Author Topic: How about Louis Williams?  (Read 2832 times)

How about Louis Williams?
« on: July 09, 2008, 11:14:00 AM »

Offline Proctology

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 5
For two reasons. One, to weaken a suddenly serious rival in Philadelphia. Two, because the guy is terrific. He can really score and isn't a bad on-ball defender. If we can't sign Posey, we can probably get Williams for less and radically upgrade the Eddie House role. I know it screws up the plans for Pruitt getting big minutes, but this kid can really play. Philly might match, but they might not also, given that they just maxed out to sign Brand and have a tough re-sign with AI2 coming up.

Williams could be the next Monta Ellis -- and the only way the Cs with their cap situation are going to snare another big-time player is to get lucky by betting on a young player before he fills out.

Just a thought. Obviously I'd prefer Posey or a good center, but Williams is the one very talented RFA that seems to be in our range.

Re: How about Louis Williams?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 11:27:39 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
He is restricted, meaning the 76ers would match.  (unless the Celtics offered way to much money like GS for Turiaf)

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 11:30:16 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I like him as a player.  Philly will definitely have a tough time matching offers for their restricted free agents after getting Brand.  I'm sure their full attention will be put on Iguodala so maybe someone could come in and take Williams from them.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 11:31:40 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
For two reasons. One, to weaken a suddenly serious rival in Philadelphia. Two, because the guy is terrific. He can really score and isn't a bad on-ball defender. If we can't sign Posey, we can probably get Williams for less and radically upgrade the Eddie House role. I know it screws up the plans for Pruitt getting big minutes, but this kid can really play. Philly might match, but they might not also, given that they just maxed out to sign Brand and have a tough re-sign with AI2 coming up.

Williams could be the next Monta Ellis -- and the only way the Cs with their cap situation are going to snare another big-time player is to get lucky by betting on a young player before he fills out.

Just a thought. Obviously I'd prefer Posey or a good center, but Williams is the one very talented RFA that seems to be in our range.

i like Williams a lot as a player, but i doubt that  he would sign a long term deal to play behind Rondo. i'm sure he wants to be a starter in the next few years...

i don't know what Philly can offer him, but at least he can look at Philly as a really good team for next year with a PG who most likely will be gone (his contract is up) the following season.

Williams is the heir apparent at the PG position in Philly and it makes sense for him to stay there, be a big factor off the bench on a likely playoff team next season and then move into the role that he most likely covets.

the only question is how much Philly wants to pay him. they do also have Iguodala to resign too. but why wouldn't they pay a promising player like Williams who plays a position that is hard to fill for any team?

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 11:39:56 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
Unless someone offers a really stupid deal, he will be back with Philly.  He was a big part of that team and I doubt they let him go.

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 11:44:06 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
I like him as a player.  Philly will definitely have a tough time matching offers for their restricted free agents after getting Brand.  I'm sure their full attention will be put on Iguodala so maybe someone could come in and take Williams from them.

Philly's contract structure (i'm no cap expert) actually seems perfect for them to sign Williams to a long term deal. i don't know how high they are on him as a starting PG, but my bet is that Mo Cheeks is grooming him to play that role.

and Andre Miller's 10 million dollar contract is up next season, so it would be a natural transition for him to sign a solid 5 year extension at around 8 mil per. it would not mess up the payroll at all as far as i can tell.

they would have long term deals to Brand, AI, Louis and Dalembert (basically their starting lineup) and very affordable rookie deals to Smith, Speights, Young and decent deals for bench/role bench players Evans and Green.

also Dalembert, Evans and Greens contracts are up when they would be looking to extend Young.....so their roster actually makes a lot of sense.

Miller/Williams
AI/Green
Young/FA (maybe a Matt Barnes)
Brand/Evans/Speights
Dalembert/Smith

they actually look to have a really fun team to watch.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 12:02:46 PM by winsomme »

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 05:48:16 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
Philly can't and won't give Louis Williams a 5 year contract at 8 mil per when he's coming off his first season of really contributing (as a Sixth Man on a sub-.500 team at that). That's way above market. I could see a 3 year deal starting around 4 or 5 mil, though, letting him get paid for the next few years while he builds up his value, and letting Philly get Bird rights on him in case he blows up if and when Miller leaves. Most of the Miller money I'm sure is pegged for Iguodala.

I don't think they have too big a problem spending money right now so that won't keep them from matching any offer and maybe giving a good contract unprovoked. But they already got burned a few years ago by giving big money to young role players who didn't completely pan out based on potential - Dalembert and Korver. They won't do the same thing again for Williams, who has a lot to prove before he can expect or seek anything above 4 mil a year.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 08:27:47 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Celtics aren't able to make a large enough offer to prize him away.

Louis Williams is already one of the better 6th men in the league. He's worth the MLE on current ability alone. They'll match anything at the MLE or below without a shadow of doubt.

Add in his potential and like future role in the Sixers franchise replacing the 32 year old Andre Miller sometime in the future ... they're not letting him go unless it's a very large offer. Nobody is making that large offer either. He'll back in a Sixers uniform.

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 09:09:09 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Sorry, but Philly has no true bench. They'll have to save a good portion of money to free up space for good free agents. Matt Barnes would never end up in Philly due to the head coach(Mo Cheeks). In an interview last season Barnes admitted to feeling depressd and worthless due to comments made to him by Cheeks. Other worthfull free agents to mention...Posey-too expensive. Josh Smith-his $ was spent on Brand. Magette/BDavis-both too expensive. Half the Spurs bench-too in love with the probablilty that the Spurs will come back and win as they do every other year. And most of the other great free agents have signed with other teams..
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 07:31:43 AM »

Offline micah kenneth

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 9
Louis Williams is a terrific player and honestly speaking he would challenge Rondo for his job !
The kid can score and play defense, he's quick as a cat and is getting better on all fronts.

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 09:13:11 AM »

Offline RonJohn

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 7
I think it's the same situation as Josh Childress. We can only offer the MLE and do we really want to offer the full MLE to him, tie up the cap for seven days until Philly matches and then watch Posey sign somewhere else while in that window? No thank you. Great player but I don't see how he fits into our plans?