Author Topic: Turiaf, Warriors agree on 4-year $17 million deal  (Read 10240 times)

Turiaf, Warriors agree on 4-year $17 million deal
« on: July 09, 2008, 08:33:23 AM »

Offline gc1530

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
Warriors continue to throw around their money to try and patch up the mess left by Baron Davis' departure...hopefully this doesn't impact our negotiations with BGJ, as I think this is a huge overpayment for a mediocre player.

Lakers have 7 days to match.

http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/lakers/stories/PE_Sports_Local_S_turiaf_09.47b3657.html

Re: Turiaf, Warriors agree on 4-year $17 million deal
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 08:41:41 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Yet another poor decision by Golden State.  They would have been so much better off saving their cap room, and making a run at any number of free agents next season.  Instead, they're spending money like a drunken sailor on mediocre players.

If Turiaf is getting $4.25 million, there's no way we're getting Posey for less than the full MLE.  It's one thing when New York spends like idiots.  Golden State, though?  Ridiculous.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 08:41:51 AM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
The Warriors GM is in Panic mode.

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 08:43:34 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
I think drunken sailors would scoff at these deals  :o
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 08:44:26 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I imagine the Clippers will be the next team in panic mode, if they weren't the Clippers.  

I am going to call it now, Baron asks for a trade by mid season.  

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 08:45:27 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
If RT is getting 4 mil a year, big bad Leon Powe is gonna be looking at a similar payday next year....maybe more if he is the 1st forward off the bench all year next year
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 08:45:51 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
LOL at GSW.

If we don't get Posey, I hope he gets a max contract from Golden State.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 08:50:40 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
LA does have 7 days to match so knows...cough...Luke Walton...Cough ...cough
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 08:56:07 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Another poor rebounding to the rescue!

How long until Mully is fired? A year?

Would you just pull him over and sack him today? I would be very tempted.

Lakers aren't going to match that Ronny offer. They were dubious (especially Phil) of him prior to Free Agency, a four year 17mil contract is going to do nothing but send them the other way. With that the Lakers need to find a backup big man with a certain degree of desperation which gives them two positions of desperate need (defensive SF). They're not having themselves a good day.

Little extra pressure on Lamar now? 6th man or small forward? We'll see.

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 08:58:40 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Another poor rebounding to the rescue!

How long until Mully is fired? A year?

Would you just pull him over and sack him today? I would be very tempted.

Lakers aren't going to match that Ronny offer. They were dubious (especially Phil) of him prior to Free Agency, a four year 17mil contract is going to do nothing but send them the other way. With that the Lakers need to find a backup big man with a certain degree of desperation which gives them two positions of desperate need (defensive SF). They're not having themselves a good day.

Little extra pressure on Lamar now? 6th man or small forward? We'll see.

I wonder how much influence Nellie has.  He is a much better GM then coach. 

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 09:05:29 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
This really kind of makes me wonder... Is every GM in the NBA mentally deficient? That's a lot of money for a player who's never really been able to get off the bench.

So what if Turiaf won't sign for anything else? Boowhoo. Let him sign in Europe if he wants that much. Oh well, at least Powe will get a max contract from someone when he becomes a free agent.

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 09:06:59 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
This really kind of makes me wonder... Is every GM in the NBA mentally deficient? That's a lot of money for a player who's never really been able to get off the bench.

So what if Turiaf won't sign for anything else? Boowhoo. Let him sign in Europe if he wants that much. Oh well, at least Powe will get a max contract from someone when he becomes a free agent.

If that is how much a team wants to give him, why shouldn't he take it?

This is GS's fault.  Trying to offer more then he is worth in hope that LA doesn't match.

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 09:18:08 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I wonder how much influence Nellie has.  He is a much better GM then coach. 
Judging from afar last season I thought he had a huge amount of influence. Trading Jason Richardson was clearly a Nellie motivated move. I was sure he and Mully were close, discussing everything and agreeing the best possible moves.

But this season?

Jeez I'm surprised Nellie hasn't handed in his resignation over losing Baron Davis. Remember how disappointed he was when Nash left? He's seen this song before and he hates it. This is likely the final days of his career and he's been handed the keys to a 35 win team.

Corey Maggette? Nellie won't like him. Not as one of his top players.
Ronny Turiaf? Passive player who hardly ever uses his talents. Don't see Nellie liking him either.

I can't see Nellie being behind any of these moves or of having any influence with Mully. They should sack Mullin and hand over the keys to Nellie. Let him run the team. He's already said he wants Keith Smart to replace him when he leaves. There's a smooth succession plan in place. Start the process.

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 09:23:39 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!

If that is how much a team wants to give him, why shouldn't he take it?

This is GS's fault.  Trying to offer more then he is worth in hope that LA doesn't match.

I didn't say he shouldn't take it, I said Golden State shouldn't have offered that. They should have just set down a maximum of 1.5-2M and just said take it or leave it... If he chooses to leave it, good for him. If no one else wants to pay him what a European team might, let him go there. He's not that useful here anyway.

Seriously this is starting to be on par with baseball's terrible bloated contracts for mediocre players.

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 09:25:52 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
When you love life, life loves you right back