Author Topic: I Love Posey!! ------------- but  (Read 10198 times)

Re: I Love Posey!! ------------- but
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2008, 07:53:25 PM »

Offline BCelts

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13
i actually for the most part agree with fatjohn here. i think people are getting caught up in a straight scal vs posey comparison which definitely ludicrous. but i do believe a committee of players including scal, jr giddens, a signed fa wing defender, and of course paul pierce could handle poseys assignments at the wing and forward spots. is scal by himself the versatile defender posey is absolutely not. but scal can handle himself fairly well against mobile 4s. depending on matchups off the bench you could see him, davis or powe. on the wing you have giddens, paul and whatever fa we bring in. do we lose something without posey? maybe. its possible. but nowhere near as much as i think people are making it out to be.

im not a big fan of bringing tony back for this but in principle i agree with the idea and i would bet dollars to donuts danny would too. besides with posey at the 4 we were often far too jumpshot happy on offense and his d at the 4 was not as good as it was on the wing anyway so that would be something id want to avoid regardless.

I wrote something similar in another thread but, in short, Posey brings more total to the table than the other replacements you are suggesting.  So if we have Scal in instead of Posey, we have a worse defense on the Court.  Assuming Giddens exceeds my expectations and turns out to be as strong a wing defender as Posey, then even when we have Giddens on the Court we lose Posey's ability to switch on a pic and roll to guard the 4, and Posey's shooting.  Since there are not many backup playoff minutes available on this team, the better team on the Court is one that includes Posey instead of these proposed replacements who, while they may duplicate one of Posey's skills, do not have his total package.

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2008, 08:05:08 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
i actually for the most part agree with fatjohn here. i think people are getting caught up in a straight scal vs posey comparison which definitely ludicrous. but i do believe a committee of players including scal, jr giddens, a signed fa wing defender, and of course paul pierce could handle poseys assignments at the wing and forward spots. is scal by himself the versatile defender posey is absolutely not. but scal can handle himself fairly well against mobile 4s. depending on matchups off the bench you could see him, davis or powe. on the wing you have giddens, paul and whatever fa we bring in. do we lose something without posey? maybe. its possible. but nowhere near as much as i think people are making it out to be.

im not a big fan of bringing tony back for this but in principle i agree with the idea and i would bet dollars to donuts danny would too. besides with posey at the 4 we were often far too jumpshot happy on offense and his d at the 4 was not as good as it was on the wing anyway so that would be something id want to avoid regardless.

I wrote something similar in another thread but, in short, Posey brings more total to the table than the other replacements you are suggesting.  So if we have Scal in instead of Posey, we have a worse defense on the Court.  Assuming Giddens exceeds my expectations and turns out to be as strong a wing defender as Posey, then even when we have Giddens on the Court we lose Posey's ability to switch on a pic and roll to guard the 4, and Posey's shooting.  Since there are not many backup playoff minutes available on this team, the better team on the Court is one that includes Posey instead of these proposed replacements who, while they may duplicate one of Posey's skills, do not have his total package.

giddens has a 7ft wingspan and hes athletic so he might for a second or 2 while he switches back with his man. hes a strong kid. as for poseys shooting, scal is just as good a shooter as he is percentage-wise. that said isnt it time we stopped shooting so many 3s anyway? thats all posey took last year.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2008, 08:24:55 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

giddens has a 7ft wingspan and hes athletic so he might for a second or 2 while he switches back with his man. hes a strong kid. as for poseys shooting, scal is just as good a shooter as he is percentage-wise. that said isnt it time we stopped shooting so many 3s anyway? thats all posey took last year.

Yeah, we really need another player without range playing along Rondo. Then the opponents can cheat off even more, gamble the passing lanes even more, clog the lane even more and it'll be virtually impossible to slash so we'd settle for even more jump-shots, but heavily contested ones. And I'm pretty sure the PFs in the league won't take advantage of  being guarded by a 6'5'' SG and will gently give us the chance of undoing the mismatch.

What I don't understand is why hasn't Doc used the "committee" during the playoffs. He had Tony Allen, that is a good wing defender and Scal, who can defend PF and shoot the 3, so what's the point of keeping them in the doghouse and playing Posey?

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2008, 08:35:26 PM »

Offline BCelts

• Derrick White

I am not confident that either Giddens or Scal can single-handedly fill Posey's shoes.  If you think that either one of them can, that may be where we can agree to disagree.  My position is that the team is better with Posey than with either Giddens or Scal.  In fact, I really am not confident there is any situation where Giddens or Scal will funtion as an upgrade over a healthy Posey.  Of course, if you use BOTH Giddens and Scal to fill Posey's shoes at the same time, then you displace another player on the Court, and the analysis changes.   

Your best point in my opinion is the reliance on the three.  I agree we need to be careful with that becuse it is streaky.  However, this team was a lot different that the O'Brien three point shooting teams.  Those teams were haphazard.  This year's Celtics were effective in using post offense to create the open three.  In other words, they used the three to punish teams for doubling down low.  I do not mind those three point shots, especially from Posey.  In my watching, he is a dead-eye shooter from range when he sets his feet and is not challenged.  Otherwise, he is far less effective.  That is why he is more valuable to good teams - others create the open looks that enable him to be effective offensivly.

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2008, 08:40:24 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney

Yeah, we really need another player without range playing along Rondo. Then the opponents can cheat off even more, gamble the passing lanes even more, clog the lane even more and it'll be virtually impossible to slash so we'd settle for even more jump-shots, but heavily contested ones. And I'm pretty sure the PFs in the league won't take advantage of  being guarded by a 6'5'' SG and will gently give us the chance of undoing the mismatch.

What I don't understand is why hasn't Doc used the "committee" during the playoffs. He had Tony Allen, that is a good wing defender and Scal, who can defend PF and shoot the 3, so what's the point of keeping them in the doghouse and playing Posey?

not for nothin but giddens definitely has range on his jumpshot. comparing rondos jumpshot range and confidence in it to giddens' is downright laughable. and i dont understand you mean we dont need another player without range? hell all posey took was 3's last year. everytime we had an issue offensively last year it was because we were settling for too many 3s. one of the worst things was putting posey at the 4 for extended periods so we could shoot more of them. doc and danny want to get away from that this season.

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2008, 08:51:30 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney

I am not confident that either Giddens or Scal can single-handedly fill Posey's shoes.  If you think that either one of them can, that may be where we can agree to disagree.  My position is that the team is better with Posey than with either Giddens or Scal.  In fact, I really am not confident there is any situation where Giddens or Scal will funtion as an upgrade over a healthy Posey.  Of course, if you use BOTH Giddens and Scal to fill Posey's shoes at the same time, then you displace another player on the Court, and the analysis changes.   

Your best point in my opinion is the reliance on the three.  I agree we need to be careful with that becuse it is streaky.  However, this team was a lot different that the O'Brien three point shooting teams.  Those teams were haphazard.  This year's Celtics were effective in using post offense to create the open three.  In other words, they used the three to punish teams for doubling down low.  I do not mind those three point shots, especially from Posey.  In my watching, he is a dead-eye shooter from range when he sets his feet and is not challenged.  Otherwise, he is far less effective.  That is why he is more valuable to good teams - others create the open looks that enable him to be effective offensivly.

im not sure i understand. if were talking about 10mpg off the bench who are we displacing? powe? bbd? i know people say its justminutes but i really dont think posey is gonna get as many minutes as he did last year. if danny resigns him fine. but i dont believe we are at all sunk if he doesnt.

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2008, 09:01:32 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Cmon Giddens or Walker cannot defend the four. You really believe rookies can come in and understand and execute TT defensive schemes better than someone who has been here since day 1 of a championship year. My feeling is that Giddens or Walker would look alot like Gerald Green out there(totally lost)IF Posey leaves giving Scal 5-10 minutes a game for the first half of year will not be a problem and maybe give him some trade value.(zero right now)

I am on the sign Posey (nearly) at all costs side; however, if he does leave, it might not be the end of the world with Giddens.  While I wouldn't say Gerald Green would do well here, he would do much better than he did last time around.  Why?  Because, all he'd have to do offensively is spot up for threes on the weakside. 

The bust who might have actually taken Posey's place the best might've been Kedrick Brown.  He was a decent shooter and had excellent athleticism to play defense.  Giddens by most accounts is more polished than Brown, has great athleticism, can shoot fairly well, and plays some defense. 

By no means am I suggesting that we don't sign Posey; Giddens cannot provide the intangibles, the heady plays, and respect accorded to vets by officials.  However, if he walks, he may be a better option than some free agents. 

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2008, 12:23:06 AM »

Offline BCelts

• Derrick White

im not sure i understand. if were talking about 10mpg off the bench who are we displacing? powe? bbd? i know people say its justminutes but i really dont think posey is gonna get as many minutes as he did last year. if danny resigns him fine. but i dont believe we are at all sunk if he doesnt.

I agree that it is not the end of the world but, with the current free agents out there and our current team, Posey is the best option versus multiple other available players.

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2008, 01:59:53 AM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
veal is the reason posey can't be signed . Danny is not foolish to make another mistake.

posey is not a mistake but no team that is not contending would pay posey what he wanted

so in a way why should ainge?? we are the champs theoretically there should be a line up to play for us, but i guess money talks in the end

We have lost maggette, pietrius and posey could be next. I know giddens is very young and so is bill walker but there is a good outside chance they coudl both supplement the loss of posey at the forward/guard better than anyone believes

our two biggest needs actually i see at this time is to get a decent pf/center backup and pg than something to fill the loss of posey at the forward/guard.

My prediction in the end will be posey gone to some other team, we get a decent pf/c backup and pg vet and from there danny takes a chance with the giddens/walker combo.

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2008, 02:27:34 AM »

Offline Montrossity

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
veal is the reason posey can't be signed . Danny is not foolish to make another mistake.

posey is not a mistake but no team that is not contending would pay posey what he wanted

so in a way why should ainge?? we are the champs theoretically there should be a line up to play for us, but i guess money talks in the end

We have lost maggette, pietrius and posey could be next. I know giddens is very young and so is bill walker but there is a good outside chance they coudl both supplement the loss of posey at the forward/guard better than anyone believes

our two biggest needs actually i see at this time is to get a decent pf/center backup and pg than something to fill the loss of posey at the forward/guard.

My prediction in the end will be posey gone to some other team, we get a decent pf/c backup and pg vet and from there danny takes a chance with the giddens/walker combo.

Exactly how I see it being played out.  tp for writing it out for me so I didnt have to. 

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2008, 02:36:41 AM »

Offline Last Train

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
I loved what Posey did for the Celtics this year. He was clutch all year and he deserves a raise. Unfortunetly I dont think its wise to pay more that 3years at 4 million a year. With so much of our salary cap tied up in the big three sigining Posey to the kind of contract he wants (4 or 5 years and the full MLE) would not be good for the Celtics. We dont need contracts that are going to handicaped us salary wise especially while the big three are here. This year was great for Celtics and for Posey, we are just headed in different directions and we need to let him walk.

Lol I am gonna get hammered for this but I think Scalabrine can step up and fill some of the void if Posey leaves. He can guard the four, knock down the 3ptr, and did anyone else notice towards the end of the year it looked as though his conditioning was vastly improved. Going from sixth man to not even dressing for games can drive someone to improve. Lets hope this is the case with Scal.

Lastly the money Posey wants would be better spent resiging Eddie House, Tony Allen,Pj Browns replacement and leaving some flexibility for the future. Thanks for the great year James but If you feel that 3years 12 million is not in your best intrests you should go. Lets do whats best for the Celtics.

And just how could you tell this? Was his suit size shrinking? Was not breathing as hard after taping Celtics Now segments?