Author Topic: #1 Priority should be a Big!  (Read 5179 times)

Re: #1 Priority should be a Big!
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 09:51:36 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Rumor has it from Chad Ford that Kurt Thomas will be resigning with the Spurs. Too Bad, he would be ideal.

I think the Birdman comes in.

If we bring in two bigs that means either Leon or BBD is gone. That's just too much of a log jam upfront. Am I wrong here?

There isn't a big man worth giving the MLE to or I would be in agreement.

I wonder if Ainge called Thomas' agent.  Does he really like San Antonio that much, or does he think that the Spurs have a chance to win a championship with their current roster?  That the Spurs didn't get any significant upgrades to their bench (3 of which I think are done), I don't think they get to the Finals next season.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2008, 12:26:41 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I am 100% in favor of re-signing Posey and House and think that they are a big part of our success, but does no one remember the disaster we had in game 5 when Perk when out with his shoulder?

Perk played 13 minutes (weird how its 13 in each game, but hey) in games 2, 4 and 6... I think we did ok in those

Are you trying to counter my point, or strehgthen it? That was the point. Even for that stretch he is out there he helps set a defensive tone that we need. The game he wasn't out there we get beat inside badly.

I'm sorry, but Birdman is a tall SF, not a center. Just because you are tall doesn't make you a center anymore than being short makes you a PG. (This was from an incident the other night in pickup ball!)

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 12:29:01 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I am 100% in favor of re-signing Posey and House and think that they are a big part of our success, but does no one remember the disaster we had in game 5 when Perk when out with his shoulder?

Perk played 13 minutes (weird how its 13 in each game, but hey) in games 2, 4 and 6... I think we did ok in those

Are you trying to counter my point, or strehgthen it? That was the point. Even for that stretch he is out there he helps set a defensive tone that we need. The game he wasn't out there we get beat inside badly.

I'm sorry, but Birdman is a tall SF, not a center. Just because you are tall doesn't make you a center anymore than being short makes you a PG. (This was from an incident the other night in pickup ball!)

have to disagree about birdman, hes a good big defender, he does play somewhat like kg on offense (i.e SF) but on defense he's a good, solid defender and rebounder.

the real challenge will be keeping him focused on basketball, and not, emmm "trips" to certain streets in roxbury  ::)

now, of course thomas would be awesome as well, but i dont really think that going to come to pass. hope im wrong though.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2008, 12:31:29 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Mutombo just won't leave the Rockets. The Birdman will end up Boston, but I think a good back up big with experience could be Ratliff. He's already made his bucks on overpaid contracts before. He can still get up and down the court on one breath, and still looks intemidating when he goes to block shots. Right?
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 12:33:57 PM »

Offline ForexPirate

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 19
maybe we should sign kandi again

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2008, 12:36:39 PM »

Offline celt4ever

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 2
kurt thomas it's the best player for this team but i don't think he's comming.  anderson it's not bad but what about mourning he could be our mutombo

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008, 12:49:17 PM »

Offline Barnabas

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 11
We might want to go with someone relatively young this time around, instead of someone who's close to retirement.  PJ did a good job during the playoffs, but consider that he didn't play the entire year.  At his age, who knows how he might have held up if he had played an entire regular season plus the postseason.  With that thinking in mind, I would think someone like the Birdman would be a good choice as the primary backup to Perk.  Pollard, who is somewhat injury-prone, but still relatively "young", might do okay as the third-string backup Big.  Even a backup combo of Birdman and Rattliff wouldn't be too bad.  We can then use the MLE to pursue a high-scoring combo SF/SG. 

We do need more offense from the bench, but the $ just isn't there to purchase a big man who could give that.  The best bang for the $ when it comes to finding a good-defending, good-shooting backup might be in the SF/SG position.  I can see why Maggette could have been an impact player for this team.