Author Topic: Cavs focused on Posey?  (Read 9345 times)

Cavs focused on Posey?
« on: July 09, 2008, 04:11:39 PM »

Offline wildo05

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
A winner is someone who recognizes his God- given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals." - Larry Joe Bird

"Anything is Possible!" - KG

"I'm just surprised he wasn't whining about the foul calls." - Glen "Doc" Rivers (6-11-08)

Re: Cavs focused on Posey?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 04:14:34 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I think it would be devastating if Posey went to the Cavs and I will be very upset at Ainge if he goes to the Cavs on a 4 year deal.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 04:16:32 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Nothing that we didn't know already to tell you the truth.

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 04:25:30 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Cle is currently committed to 9 players for a total of about $77M.  Those 9 don't include West or Gibson both of whom you would expect they will sign.  If they sign Posey, West, Gibson, plus a couple of rookies or FA, they will be pushing $90M.  As I said in another post, if another team wants to be financially irresponsible and sign Posey to 4 years at $5.6M per, that is fine but we shouldn't match it just to match it.

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 04:29:02 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
To be honest, of the contenders he could go to, I think it is least damaging if he goes to the Cavs.  I don't think he is a great fit next to Lebron defensively.  I also think they were already an incredibly tough, and feisty team, so Posey's strengths don't stand out as much. 

Don't get me wrong, he definitely helps the Cavs, but I was much more worried about him going to a team like LA, Toronto, Portland, or some other team that he could really fit in well with.

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 04:31:21 PM »

Offline Truth Hurts

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
Cle is currently committed to 9 players for a total of about $77M.  Those 9 don't include West or Gibson both of whom you would expect they will sign.  If they sign Posey, West, Gibson, plus a couple of rookies or FA, they will be pushing $90M.  As I said in another post, if another team wants to be financially irresponsible and sign Posey to 4 years at $5.6M per, that is fine but we shouldn't match it just to match it.

You're right. If Cleveland wins the title, I will feel much better knowing that the Grousbeck's profit margin is higher. Thank heavens! They need to remodel their yachts!
"Odom drains another 16-footer. It's 24-7, Lakers. They look so possessed on both ends that they've earned at least five sitting ovations from the Lakers' crowd." - Simmons

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 04:40:50 PM »

Offline tallpaul

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
You figure that Cleveland's got to have some plan to do something other than wave bye to LeBron and Jay Z in 2 years. I surely don't think signing Posey will do it - but it might be a part of it. I do think it makes them better -- and they have been close -- but it alone won't get them over the top (unless LeBron is simply that good and take it to another, previously unseen, level). I do think the move could make sense for Posey - finacially and otherwise (bigger role, hometown, new challenge on a contending team, etc.)

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 04:42:49 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

You're right. If Cleveland wins the title, I will feel much better knowing that the Grousbeck's profit margin is higher. Thank heavens! They need to remodel their yachts!

I don't think many people are talking about saving money, they are talking about cap space and flexibility in 2010 and  2011.  This is why the C's don't want to commit to anyone for longterm, let alone Posey, who is on the wrong side of 30.

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 04:51:05 PM »

Offline Truth Hurts

• Payton Pritchard
We're not going to have cap space in 2010 anyway. You really want to let our 6th man walk over cap space in 2011, three yrs from now?

We're likely going to trade Ray/Scals in a year and half and be capped out in 2011 also. The point will be moot.
"Odom drains another 16-footer. It's 24-7, Lakers. They look so possessed on both ends that they've earned at least five sitting ovations from the Lakers' crowd." - Simmons

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 04:53:47 PM »

Offline spelz

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 13

I think the owners already put their money on the line.  They were willing to pay the luxury tax for Boston to have a chance to win the title.  Making money was no guarantee, but spending it was.  They have already proven they are willing to open their wallets.  Ainge just doesn't want to hurt the team financially down the road.

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 04:56:50 PM »

Offline Truth Hurts

• Payton Pritchard
How much total gross revenue do you think the Celtics take in? Include TV deals, merchandise, post-season games....everything.

Do you really think that Posey on the books for $7 million in 2011 is going to "hurt the team financially down the road"?

The Knicks have had $100 million+ payrolls the last few years with no playoffs until they finally started getting some stupid contracts off the books.

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 04:57:55 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
The first thing to do if the Cavs sign Posey is to make a fat offer to Delonte West, which leaves them completely exposed at point guard if they don't match.  

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 05:04:17 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
How much total gross revenue do you think the Celtics take in? Include TV deals, merchandise, post-season games....everything.

Do you really think that Posey on the books for $7 million in 2011 is going to "hurt the team financially down the road"?

The Knicks have had $100 million+ payrolls the last few years with no playoffs until they finally started getting some stupid contracts off the books.

This is a good point.  People talk about the luxury tax in apocolyptic terms.

Didn't the Celtics make money this past year?

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 05:08:21 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I doubt the Cavs are going to offer the MLE for 4 or 5 years. They don't need a small forward.

What they need is a nice PG or SG. And they need to keep West.

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 05:09:36 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

I don't think many people are talking about saving money, they are talking about cap space and flexibility in 2010 and  2011.  This is why the C's don't want to commit to anyone for longterm, let alone Posey, who is on the wrong side of 30.

How will we have cap space and flexibility in 2010 even not signing Posey or anyone else?