Author Topic: Can we repeat w/current roster?  (Read 8635 times)

Re: Can we repeat w/current roster?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 10:07:08 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Answering the OP question:

No, I don't think we would repeat with that roster.

But this shows us an important thing: we already have depth and youth. Now what we need are difference makers from the bench, not more 8th/9th men and guys to develop.

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 10:29:19 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
So everyone pretty much agrees we can't repeat with this current roster. So does that make signing Posey even that much more important? Plus we need 1 or 2 PJ like players to come in play defense, rebound, pickup extra fouls. What about Kwame?

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 10:40:49 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Are you really saying that you expect us to not sign any free agents?

And you screwed up your depth chart. Walker is the backup sf, Scal is on the 3rd team.

I guess we finally have a spot on the roster for Ben Pepper.

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 10:44:37 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
Unless Walker AND Giddens emerge to a higher degree than expected, I'd say no.  Our lack of depth would catch up with us.

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 10:58:56 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas

And you screwed up your depth chart. Walker is the backup sf, Scal is on the 3rd team.

Really, you really think Walker is ahead of Scal, maybe in future but now. Scal is ahead of JR and Walker, remember they haven't even set a foot in an NBA game yet. Seriously guys our depth could catch up with us if we lose Posey. Plus we're too small in the frontcourt.

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 11:05:49 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
There is no way we don't sign any free agents. But even if we can't sign a huge free agent we are still in a good position. I think BBD and Powe will have very good years, I think Giddens is athletic enough to harass people for small amounts of time in a backup role. I think Pruitt will also help us a lot. I think the playoff run will have unmeasurable benefits to the development of our young players which will be seen in the upcoming season.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2008, 11:06:56 PM »

Offline fan33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 5
You see, this is the problem I have with this fatalisim: I rmrmber in last years preseason(pre-Posey signing)that the bench beat out the starters in quite a few scrimages, which upset KG to not talking to some of the bench players until the starters began evening up the score. Granted scrimages are short minutes, but still its an indication of how very good they already were though raw and in short minutes, more similar to what bench players actually are called upon to produce during the upcoming season.

Pieces will be added AND guys will show to further develop, And the three will have further gelled together.

I understand criticism and analysing is what boards do best, but dang...lol

I do enjoy all of this, so don't get me wrong; Patients and trust, guys ;)

/ Is it November yet ;)
"Indefatigable on Defense, defines these Celtics"

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2008, 11:15:09 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
There is no way we don't sign any free agents. But even if we can't sign a huge free agent we are still in a good position. I think BBD and Powe will have very good years, I think Giddens is athletic enough to harass people for small amounts of time in a backup role. I think Pruitt will also help us a lot. I think the playoff run will have unmeasurable benefits to the development of our young players which will be seen in the upcoming season.

In the future Yes. We're talkng about the current year, i don't expect JR and Pruitt to have any significant role this year. This team won largely because of "Vets" experienced guys. Slowly but surely they can earn minutes but nothing major this upcoming season. If i can rekindle your memory in the 5 years Detroit, Spurs, Miami, Spurs, Boston won with proven vets. Experience matters in this league specially when times got tough and PJ stepped up with the big shot in game 7 vs Cleveland.
EXPERIENCE MATTERS!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 11:29:28 PM by Change »

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2008, 11:20:30 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I think Posey is a must resign at this point. I think re-signing House can wait, I don't want House complaining about minutes if Pruitt comes ready to contribute this coming season. While House was solid for us, his value was more in his ability to hit open shots more than anything else. If we find a true point guard who can hit the 3 consistently I think house is gone.

After resigning Posey, finding a backup center is where the true trouble will be. There's basically no one as good as PJ out there right now. I think we're going to end up settling and end up with a pollard 2.0. Probably someone on the end of the bench just in case, whoever it is probably won't be a true contributor.

-------------------------------------------------------

As for Scal it amazes me he's still in the league. I'm not sure he'd make the rotation on an NBDL team. As far as i'm concerned Pruitt, Giddens, and Walker can help this team more than Scal.

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2008, 11:45:43 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Really, you really think Walker is ahead of Scal, maybe in future but now. Scal is ahead of JR and Walker, remember they haven't even set a foot in an NBA game yet. Seriously guys our depth could catch up with us if we lose Posey. Plus we're too small in the frontcourt.

I was kidding about Scal and Walker. But seriously, are you saying you expect Ainge to not sign any free agents and leave those roster spots open?

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2008, 12:25:00 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas

I was kidding about Scal and Walker. But seriously, are you saying you expect Ainge to not sign any free agents and leave those roster spots open?

Danny is gonna play the waiting game with Posey, after the Posey saga ends he's gonna shift his focus. Meanwhile, for now all he can do is wait and hopefully Posey returns. What can be frustrated is those legit FA are going left and right while he's waiting.

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2008, 01:14:40 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
This team is the team to beat. Who did we lose?  The young guys will be better this year and we will have gelled more. Celtics are the team to beat.

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2008, 06:07:02 AM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
I believe we have a shot to win because we have the Big 3 and Rondo!

But we do need more solid bench guys to get the job done in the playoffs....just makes it so much easier.

Can Powe/Leon and others step up? I'm sure they can....but do I want to rely on them? No.

Danny get some some more vets.....

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2008, 08:58:13 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Well, first, it's highly unlikely we don't get anyone else. 

Second, maybe.  I couldn't see the C's winning the East with that lineup and winning the title.  However, if the brass conceded the East title, kept the starters minutes down, took a mid-seed, then yes, if Doc rode his well-rested starters hard in the playoffs--and they held up--the C's might just pull it off when rotations tighten in the playoffs. 

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2008, 09:12:55 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
This team is the team to beat. Who did we lose?  The young guys will be better this year and we will have gelled more. Celtics are the team to beat.

look at the bench right now, the Celtics don't have:

A backup center
A backup pg
A backup wing who has played more than 15 games in the league

No Sam + No PJ + No Eddie + No Posey + No TA + No Pollard =  No bench

When your second best bench player is Brian Scalabrine, you are in some serious trouble

I've said it before and I've said it again though - the team will get their guys and there will be a solid season, just not with the bench as currently made
When you love life, life loves you right back