Author Topic: Bogut gets 5 yr/72.5 million contract  (Read 13820 times)

Re: Bogut gets 5 yr/72.5 million contract
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 08:55:20 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
I think Bogut is underrated - not worth the contract, but better than other big men that are similarly paid.  His numbers next year will be around 15 ppg, 10 rpg, and 2 blocks.  He could be a starting center on a championship team.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 09:01:19 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Bogut seems like a potential player, maybe an upgraded Brad Miller type Center. I've seen him hit some 3's in the FIBA games, but here in 3 years he shoots 1-15...He, along with Villanueva, need to practice hitting the 3 ball. It's a deadly weapon to have just to spread the floot, let alone to be able to hit it when the shot clock is running down and your guards are heavily defended.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 09:11:12 PM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
I think Bogut is a bit underrated, and since he's a legit center and these types of players seem to get paid more than others, this contract is fair.
Also just a little insight, this contract really meant a lot to him since he was sitting out games for the Austrlian national team (as much as he wanted to play) and the reason he said was he didn't want to have any chance of getting injured and not getting the best available contract.
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 09:25:16 PM »

Offline Las Vegas Asian

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 6
All I can say is.....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LGM5GkINMMI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen"

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 09:40:33 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
Well, this is the season when everyone overpays.  Diop got the full five years starting at the MLE from Dallas, Beno Udrih got it from the Kings... the list goes on.

The year? Just this year? Ha, no.

Every center in the NBA that is able to walk and grab 5 rebounds per game, is rewarded with superstar contracts. They all get them.

This contract is sickening, yet I'm used to it at this point.

I'm convinced that Perk will make $8.5 million per year by 2012.
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 09:44:42 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
wow.....almost 15 million a year for Bogut? The bucks really are crazy. Jefferson and Redd arent going to work well together.

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2008, 09:58:10 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Well, this is the season when everyone overpays.  Diop got the full five years starting at the MLE from Dallas, Beno Udrih got it from the Kings... the list goes on.

Buyer's remorse won't set in until next January.

The longer the free agency madness goes on, the harder it is to argue against paying Posey the full MLE.

But I haven't crossed over yet...

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2008, 10:05:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

The year? Just this year? Ha, no.

Every center in the NBA that is able to walk and grab 5 rebounds per game, is rewarded with superstar contracts. They all get them.

This contract is sickening, yet I'm used to it at this point.

I'm convinced that Perk will make $8.5 million per year by 2012.

I've said elsewhere, by then I think both Rondo and Perk will be averaging $10 million a year on their contracts.

The numbers for big guys are pretty out of hand.

Bogut
Dalembert
LaFrentz
Ben Wallace
Ratliff
Kwame Brown
Brad Miller
Zach Randolph

None of these guys were worth the money they signed for from the second they signed their six and seven figure per year contracts.

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2008, 10:23:10 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I see nothing wrong with the contract.  He will most definately be worth it if he can stay healthy

Bogut's February numbers 14.5 ppg, 10 rpg, 2.2 apg, 1.8 bpg, 43% shooting
Bogut's March numbers 15.7 ppg, 11.4 rpg, 3.6 apg, 2.1 bpg, 49% shooting
Bogut's April numbers 17.6 ppg, 11.4 rpg, 2.5 apg, 1.5 bpg, 57% shooting

Bogut had some early season rust and it took the whole Bucks team to realize just how good he could be.  I fully expect Bogut to be a double double man over the life of the extension as well as an excellent shot blocker and passer. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2008, 10:32:41 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I see nothing wrong with the contract.  He will most definately be worth it if he can stay healthy

Bogut had some early season rust and it took the whole Bucks team to realize just how good he could be.  I fully expect Bogut to be a double double man over the life of the extension as well as an excellent shot blocker and passer. 

Yeps. The fact their backcourt was crowded with ball-hogs didn't help either. Bogut is a 23 years old 7 footer 3 years veteran who puts nice numbers and still has upside. I think it's a pretty fair deal for both parts. If they didn't offer him $12M/year, he'd walk for nothing.

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2008, 11:06:05 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Chris Kaman is a similar player to Bogut. He signed for $52.5mil over 5 years. Yes, Bogut is ridiculously overpaid.

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2008, 11:19:00 PM »

Offline orrzor

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 58
It's a lot but Bogut is a skilled 7 footer who plays hard and I think is still improving. Anyway it's only 2 or 3 million more per year than he is actually worth. We've seen way worse contracts.

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2008, 11:38:52 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible

You could consider that a rusty start... but you could just as easily call that sudden increase of production a contract year.

In the last two months of the 2007-2008 season, the only two Bucks that played like they cared were Andrew Bogut and Ramon Sessions. Bogut played like he cared because he wanted to cash in (which he did), while Sessions was trying to prove that he can play (which he can).
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2008, 11:43:06 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Chris Kaman is a similar player to Bogut. He signed for $52.5mil over 5 years. Yes, Bogut is ridiculously overpaid.

Bogut was a 14ppg/10rpg/2.6apg/1.7bpg with 51%FG in his 3rd season and his stats improved drastically when the team started using him.

Kaman was a 12/10/.5/1.4 at the same time after being a 9/7 and 6/6 center in his first two seasons.

Bogut is a far better passer and has more upside, IMO, including a reliable jumper. The numbers Kaman put last season, in his 5th year, were similar to those Bogut had when they started playing Sessions.

It's worth the additional $1.5M/year, I think. If anything, perhaps Kaman is underpaid. But even if you consider that Kaman is fairly payed, I have troubles seeing how a $1.5M gap qualifies as ridiculous.

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2008, 11:45:37 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Personally I don't know what all the fuss is about...  Yes, he's being overpaid, but that is normal for centers with a pulse.  I think he'll be a 15-10-3 guy with efficient shooting for a while... yes, nothing spectacular, but how many spectacular true centers are their in the game right now?

I feel like if the Bucks didn't pay that much, somebody would've.  It's a tough decision... pay the guy too much money to make sure you keep him and don't create a planet-sized hole in the middle (Gadzuric, Ruffin, Voskuhl, Villanueva, and the rook Alexander are their only other C/PFs), or let him walk to keep cap flexibility in a somewhat undesirable location and give your team a shot at a low playoff seeding.

I don't envy the job of any small market GM in basketball.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.