Author Topic: How about Theo Papaloukas and other options at point guard  (Read 3688 times)

How about Theo Papaloukas and other options at point guard
« on: July 09, 2008, 12:00:58 PM »

Offline Jr_Bremer1988

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
The three biggest holes for the celtics are:
1. Defensive stopper on the perimeter
2. Back up point guard with a jumpshot, and must be adequate in utilizing the pick and roll
3. A back up bigman taller than 6-8, who can at least block shots

I think the Celtics should try to reach out to Theo Papaloukas, he is a basketball genius, a proven winner, great in the clutch, can play both guard spots, plus he can shoot (at least better than Rondo) and defend.

Carlos Arroyo , a free agent would complement Rondo well. They are exact opposites of each other. The former, a shoot first, take charge point guard, while the latter a defensive minded, pass first, second and third point guard.

At center, I hope they can trade for David Lee, Jeff Foster, or sign Kurt Thomas, Alonzo Mourning.

For hole no.1, if they can't get Posey, they can try Quinton Ross, Ruben Patterson, Maurice Evans or they can re sign Tony Allen, Since Pietrus went to Orlando, playing him and Bogans can be redundant, the celtics can explore that possibility too.

Re: How about Theo Papaloukas and other options at point guard
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 12:20:34 PM »

Offline MrBlonde

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 2
I think your boy Theo is under contract for the next couple of years.

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 12:26:10 PM »

Offline sk7326

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 24
No rush -- backup PG is most fungible position ... easiest position to fill ... we will have a good one

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 12:27:13 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
No rush -- backup PG is most fungible position ... easiest position to fill ... we will have a good one

???

So may team have enough problems getting one good PG.  This is among the hardest positions to fill well. 

Easiest is SG off bench. 

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 12:29:29 PM »

Offline DannyZ

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Backup Point Guard: I'd like to bring Eddie House back.  If not Eddie, they should go after Jenero Pargo.

Backup 2/3:  I really like Josh Childress because of his athleticism and defense.  His shooting form is bad, but his percentages aren't that bad.

Backup 4/5:  Kurt Thomas and Najara look like good bets.  Both play defense and can shoot.

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 12:33:21 PM »

Offline RonJohn

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 7
I think Gabe Pruitt is going to step up.
I like Chidress.
I don't think there is much trade bait for David Lee. He fits really well into D'Antonio's system.
Keyon Dooling is out there. We could try and sign him. What about Livingston in a trade?

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 12:34:27 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I like Chidress.
I don't think there is much trade bait for David Lee. He fits really well into D'Antonio's system.
Keyon Dooling is out there. We could try and sign him. What about Livingston in a trade?
Shaun Livingston is an unrestricted free agent.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 01:15:24 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

I think GP doesn't make this team... I've seen no evidence to suggest he can play a big role in the NBA, especially at the pg
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 01:22:57 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Papaloukas would be too much money, he's getting paid bank over the water.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 01:29:35 PM »

Offline Jr_Bremer1988

• Jaden Springer
Thanks for the replies guys! This is my first topic posted!

I think we should give Gabe Pruitt a chance. He wasn't used much last year. We should first watch him play then we can decide. In playing point guard for the Celtics, you pretty much have to play off the ball, because the big three can bring the ball down and has the ball most of the time when Rondo is on the bench. And Pruitt can do that, because he can shoot, plus he has better point guard skills than Eddie House and Tony Allen. Plus, since he sat most of the time last year, I am under the impression that he took the time to learn the plays and the system.

Shaun Livingston is a pretty good option, at the third string point guard spot. Because of his height, floor vision, ball handling , he can create mismatches. He is coming off one of the most freakish injury in the history of the NBA, but he is a risk worth taking due to his upside. With limited playing time, he can gradually recover from his injury. He is a pure point guard, unlike Pruitt, House and Cassel, and because of his height and lenght, he can play with them too.

Janero Pargo exceeded expectations last year, however, I believe the Hornets won't let him go. Same with Childress.Dooling seems to be a realistic choice. Opposing point guards will have nightmares bringing the ball up to the point where they will mark on their calendar the days when they will face Rondo, Dooling and Pruitt.

For some reasons, I don't like Najera as a big man back up. He can't play Center. We need someone who can play the slot when Garnett and Perkins are on the bench.

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 01:57:11 PM »

Offline Jr_Bremer1988

• Jaden Springer
Theo is signed up to the 2010-2011 season for 2.7 million euros a year.

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 08:38:43 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Yeah. The Cels aren't guaranteed to get everyone back, due to possible retirements/players wanting bigger contracts, so yeah, immediate needs are the backup PG, SF, and big man. With the BIG 3 all being AllStar starters, I think that the backups on their positions should be filled by good vets with good locker room presence. Cassell will probably stray away to Denver to persue a coaching career under G. Karl, and PJ Brown will end up retiring with career ending injured Pollard. SO my experienced bench vets would be Tyron Lue(good friend of Garnett's)at the point -OR- FIBA great Sarunas Jasikevicius to run the point. He dominated the US team a few years ago with a Pick-n-Roll play ending with him hitting a 3 multiple times in a row. He never got a chance to help out Golden State, but he could benefit Boston espescially if we lose House or Posey, Matt Barnes could fill the void at the SF if Posey leaves. He's a pest on defense, can hit the 3, and will run and dunk. As for a big man, I'd love to see Zo recover and come to Boston to win a ring, or even Mutombo, but he's too much in love with Houston for whatever reason. Chris Anderson wouldn't be bad if he could stay off the grass, since he's an energetic clown that can dunk and block shots.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 08:55:01 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
The three biggest holes for the celtics are:
1. Defensive stopper on the perimeter
2. Back up point guard with a jumpshot, and must be adequate in utilizing the pick and roll
3. A back up bigman taller than 6-8, who can at least block shots

I think the Celtics should try to reach out to Theo Papaloukas, he is a basketball genius, a proven winner, great in the clutch, can play both guard spots, plus he can shoot (at least better than Rondo) and defend.

Carlos Arroyo , a free agent would complement Rondo well. They are exact opposites of each other. The former, a shoot first, take charge point guard, while the latter a defensive minded, pass first, second and third point guard.

At center, I hope they can trade for David Lee, Jeff Foster, or sign Kurt Thomas, Alonzo Mourning.

For hole no.1, if they can't get Posey, they can try Quinton Ross, Ruben Patterson, Maurice Evans or they can re sign Tony Allen, Since Pietrus went to Orlando, playing him and Bogans can be redundant, the celtics can explore that possibility too.

I really like the Arroyo idea.  He'd bring some scoring and energy to our bench at the backup pg spot.  Kinda like Eddie House, just not as pure a shooter, more a streak shooter.