Author Topic: Can we repeat w/current roster?  (Read 8639 times)

Can we repeat w/current roster?
« on: July 09, 2008, 08:12:57 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
With the trouble C's had in the playoffs against the East, and the East improving: Toronto (Addition O'Neal), Philadelphia (Addition Brand), Washington (Healthy Big 3), Miami (Healthy Wade), Milwaukee (Addition Jefferson), Atlanta (With J-Smith), Orlando (Addition Pietrus), Detroit (Still Good), Cleveland (Lebron 1v5),   
Can our current roster stay on TOP? Could they be ousted in 1st round?

Roster

Starting Unit
1)R. Rondo
2)R. Allen
3)P. Pierce
4)K. Garnett
5)K. Perkins

Second Unit
1)G. Pruitt
2)JR. Giddens
3)B. Scalabrine
4)L. Powe
5)G. Davis

Third Unit
1)B. Walker
2)??
3)??
4)??
5)??

Re: Can we repeat w/current roster?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 08:22:12 PM »

Offline adam8

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
Yes because its the east and teams may be getting better but there is still a big gap from boston detroit and cleveland to anyone else, toronto has no good swing players, Milwaukee needs a lot more than jefferson to compete for the 8th spot let alone compete with the celts, Pietrus doesn't help the magic, detroit is another year older the heat are better but they aren't the celtics going from worst to first.

The celtics have the starters returning and are still going to pick up players it may or may not be posey but you can bet they aren't done. And anyone playing with pierce Allen and KG are going to look better than they really are

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 08:43:17 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
Yes because its the east and teams may be getting better but there is still a big gap from boston detroit and cleveland to anyone else, toronto has no good swing players, Milwaukee needs a lot more than jefferson to compete for the 8th spot let alone compete with the celts, Pietrus doesn't help the magic, detroit is another year older the heat are better but they aren't the celtics going from worst to first.

The celtics have the starters returning and are still going to pick up players it may or may not be posey but you can bet they aren't done. And anyone playing with pierce Allen and KG are going to look better than they really are

You do have a good argument, but lets not forget the same thing was said about the Celtics last season when KG arrived. A year later we won #17, things could change drastically at any given moment. The East is very solid and tough. No other team in the NBA can compete with our starting Five, at the same time we won the title largely because of House, Posey, PJ. Danny has to work his magic once more to surround "Big 3" with legit players. Currently, we have 3 rookies (Pruitt, JR, Walker) that we don't know much about and Scal (waste). And realistically i doubt our 3 rookies gonna provide much help, they have to adjust and grow in their 1st year. We do 4 roster spots open with small amount of money to fill those spots with legit players. Another thing is that CM is gone, Posey probably is gone 4 more money, Pietrus is gone, we're running out of options. As We Say "In Danny We Trust". I hope everything works out.

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 08:44:51 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
No.  They need more pieces. 

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 08:46:13 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
No probably not

This current roster is the one everybody feared happening last summer. Great starting lineup being dragged down by poor bench play. It would catch up with them at some point.

They need reinforcements. Vets who know their business. Add Eddie and Posey to the mix and yes they can repeat.

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 08:47:48 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
It is too early to ask this question. It is only the first day of free agency. Ask again during training camp. The C's will be solid by then.

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 09:01:02 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
It is too early to ask this question. It is only the first day of free agency. Ask again during training camp. The C's will be solid by then.

I hope you're right. I'm not panicking yet. For some reason there's this thought in the back of my head that the "Miami Jinx" could haunt this team as while, maybe not now but in the future. As easy as it was to assemble this team, its even easier to disassemble it. The notion that PJ not coming back even in February, House not resigning, Posey might be gone, Ray Allen might be gone next year freaks me out. Some of you waited 22 years for another title, i personally been a fan since 2001. We must keep this team intact for as long as they can be effective while nurturing the young guys.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 09:10:25 PM by Change »

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 09:07:06 PM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
The big problem now is we're wasting time waiting on Posey to go around leisurely shopping himself. In the meantime other guys we could be getting by splitting our MLE are being scooped up by other teams. 
Now if Pose resigns---no problem, but if he bails, and doesn't do it soon, it really hoses us!
I've got the bad feeling that Pose is going elsewhere for the jack, and is gonna leave us scrambling to sign leftovers in a very weak year for free agents!

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 09:19:59 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
I'm hearing that the Posey holdup is because of the years and the per year salary. So, neither the C's nor Posey is Compromising could we keep our hopes up any longer of having Posey back. Clearly the C's aren't budging neither is Posey, so you either move on or give the man what he wants? Our roster needs to improve quickly, or our second unit might never be up to par with other contenders second units.

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 09:24:16 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
The big problem now is we're wasting time waiting on Posey to go around leisurely shopping himself. In the meantime other guys we could be getting by splitting our MLE are being scooped up by other teams. 
Now if Pose resigns---no problem, but if he bails, and doesn't do it soon, it really hoses us!
I've got the bad feeling that Pose is going elsewhere for the jack, and is gonna leave us scrambling to sign leftovers in a very weak year for free agents!

I couldn't agree more.  Right now we need to let Posey go.  Thanks for the help, but if you're in it for the cash then see ya later.  We should be going after Childress from the Hawks.  I don't know what other offers he has but he'd be a decent backup for our team.  If both Smith and Childress are offered things ATL won't match both if I had to guess. 

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 09:29:51 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
No, our bench would be too weak. We'd be relying too much on unexperienced youth. A second year point, a rookie SG, a 3rd string Tweener at SF, and two undersized PF's for our back court. The drop between subs and starters would be too great a drop-off.

Out of all those subs can you honestly say you trust anyone other than Powe to be consistently productive?

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 09:31:07 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
if the celtics go into the season with that bench, I'd be a bit worried... that's an NBDL allstar bench you've got there, but not an NBA one unfortunately - but again I think the C's will do fine in free agency, and to be honest, even if they don't finish #1 in the East (which I think they will) they've got the playoff experience now, the bench rotation shortens (glaring need for a backup pg though) and they'll be fine - chances of repeating with the team as currently constituted, minimal... chances of repeating once Danny does his job, very very good
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 09:35:44 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
Out of all those subs can you honestly say you trust anyone other than Powe to be consistently productive?

I would say no one besides Powe. Danny needs to act quickly and make up his mind you either give Posey what he wants or move on? There is this other Thread talking about we need to get BIG quick. And they're right getting a decent back-up Center should be our #1 Priority. The reason we struggled in the East and Game 5 against the Lakers is SIZE.

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 09:42:47 PM »

Offline fan33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 5
Yes and here's why:

We will make the 7 game series playoffs.

The team as constituted has pleanty of room durring the season for the existing roster to develop, meaning Rondo, Perk, Powe, BBD, Pruit and yes J.R. into a bench that can hold the score for the first string.

There will be pick-ups due to the Championship team draw even befor spring training,and on the cheap, bet!

There will be left over ability for mid season trades/flexability if these pieces continue to develop with available finincial space considering it wasn't used up presently in this FA signings.

Then we have vet minimum and semi retired signings durring the last month of the R. Season with who we cannot yet forsee, but I wouldn't at all be suprised if P.J.  for one, came back!

Lots of possibilitys and flexability for signings and pieces yet to be added and they will, as well as our youth playing with the confidence of Champions and a year wiser gets us into the playoffs alone with the Three Amigos ;)

Once in the playoffs, in a 7 game series, I'll take this team to win it warts and all ;)  8)
"Indefatigable on Defense, defines these Celtics"

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 09:51:55 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

I would say no one besides Powe. Danny needs to act quickly and make up his mind you either give Posey what he wants or move on? There is this other Thread talking about we need to get BIG quick. And they're right getting a decent back-up Center should be our #1 Priority. The reason we struggled in the East and Game 5 against the Lakers is SIZE.

The only big in this FA class who was worth more than the Minimum/LLE was Diop and he's gone. I'm pretty sure that Ainge has already some offers out there for some bigs. What's the rush?