Author Topic: Leapfrog: Where does Philly rank?  (Read 9889 times)

Re: Leapfrog: Where does Philly rank?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 09:35:11 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
What's with all these picks of the Heat making the playoffs next year?  Didn't Riley come out and say that Marcus Banks and Mark Blount would be their starting PG and C?  Does that sound like a team looking to bust out?  Beasley is a good player, but he's coming off his freshman year of college.  I don't see them making a huge leap forward, and I don't see 37 wins getting into the playoffs like last year.

I'm picking Miami as the frontrunner for that 8th seed because I think all the squads behind them are weak and vulnerable.

I'm a big admirer of Mario Chalmers and think he'll be a solid point guard next to Wade. Riley said recently the starting job is Banks' to lose but I reckon he'll lose it before training camp ends unless he suddenly becomes a player which is win-win.

Beasley I expect very good things from. He'll be the second option with Marion closely behind with Wade leading the way, he'll have good opportunities but won't be the leading target of every opposing defense. I think he'll make a big impact as a rookie, similar to Durant last season, which brings Miami up the standings.

Their top three players are definitely good enough to make the playoffs and definitely superior to any of the other possibilities for the 8th seed. Add the right role players (Chalmers is a good start) and you have a good team.

Good health and having some depth will make the world of difference to Miami.

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 09:51:24 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Fifth - I have Detroit

Detroit fifth???  Atlanta out of the playoffs??? But Philly second, that's just bold man, I couldn't go on a limb like that - I'd go to Vegas right now if I were you if you're convicted about this, because you could make some serious bank.. Detroit should be second or third at worst as of right now - they have the experience plus youngsters who can contribute. They have one of the best game controlling pg's in the league, who if healthy may have ended our season early.  They've got Rip, Prince and Rodney at the swingspots, there's no letting up there - Maxiell is a beast off the bench for their bigs, Wallace is still a top 25 player and McDyess is solid but not great.  Amir Johnson will be given opportunities to step in too - I really really think you're underestimating Detroit

Okay let me redefine the line of thought

I said at the top they were my power rankings for the East rather than standings predictions. I think Detroit will finish most likely 2nd in the standings. But I don't rate them as a serious threat to win the East and I believe the three teams above them in my rankings all are more capable of winning the East. I think Detroit are far more vulnerable than their regular season record will show, like last year although more so again this coming year, and that they aren't as a big of a threat to win the East as the three teams I put ahead of them.

Detroit are a regular season team like a Dallas Mavericks the past few years. They can hide their flaws in this setting. But put them in a tough playoff series against top caliber teams and they'll fold. Detroit have too many holes and lack too much top talent, especially with their starting big men. Their lack of scoring is a huge issue and it's doomed them for three straight seasons now.

I'd place Phily and Cleveland clearly ahead of Detroit but I'd add Detroit-Orlando is a toss up. The main reason I went with Orlando ahead of Detroit is because I think Orlando have a better chance of knocking off either Boston, Phily or Cleveland than Detroit do.

In a head-to-head matchup between Detroit-Orlando it would be very close and I'm not sure who I'd favour, I go back and forth on it, but I'm very concerned about the Magic's awful backcourt versus the Pistons vaunted backcourt. Battie's return and some hopeful upgrades to Orlando's backcourt/bench could be enough for them to gain the upper hand. I don't know.

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 09:58:49 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I would rank Philly 4th after Cleveland and Orlando.  Detroit is 5th; that team's time has come and gone, although they are still a 45-50 win team.

I really like what Philly has done, assuming the get Brand, who will make them much tougher in their half court offense. In addition to the starters, Thaddeus Young, Jason Smith and Reggie Evans are all very useful bench players. To take the next step they need to shore up their backcourt.

Evans is the only guy of that bunch that I really like - and who is Philly's swingman opposite Ike?  Looks like Willie Green, Thad Young or Louis Williams...none of whom are legit NBA starters
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 10:02:03 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I would rank Philly 4th after Cleveland and Orlando.  Detroit is 5th; that team's time has come and gone, although they are still a 45-50 win team.

I really like what Philly has done, assuming the get Brand, who will make them much tougher in their half court offense. In addition to the starters, Thaddeus Young, Jason Smith and Reggie Evans are all very useful bench players. To take the next step they need to shore up their backcourt.

Evans is the only guy of that bunch that I really like - and who is Philly's swingman opposite Ike?  Looks like Willie Green, Thad Young or Louis Williams...none of whom are legit NBA starters

IMHO Thaddeus young is ready to start.  Also, Tony Allen would be an excellent fit for them BTW.

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 10:02:50 AM »

Offline houlana

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 21
my east power rankings.

1. boston.
2. detroit.
3. philly.
4. cavs.
5. orlando.
6. toronto.
7. wiz.
8. miami/ atlanta (if they resign smith)
9. bulls ( depends on the rest of their offseason)

i agree, the east is gona be catching up to the west.
the clippers and wariors both had a bad offseason.
spurs are aging but always in the mix. Mavs are a mess.
three teams that look good in years to come for the west are: Lakers, hornets, and trailblaizers.

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 10:05:05 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

IMHO Thaddeus young is ready to start.  Also, Tony Allen would be an excellent fit for them BTW.

I think Tony Allen could start for the 6ers and that shows how much depth they lack....

I've said it before and will say it again, TA could start for a bad team and easily put up 20 ppg... (not to say he'd do that in Philly, I'd envision 10-12 ppg)
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2008, 10:07:10 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
Tony's job in Philly would be to defend, and take the pressure off Iguodala to cover the other team's best player night after night.

And Tony can get to the basket against anyone, which means fewer double teams on Iguodala.

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2008, 10:17:46 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Louis Williams is a very good backup point guard. He puts up a point every two minutes, 11.5ppg in 23mpg. Solid defensively. Improving playmaker. Pushes the tempo well and gets the team into their halfcourt offense. Andre Miller's added size/bulk at the point allows Phily to run both guards in the backcourt at the same time which makes it easier for him to be the sole backup guard on the team come playoff time. Willie Green is a solid end of the rotation player as a 9th or 10th man to round out the backcourt.

Their backup big men are very impressive with Reggie Evans, Jason Smith and Marresse Speights. That gives them 5 legit bigs.

They lack a backup wing though. No cap space to add that now either. Needs to be a minimum contract guy but there's a few decent players possibly/likely available at that price so that's a solvable situation. The wing is the one position where cheap additions are easy to find. The player they get will be a short term band aid likely replaced next offseason or possibly in season.

Here's a short list of unrestricted backup wings - Walter Herrmann, Mo Evans, Devean George, Brent Barry, Tony Allen, Quinton Ross, Michael Finley, Jarvis Hayes, Ira Newble, Matt Barnes, Kirk Snyder, Gelabale. They can make something work out of that group. Mo Evans is the dream target but I hope he makes more money than the minimum, if he doesn't he's a coup for Phily. I'd lean towards George for defense, experience and outside shooting. Brent Barry could be very nice offensively but not a great defensive fit for their pressure D. Could be a good home for Snyder.

Thaddeus Young should absolutely start. Himself and Iggy on the wings would be a nightmarish combination defensively. Both are big, long, strong, quick and very good defensively. They're both good man-to-man defenders, good full court defenders and good help defenders. They'd be able to create a lot of havoc on that end of the floor.

I wouldn't sign Tony Allen to start because of Thaddeus but he could be a good backup for the Sixers. A bit to similar to Willie Green and what Green provides but Tony is clearly far more talented than Green so I can get over that. I'd look elsewhere before Tony but Tony would be good for them (Tony would be excellent for Toronto, I'd love to see him land there).

Edit - Kareem Rush would be an excellent addition for Phily but he's unrestricted. Indy are loaded on the wings so maybe he scrapes free, if he does I don't see him making more than the minimum until next season.

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2008, 10:23:50 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
With The acquisition of Elton Brand, the 76ers are now a top 5 team in the east.

1. Boston
2. Detroit
3. Orlando
4. Philly
5. Cleveland
6. Toronto
7. Washington
8. Miami/Chicago

i'm going to make this guess:

1. Cleveland
2. Detroit
3. Boston
4. Philly
5. Washington
6. Orlando
7. Toronto
8. Miami

cleveland will get a vet pg and lebron will have a spectacular season as far as stats go. the mj comparisons will continue.

i feel that detroit will make a blockbuster trade that well propel them to the 2nd seed.

the celtics won't need to win 66 games this year. they will be a more unified team but lose more often.

philly will learn how to play with brand quickly and come out of the gates fast. they'll be the sleepers like orlando was this year.

washington will be the sharp shooters they always were. is gilbert comes back healthy, watch out.

orlando which was overachieving this year will fall to where they belong.

toronto will play sub par with the bosh/o'neal combo. o'neal will not bang down low and neither will bosh so therefore they have a soft front line.

miami will make the playoffs if d-wade comes back healthy.  a marion, wade, beasley combo doesn't look too bad for an 8th seeded team.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2008, 10:34:43 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
With The acquisition of Elton Brand, the 76ers are now a top 5 team in the east.

1. Boston
2. Detroit
3. Orlando
4. Philly
5. Cleveland
6. Toronto
7. Washington
8. Miami/Chicago

i'm going to make this guess:

1. Cleveland
2. Detroit
3. Boston
4. Philly
5. Washington
6. Orlando
7. Toronto
8. Miami

cleveland will get a vet pg and lebron will have a spectacular season as far as stats go. the mj comparisons will continue.

i feel that detroit will make a blockbuster trade that well propel them to the 2nd seed.

the celtics won't need to win 66 games this year. they will be a more unified team but lose more often.

philly will learn how to play with brand quickly and come out of the gates fast. they'll be the sleepers like orlando was this year.

washington will be the sharp shooters they always were. is gilbert comes back healthy, watch out.

orlando which was overachieving this year will fall to where they belong.

toronto will play sub par with the bosh/o'neal combo. o'neal will not bang down low and neither will bosh so therefore they have a soft front line.

miami will make the playoffs if d-wade comes back healthy.  a marion, wade, beasley combo doesn't look too bad for an 8th seeded team.

No way Boston does not have a top 2 record in the East.

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2008, 11:02:15 AM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
I think folks are sleeping on Orlando.

Nelson / Dooling
Hedo / Lee
Lewis / Pietrus
Battie / Cook
Howard / Gortat

In adding Courtney Lee and Mickael Pietrus they've shored up their  2nd biggest need, backups at the swing position...

It still boggles my mind that they didn't go harder after Udonis Haslem last trade deadline, as a PF to play alongside DHoward is their biggest need.

I'm not as down/skeptical as Jameer Nelson as most... he plays a solid game and while he may be overpaid, he doesn't hurt their team as much as is talked about... i think that's more a holdover from the doubts about him coming out of college.  If they resign Keyon Dooling they'll have a fine combo.

I'd guess something like:

1. Boston
2. Cleveland
3. Orlando
4. Detroit
5. Philly
6. Toronto
7. Washington
8. Indiana -- i think ATL looses some pieces of their core and Obie gets the Pacers to overacheive in the post-JO era
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2008, 11:05:41 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
I'm not impressed with Orlando's bench, or with Dwight Howard's inconsistency on offense.

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2008, 11:37:41 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I think folks are sleeping on Orlando.

Nelson / Dooling
Hedo / Lee
Lewis / Pietrus
Battie / Cook
Howard / Gortat

In adding Courtney Lee and Mickael Pietrus they've shored up their  2nd biggest need, backups at the swing position...

It still boggles my mind that they didn't go harder after Udonis Haslem last trade deadline, as a PF to play alongside DHoward is their biggest need.

I'm not as down/skeptical as Jameer Nelson as most... he plays a solid game and while he may be overpaid, he doesn't hurt their team as much as is talked about... i think that's more a holdover from the doubts about him coming out of college.  If they resign Keyon Dooling they'll have a fine combo.

I'd guess something like:

1. Boston
2. Cleveland
3. Orlando
4. Detroit
5. Philly
6. Toronto
7. Washington
8. Indiana -- i think ATL looses some pieces of their core and Obie gets the Pacers to overacheive in the post-JO era

I thought they weren't expected to re-sign Dooling after signing Pietrus. Nelson's a poor pg, and I don't expect very much from Battie.

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2008, 11:50:48 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
The two big variables are Dwight Howard and LeBron. Both guys are still very young and might (or might not) take the leap into that next level where they go from top 5 player to overpowering superstar who guarantees their team a chance at a title.

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2008, 11:54:13 AM »

Offline toinewalka

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
I see Philly getting a little bit better.  They are a young team and a veteran that can score inside will help slow things down and the offense will be more effective.  This still doesn't even put them close to the top teams in the East (Boston, Detroit, Orlando), but I think they will compete well with the young and upcoming teams like Miami, Atlanta, and Indiana.  I will give them the edge if Brand plays like his former self.