contract we have heard of in the last 24 hours that makes anyone with any sense whatsoever know 100% for sure, that Posey is worth the mle for four years, especially in this market.

I am convinced that DA knows this and they are just trying to make sure they can both stomach the final amount

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 10:54:54 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
you NEVER overpay in money and dollars for bench players.  i like posey, but he's not a starter in the nba.  he's a great 6th man, but you'd never want him starting for you over the long haul.

sometime back bill simmons (wisely) pointed out the milwaukee bucks as an example of bad contracts given out to role players...the celtics are eventually going to have to shell out major cash to rondo - you don't want posey's deal hampering future potential moves.

i'd give him the full mle for 3 years - take it leave it.  if not, then life moves on and so will the celtics.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 10:57:54 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
The only gut feeling I have is amazement at how few people on this board understand Posey's contributions to the championship.

Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2008, 10:59:04 PM »

Offline Roper

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
We really need to resign Posey.... I hope they have a secret deal "go see what you are worth and that is what we will pay you to resign with us so everyone is happy type thing"

We big time need Eddie House back too... What the hell is going on with that situation? the guy was so big all year with his 3's and spreading the court... we need to sign him too

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2008, 11:03:16 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
If we resign Posey and House that will solidified our roster again, then we can go and get two bigs Kwame and Birdman. considering neither walker nor JR get send overseas.

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2008, 11:09:44 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
you NEVER overpay in money and dollars for bench players.  i like posey, but he's not a starter in the nba.  he's a great 6th man, but you'd never want him starting for you over the long haul.

Curiously, he was a starter for the NBA Champions two years ago.

Posey would be a starter, or a faux bench player like Ginobili, for lots of teams in the NBA, including contenders like Cleveland or New Orleans.

And we're talking about the MLE. The MLE is not overpaying a "great 6th man", quite the opposite.

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2008, 11:13:31 PM »

Offline Truth Hurts

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
It's about who finishes the game, not who starts.
"Odom drains another 16-footer. It's 24-7, Lakers. They look so possessed on both ends that they've earned at least five sitting ovations from the Lakers' crowd." - Simmons

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2008, 11:18:55 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
After hearing Spears on CSN tonight saying that the other teams in the bidding (Cleveland, NO, and Detroit) are not interested in giving Posey the entire MLE, I am feeling better about his chances to return. 

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2008, 11:20:25 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
After hearing Spears on CSN tonight saying that the other teams in the bidding (Cleveland, NO, and Detroit) are not interested in giving Posey the entire MLE, I am feeling better about his chances to return. 

Good Update.

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2008, 11:21:11 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I'm not so sure anymore if he's leaving. The Cavs and Lakers are well over the tax threshold.  If the Cavs offer him the full MLE or close to it a team could swoop in and off West or Gibson both restricted free agents part of their MLE and if the Cavs matched they could be very close to the Knicks team salary and already have about the third highest payroll.  The Lakers have money tied up to 3 SF already in Radman, Ariza, and Walton.  The Spurs already used part of their MLE on Mason.  Maybe the Hornets are a darkhorse since they aren't close to paying the tax.  Maybe the Rockets too but a full MLE I think would put them into tax territory.  I don't think any other team has been seriously rumored.  

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2008, 11:31:40 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
the Celtics are not going to be winning a title 5 years from now anyway - we'll be rebuilding by then anyway. win now while we got the muscle !!! (to quote Frank Pantangale)

Posey is just as core as Paul Silas was in 1976 - sign the guy !!

would Posey accept the full MLE @ 4 years ??
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 11:37:21 PM by tenn_smoothie »
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2008, 11:37:29 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
the Celtics are not going to be winning a title in 5 years from now anyway - we'll be rebuilding by then anyway.

Posey is just as core as Paul Silas was in 1976 - sign the guy !!

win a couple of banners while we can.

would Posey accept the full MLE @ 4 years ??

Reading the first part of your post, I almost wanted to stab you over the net. You're right if the owners and danny want to wait another 22 years don't sign posey. Meanwhile, we can root for the lakers winning more championships with Posey. Good Job Danny!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 12:19:26 AM by Change »