Author Topic: I Love Posey!! ------------- but  (Read 10184 times)

Re: I Love Posey!! ------------- but
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 09:56:26 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

No one is going to trade for Scal and we will be stuck either buying him out and having him being a very expensive bench warmer. Scal also shoots 3ptrs at almost the same pct as Posey Thanks.

Someone traded for Keith Van Horn this year and he hasn't played basketball in years....

On Scal's 3's I put up the numbers, there's a big difference in both volume and percentage...
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 10:08:09 AM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
Per 48 is ridiculous comparison method. So for 6 more ppg and 1.5 rpg and double the threes(per 48 lol). We should pay him 5.8 million for 4 years. No one can replace Posey he was great this year. We do have players on this roster that can step in and do the job. Powe and Scal and hopefully TA and House.(on the cheap). The offers Posey is going to get from other clubs is not worth the Celtics matching. The Celtics and Posey are going in different directions. The assertion that Scal is a garbage time player and useless to this club are crazy. Anyone can get better with drive and determination. "Anything is Possible"--KG    Lol but seriously Scal has been putting in the time to improve his conditioning look at his body towards the end of the year. So how do you ppl know he hasnt been putting the same effort into his game.

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 10:15:51 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
Per 48 is ridiculous comparison method. So for 6 more ppg and 1.5 rpg and double the threes(per 48 lol). We should pay him 5.8 million for 4 years.

actually the double the 3's stat is very telling, because you put the two on the same level playing field (per 48 minutes) and you literally get double the production out of Posey - plus the guy is a lockdown defender, whereas Scal is a serviceable team defender.

and from what I can tell, all the time on the bench has really depressed Scal, making him get even more out of shape:

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 10:21:05 AM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
Ha Ha great pic. I am gonna put that on my screensaver sweeeeeet!. Wonder if the wife will like it. I hear what your saying cdif911. I just dont agree that per 48 is a viable comparison method. Players improve with more playing time. Per 48 assumes that you always get the same production no matter how many mpg.

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 10:26:29 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
Ha Ha great pic. I am gonna put that on my screensaver sweeeeeet!. Wonder if the wife will like it. I hear what your saying cdif911. I just dont agree that per 48 is a viable comparison method. Players improve with more playing time. Per 48 assumes that you always get the same production no matter how many mpg.

I rarely use per 48, especially to overinflate a guy (look at Powe or Baby's per 48, they look like all-stars) but I think this is a time when it works, for the shooting volume - Scal just doesn't look for his shot as much, and its easy to see when you inflate it like that - we could do the stats as shots per minute and you'd get the same result

but here's something scary I just found:

Learn Basketball from Brian Scalabrine....

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 10:31:45 AM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
I went to the Chicago game 12/21 I think. The Bulls were getting blown out and Doc put Scal in with about 4 minutes left in the 4th. Me and my brother started chanting to get Scal the ball. The next thing the whole section was chanting. House brought the ball up gave it right to Scal and he nailed a shot. The whole place just exploded. I love the TD Garden.

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2008, 10:41:47 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Omg I can't believe what you said about Scal in the first post. I mean it's ok if you are his brother or related in some way, otherwise you haven't seen Celtics play for last 5 years. He has a huge contract, he has to lose about 30 pounds to even start being a possibility as a 3-4 mpg type a guy.
I've watched like every C's game since 2006 and Scal had 10 good or average games.
I bet Larry Bird would be better than Scal right now
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2008, 10:43:11 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
Omg I can't believe what you said about Scal in the first post. I mean it's ok if you are his brother or related in some way, otherwise you haven't seen Celtics play for last 5 years. He has a huge contract, he has to lose about 30 pounds to even start being a possibility as a 3-4 mpg type a guy.
I've watched like every C's game since 2006 and Scal had 10 good or average games.
I bet Larry Bird would be better than Scal right now

I will say, comparatively speaking, Scal's contract is peanuts by NBA standards, and will be useful for trading

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2008, 10:48:48 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I too, agree with Fatjohn for the most but Please, Scali is not the answer for replacing Posey if it comes to that. In fact, if Scali is his replacement then Celtics Fans everywhere should buy stock in Tums, because we are going need them in bulk. I get sick just thinking about it right now...it brings me back to the game I attended in Sacramento..Celtics looked great..and then I saw Scal up close and way too personal get on the exercise bike near the tunnel- Sweat dripping everywhere....He had not played for the past few games and I prayed he was just getting some exercise in. God, the scary image of Scali right near me was enough to haunt my dreams later that night.

I think Scal works best for our team when he is in his suit on the sidelines. That is how I want him to stay.

Cdif911.that is a sick picture- TP for that one..that looked about like the person I saw get on the bike!

Fatjohn..TP for you as well...for making my breakfast come close to coming back up this morning!

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2008, 03:08:09 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Scalabrine's value to this team will be realized... when we trade his expiring contract.  Period.  End of discussion.
If Posey leaves, I'd rather see if Giddens or Walker can replace some of those minutes, rather than force Scalabrine into the game.
Scalabrine is a garbage minutes player right now, he just doesn't have the talent or athleticism that you want to see out there.
At least, not on a championship quality team.  Maybe the Clippers could use him... :P

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2008, 03:42:29 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
Cmon Giddens or Walker cannot defend the four. You really believe rookies can come in and understand and execute TT defensive schemes better than someone who has been here since day 1 of a championship year. My feeling is that Giddens or Walker would look alot like Gerald Green out there(totally lost)IF Posey leaves giving Scal 5-10 minutes a game for the first half of year will not be a problem and maybe give him some trade value.(zero right now)

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2008, 03:58:43 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
scal is a good defender for pf. but not sf.. imagine putting scal on lbj..

ta would be for sgs and small sfs. so if posey is gone and theres no replacement, walker or giddens should be ready to help pp

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2008, 04:03:24 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
i actually for the most part agree with fatjohn here. i think people are getting caught up in a straight scal vs posey comparison which definitely ludicrous. but i do believe a committee of players including scal, jr giddens, a signed fa wing defender, and of course paul pierce could handle poseys assignments at the wing and forward spots. is scal by himself the versatile defender posey is absolutely not. but scal can handle himself fairly well against mobile 4s. depending on matchups off the bench you could see him, davis or powe. on the wing you have giddens, paul and whatever fa we bring in. do we lose something without posey? maybe. its possible. but nowhere near as much as i think people are making it out to be.

im not a big fan of bringing tony back for this but in principle i agree with the idea and i would bet dollars to donuts danny would too. besides with posey at the 4 we were often far too jumpshot happy on offense and his d at the 4 was not as good as it was on the wing anyway so that would be something id want to avoid regardless.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2008, 04:17:33 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Rumor has it that we have offered Posey 3 years/$4M per.  This is a pretty solid offer which he still might take.  At this number, we can use the Non-Bird exemption and still keep the MLE open for a pre-season or mid-season signing or two.  I know many have presumed that New Oleans or the Lakers will offer 4 years at the full MLE but I am not so sure that this a given.  If another team wants to overpay for Posey, that's fine, but we don't need to match.  We all like Posey but his production and contribution can be made up for by another player or combination of players and we will still contend for a title.

The combination of players that will be asked to fill in for Posey if necessary could well include Scal.  Not all by himself of course but he can match up against bigger guys and maybe Giddens against smaller players.  Scal was really off last season over the prior couple before that.  I am not sure what happened but I think he can put up a better season than last season.  He is not going to match what Posey did last season but he can contribute.

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2008, 07:43:19 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
We dont need contracts that are going to handicaped us salary wise especially while the big three are here.

But the Big Three being here automatically means we're financially handicapped as they consume the entire salary cap by themselves.  Thus, as long as they're here, we will never be below the cap. 

Thus, the term "financially" handicapped all depends how Wyc feels about paying the luxury tax.  If Wyc is convinced that he can make money (or at least break even) on paying the luxury tax because of the deep playoff run and funds generated by success, then keeping Posey around at any price--so long as his contract is done when the Big Three are done--does not hurt the Celtics at all. 

The only way re-signing Posey potentially hurts the C's is if it's a) a long contract beyond the time that Ainge plans on keeping around the Big Three (keep in mind, that isn't necessarily the end of their contracts, he could extend any of them) or b) if Wyc's pocket is not infinitely deep. 

But as far as rounding out the rest of this roster, guys like Eddie House and Tony Allen are minimum guys or can be replaced by minimum guys.  Similarly, someone like the Birdman will probably come here at the LLE.  Remember, Boston is now a destination to play, this isn't 2006 anymore. 

As far as the Scalabrine idea, that's just crazy.  The guy couldn't even crack the active roster in the playoffs; there is no way he's going to take Posey's place.  He can't guard 2/3s well and he doesn't hit the three nearly well enough to be an effective weak side shooter that the C's need on the court to get spacing so defenses can't cheat off the Big Three. 

TP, Jon.

Ah, it's gonna be a long summer, isn't it?
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."