Author Topic: #1 Priority should be a Big!  (Read 5177 times)

#1 Priority should be a Big!
« on: July 09, 2008, 09:14:39 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I am 100% in favor of re-signing Posey and House and think that they are a big part of our success, but does no one remember the disaster we had in game 5 when Perk when out with his shoulder? PJ did his best to fill in when Powe struggled, but it was no comparison to having Perk in there. He just wasn't strong enough.

We need to come up with a true center to come in and fill in and rebound. He doesn't need to have an offensive game. He just needs to play decent defense and rebound. I think Jamaal Magloire has the most talent out of anyone maybe outside of Kwame. He may do well coming in here and backing up Perk. David Harrison would be another good one but will likely get matched.

I think this is a bigger need/hole to fill and hope we don't just spend all our cash giving Posey too much.

Re: #1 Priority should be a Big!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 09:18:02 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
There just isn't a big left who is a UFA that fits our needs that I can think of that is worth from 4 million to the MLE range.

Also, most of the bigs are probably other than Kwame just Vet's minimum, or 2 Mil signings..

Also, I do not like Elson.

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 09:21:49 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
There just isn't a big left who is a UFA that fits our needs that I can think of that is worth from 4 million to the MLE range.

Also, most of the bigs are probably other than Kwame just Vet's minimum, or 2 Mil signings..

Also, I do not like Elson.

What about Magloire for the vet minimum?! This is a career 8 and 8 player who is not quite the same guy, but knows how to play. I doubt someone is going to put down big dollars for him, so he might just sign for the minimum to get a shot at a ring...

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 09:23:31 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I'd surely agree that it could/should be the number one priority if there was a big man available in free agency who was good enough to fill that void.

If Alonzo Mourning was interested I think he could fill it. I don't see any other big man on the market being a substantial upgrade over what the team can get at the LLE or minimum.

Of the bigs you've mentioned I wouldn't touch Magloire. He's finished. He just doesn't have enough athleticism left to compete. He couldn't get off the bench in NJ or Dallas, two teams desperate for big man help. If you thought Sam Cassell looked old when he was here ... you'll go nuts watching Magloire. David Harrison is somewhere down my list around 4 or 5 probably. He has a terrible injury history, worse than Pollard's, which is the main reason he drops on my list. Even without that injury history you're taking a chance on a player who hasn't ever played to his capabilities for a lengthily period of time .... that said he's shown more ability than most minimum contract centers so there's still some interest there for that reason. Kwame, yeah I don't know what to make on Kwame as a potential addition to the team.

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 09:24:07 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I think it's going to be the birdman, although I would like Mourning myself

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 09:28:19 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I am 100% in favor of re-signing Posey and House and think that they are a big part of our success, but does no one remember the disaster we had in game 5 when Perk when out with his shoulder?

Perk played 13 minutes (weird how its 13 in each game, but hey) in games 2, 4 and 6... I think we did ok in those
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 09:29:45 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
You're 100% right, we need to get taller and stronger quickly. The issue is Posey, he holds the key to what we do next. To me you either give him what he wants or move on. #1 priority should be a decent backup to Perk. And I'm leaning towards Kwame Brown, YES, the "Kwame Brown". He's tall, strong, excellent defender and rather young 26YO. He needs to prove what he's capable of before his officially considered a bust, and the perfect place is Here in Celtics Nation where he gets yet another chance in the limelight. With the help of KG he can teach him a thing or two.

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 09:32:23 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
It could be Birdman but don't forget about Pollard.   If his ankles are fine he is a serviceable defensive back up big and already knows the system who could be had for maybe the vet min.    

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 09:41:07 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
But BidMan can't intimidate anyone, we need an intimidator a FORCE in the middle. Posey and Perk were our Force on defense our Muscle. I think Kwame can do that, since Defense is our Fourté.

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 09:59:37 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Too bad Alonzo has no interest in leaving Miami.

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 10:28:40 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I think we are gonna get two bigs.  Birdman and maybe Harrison, or Pollard as insurance, but one sure fire backup and one insurance/extra fouls guy at the minimum for one or both of them.

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 10:33:04 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102

NOAT MOARNING

MOOTTOMBOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 10:37:07 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I really don't like any of the options out there right now. Alonzo said he'd be retiring for good before the season, and everyone else isn'treally that appealing. I want the Wiley vet not just the extra big body.

I wish we were after Kurt Thomas he's like a bulkier Brown. Did he already resign with the spurs?

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 10:37:59 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
 ;D Mutombo  ;D, love him but come on brother the man is 70 lol. Kwame and BirdMan i'm leaning towards.

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 09:30:15 AM »

Offline RonJohn

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 7
Rumor has it from Chad Ford that Kurt Thomas will be resigning with the Spurs. Too Bad, he would be ideal.

I think the Birdman comes in.

If we bring in two bigs that means either Leon or BBD is gone. That's just too much of a log jam upfront. Am I wrong here?

There isn't a big man worth giving the MLE to or I would be in agreement.