Author Topic: No Worries From Ainge (Herald Article)  (Read 46614 times)

Re: No Worries From Ainge (Herald Article)
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 09:16:19 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
How's this for predicted signings (not saying they are great, just a feeling):

Darius Miles, Shaun Livingston, and Randolph Morris.

MIles I like just to screw with Portland, Livingston I like for how much potential he still has and Morris I don't know anything about.

Seriously, signing Miles and playing some scrap minutes in a few games would just be great. I don't know why I'd get so much joy of seeing Portland have to pay Miles, but I totally would.

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 09:19:45 AM »

Offline cordialb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
I wonder if we had waited to sign KG to his extention, if he would of taken less so that we could keep Posey. I didn't understand the need to extend KG when we did. At that time he wasn't invested in the team yet. Now he'd be more likely to help out.

I think the idea was to extend Garnett so that he was not on the free agent market this year able to go somewhere else.  Garnett took less than he could have and, in one man's opinion, he and Pierce provide the most value for their dollars on the roster.

I dunno, i think we found rondo in a blue light special rookie contract.  His value for his salary, i grimace at the thought of what we will be resigning him to.

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 09:24:00 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
What I want to know is where are the moles in the Celtics organization. They have been quite secretive, and Boston columnists and reporters have had no relevant new information in quite a few days.

It would be nice if there was someone giving some sort of update every 3 hours or so, even if it's just to say "nothing new to report".

We need more spies.

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 09:29:03 AM »

Offline sk7326

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 24

I'm sure he means that the other bench players are easier to replace than Posey.  Posey is not a one dimensional player like House or Tony for defense.  He does a little of everything which probably won't be replaced by just one other player.

Funny how people describe Posey a just a 7 pt a game bench player, when he is much more than that.  YOu cannot determine Posey's worth by looking at the stat sheet.  Gawd, you'd swear that some people never watched a Celtic game last year. ::)
[/quote]

Ainge understands I think -- that the argument with Posey is over YEARS and not money is instructive.  Ainge drawing a line in the sand at 3 years is completely reasonable, and if Posey walks away over not having a 4th or 5th guaranteed year, I cannot blame the Celtics at all.  He is a crucial cog for this team, especially defensively, but just like I do not blame him for seeking his true value, the Celtics are completely justified in not wanting to have an albatross contract on their hands, and a 5 year deal with Posey would most likely be an albatross.

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 09:42:31 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I don't think we can make too much of what Danny says; obviously he's not going to show his hand to the entire media.  He may just be talking a tough game as part of the negotiations. 

I know he wants to pretend that he's Scott Pioli or Theo Epstein, but Danny also has to understand the situation the Celtics are in.  I'll admit that I was pretty upset when guys like Ty Law and Johnny Damon left, but the Pats and Sox had two luxuries that Danny doesn't have: time and money.  In both teams' cases, they still had a fairly young core: the likes of Tom Brady and David Ortiz had many years left when those decisions were made.  Furthermore, when Lawyer Milloy left, the Pats got Rodney Harrison to replace him.  Similarly, when Damon left, they nabbed an OK replacement in Crisp, and traded for Beckett and Lowell. 

That isn't happening here.  With Pietrus and Maggette gone, this list of replacements is drying up.  Furthermore, with the age of the Big Three, Ainge can't afford to say, "we'll get 'em next year" and call next year a quasi-rebuilding year.  And I know people like to say that Posey is just a role player, but we had some awfully close calls last year in the playoffs.  A couple plays that went the other way could've meant a second (or even a first) round exit for the C's.  And that's not something exclusive to this team.  There were quite a few times in Russell's many titles that they eked out 2 point wins in 7 game series. 

Overall, I think Danny needs to get this done somehow.  I don't really want Posey more than 3 years; however, if it keeps him around and we get another couple titles, I'll take a couple dead years at the end.  If anything, we've learned large expiring contracts have value in this league. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 09:53:37 AM by Jon »

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 09:44:03 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Ainge drawing a line in the sand at 3 years is completely reasonable, and if Posey walks away over not having a 4th or 5th guaranteed year, I cannot blame the Celtics at all.  He is a crucial cog for this team, especially defensively, but just like I do not blame him for seeking his true value, the Celtics are completely justified in not wanting to have an albatross contract on their hands, and a 5 year deal with Posey would most likely be an albatross.

I agree completely.  It would be great to have Posey back, but only if the price is right.  I don't want the Cs to be paying a 36 year old James Posey $8M to sit on the bench in 2012.....  There are other players still available who, while not replacing what Posey does, could be had cheaper: M. Barnes, M. Evans, B. Wells, D. Brown, E. Najera....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2008, 09:44:29 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
It still sounds to me as though a trade is brewing.

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2008, 09:48:43 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
How's this for predicted signings (not saying they are great, just a feeling):

Darius Miles, Shaun Livingston, and Randolph Morris.

MIles I like just to screw with Portland, Livingston I like for how much potential he still has and Morris I don't know anything about.

Seriously, signing Miles and playing some scrap minutes in a few games would just be great. I don't know why I'd get so much joy of seeing Portland have to pay Miles, but I totally would.

Interesting thought.
I guess if the Cs sign Posey, I wouldn't mind if they signed Miles to a minimum contract.  It would be interesting to see if he could produce/grow up if in the right system (ie: surrounded by serious vets like KG, PP, RA, BGJ....).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2008, 09:51:10 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Ainge drawing a line in the sand at 3 years is completely reasonable, and if Posey walks away over not having a 4th or 5th guaranteed year, I cannot blame the Celtics at all.  He is a crucial cog for this team, especially defensively, but just like I do not blame him for seeking his true value, the Celtics are completely justified in not wanting to have an albatross contract on their hands, and a 5 year deal with Posey would most likely be an albatross.

I agree completely.  It would be great to have Posey back, but only if the price is right.  I don't want the Cs to be paying a 36 year old James Posey $8M to sit on the bench in 2012.....  There are other players still available who, while not replacing what Posey does, could be had cheaper: M. Barnes, M. Evans, B. Wells, D. Brown, E. Najera....

People are making too much of a 4 or 5 year deal.  Why do people think Posey can't be productive at 35 or 36?  Have you ever heard of Bruce Bowen, Kurt Thomas, PJ Brown, Sam Cassell, Robert Horry.... and I can go on!  Posey is not relied upon to play 30+ mpg and score 20+ ppg. He can still be productive at 35 or 36 years of age.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2008, 09:54:41 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas

Involving who?  Scal and Big Baby?  I'm sure teams are lining up at the door for those two. 

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2008, 10:00:55 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 572

I agree completely.  It would be great to have Posey back, but only if the price is right.  I don't want the Cs to be paying a 36 year old James Posey $8M to sit on the bench in 2012.....  There are other players still available who, while not replacing what Posey does, could be had cheaper: M. Barnes, M. Evans, B. Wells, D. Brown, E. Najera....

People are making too much of a 4 or 5 year deal.  Why do people think Posey can't be productive at 35 or 36?  Have you ever heard of Bruce Bowen, Kurt Thomas, PJ Brown, Sam Cassell, Robert Horry.... and I can go on!  Posey is not relied upon to play 30+ mpg and score 20+ ppg. He can still be productive at 35 or 36 years of age.

If I'm not mistaken guys like Cassell and PJ signed for the Vet. Minimum. I don't think you would want to be paying them 8 mill a year for what they brought to the team. Personally i think 3 years is reasonable and I hope he does also.

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2008, 10:03:52 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423

Involving who?  Scal and Big Baby?  I'm sure teams are lining up at the door for those two. 

IMHO it involves one of them, plus Giddens.  And I think both Powe and BBD have value around the league.

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2008, 10:04:07 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
Prediction-  If they don't lock up Posey today, he's not coming back.

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2008, 10:06:16 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

If I'm not mistaken guys like Cassell and PJ signed for the Vet. Minimum. I don't think you would want to be paying them 8 mill a year for what they brought to the team. Personally i think 3 years is reasonable and I hope he does also.

I'm not saying he's going to have as little impact as those two because he has a bigger role (like some of the others I mentioned which you failed to here).  I'm just pointing out that just because Posey is 35 or 36, that doesn't mean he can't be productive.  Besides, like I said so many times, if Posey helps the Celtics to another title or two, the last year of his contract should it not be a productive one, is worth another title.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2008, 10:08:07 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas

IMHO it involves one of them, plus Giddens.  And I think both Powe and BBD have value around the league.

Maybe (though I'm not sold on that).  Plus, we'd still be very limited on what we could take back, as a package of Powe or BBD plus Giddens would only be worth about 2 million dollars in salary.  So whoever would be coming here, couldn't make too much money.  And I'm thinking opposing teams aren't going to be giving away talented players making 2 million a year for BBD and Giddens.