Author Topic: Salary Cap Situation and FAQs: 2008 Edition  (Read 17820 times)

Re: Salary Cap Situation and FAQs: 2008 Edition
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2009, 05:56:16 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Don't get me wrong, I'm not concerned with this right now, but just out of curiosity, will the Celtics have the cap space to make a run at Durant in a few years?

It's too early to say, but if they want to target the summer Durants becomes a free agent to spend big, they'll be able to.

One thing I'm curious about is that by that time, there will be a new CBA (or renewal of the old one), and word is there could be some holdout/work stoppage before then.

But yes, assuming no major changes, if Durant does not sign an extension in '11, he would then be a restricted free agent. If he signed an offer sheet with any team, OKC would obviously match and he'd have to stay there. If he didn't sign any offers he would have to play one more season for OKC, then would be an unrestricted free agent in '12. In that offseason, the celtics have only Giddens' qualifying offer on the books and no guaranteed deals.

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Question -- which i'm to busy/lazy to look up -- about signing Moore.

If we offered Moore a 2-year deal at say $2M/yr (which we have left under the MLE this season), he gets the prorated amount this year then $2M next year.

I wonder if that might be a good way to get Moore cheaply next season -- to sign him now for 2 yrs.

It puts us in a better position too when negotiating with Powe + BBD this summer (ie. already having 1 big tied up for next year).

It also increases the amount of non-Ray Allen expiring contracts to deal at the deadline to $10.8M (assuming a $2M 2nd year for Moore).
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2009, 02:24:18 PM »

Offline khaddad

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 1
Thanks.

The article I referenced was actually a separate website, and it specifically reviewed and discussed the Celtics particular circumstances.

Anything else out there guys?

Thanks.