Author Topic: Turiaf, Warriors agree on 4-year $17 million deal  (Read 10242 times)

Re: Turiaf, Warriors agree on 4-year $17 million deal
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2008, 06:07:10 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
Well at least Golden State had a few good years of ball out there. Now they are going back to the bottom feeder of the West.   

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2008, 06:07:33 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
$4 million/year for Turiaf?   :o

Panic in the streets out there.

;D Nearly 7-ft and plays with energy...Good defender...from all accounts a good guy.  Vital role player on a team which made the Finals.

Doesn't sound like a panic move to me.  Sounds like a good move. 

On the other hand, they traded a top-tier pouting player who plays when he feels like it (Davis) for a solid, cheaper player who plays when he can.  (Maggette). 

I don't have a problem with that move, either.....As long as they find a PG.

What is this team's plan?  Maggette at $10 million? Turief at $4 million for 4 years? (Dont think he's worth that at all) No more Baron.  Nellie has one foot out the door. They have big decisions to make next offseason with Biedrins & Ellis. 

Where is this team going?  They're certainly not good enough to compete with the big boys in the West.  However, they probably won't suck enough either to garner a high lottery pick. .500 or slightly below.  That's No Man's Land in the NBA. They're slowly wasting away what cap space they'd have.  I just don't see the direction here.

Let's see what they do with Harrington and Jackson.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2008, 06:07:51 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Too much money for a player who's decent at best. Hustle and passion doesn't equal ability.
We signed Perkins to the same deal, and everyone thought it was a steal.

Good point. He puts up Perks numbers, and can hit a jump shot. He just doesn't have the "low post girth" needed to start at the 5. I would love to have seen him come off the bench in Boston.

Perhaps I shouldn't have been too surprised by the $$. I expected 3/year. He got 4.2/year. Not that much of a difference.  ;D

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2008, 06:09:36 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Perkins being a center is a huge difference. Power forwards are much easier to find. GS overpaid in an attempt to get the Lakers not to match. It's never a good idea to pay all this much money to role players when you don't have stars. It's like when the Celtics gave out those contracts to Pervis and Dominique and Dee Brown.

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2008, 06:20:04 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
This is semi reminiscent of when GS overpaid for players like Dunleavy and Murphy.   I figured they learned their lesson but apparently not. 

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2008, 06:24:00 PM »

Offline MaineBleedsGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
this is the worst signing of any announced or speculated deals that I've read so far. One of my best friends is a Warriors fan. I already spent 30 minutes last night telling him it would be OK even tho BD left ... boy I hope he doesn't jump off the WillyBurg bridge tonight.

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2008, 06:25:07 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Perkins being a center is a huge difference. Power forwards are much easier to find. GS overpaid in an attempt to get the Lakers not to match. It's never a good idea to pay all this much money to role players when you don't have stars. It's like when the Celtics gave out those contracts to Pervis and Dominique and Dee Brown.
Turiaf a 6'10 backup big man. He might be too small to play full-time C, but I think he has all the tools to back up the spot in the league. He plays defense, blocks shots and can hit a jumper. $4.25 per year is not too much for someone who's serviceable.

Maybe GS gave it a bit of an extra kick, but I don't think they shot themselves in the foot at all. Turiaf's performance was pretty putrid in the playoffs, but I personally think he's better than that.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."