Author Topic: xbox 360 questions  (Read 13149 times)

Re: xbox 360 questions
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 10:10:58 PM »

Offline wil

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 88

If it is the RROD (3 red lights) and you purchased the 360 in the last 3 years you can get a replacement for free. Just call the customer service number and they'll tell you everything.
[/quote]

That's the best news i've heard all day.  It's definitely 3 red lights and I have not had it 3 years...

Thanks for the link, Andy.....I'm going now!

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 10:12:21 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Also, on the RROD, the newer systems have been modified to minimize this.  There shouldn't be as big a problem with this in the new "Falcon" models, which have a 175w power supply.  Those have become standard for anything manufactured after October 2007, I believe.

For those with an older model, some of the suggestions I've heard are keeping your power supply off the floor, buying a cooling unit, etc.  I have no idea, though, because I was lucky enough to pick up a Falcon model at a decent price.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 10:15:15 PM »

Offline aliendave

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 15
Great. Keep in mind that you aren't going to get your original Xbox back so make sure you remove your hard drive before you send it in. You should get your replacement in about a week or so.

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 10:18:33 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
Great. Keep in mind that you aren't going to get your original Xbox back so make sure you remove your hard drive before you send it in. You should get your replacement in about a week or so.

what about the power cord?  it doesn't mention that like it does everything else...just curious.

and thanks for the helpful information.  my shipping box will be here tomorrow, so i should have it back to them on the same day as there's a UPS store a mile from our house...

i was a little miffed as it died just in time for ncaa football 09 and also civilization revolution... :(
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 10:18:56 PM »

Offline aliendave

• The Green Kornet
For those with an older model, some of the suggestions I've heard are keeping your power supply off the floor, buying a cooling unit, etc.

OK, do NOT buy a cooling unit. Especially not the one from Nyko. I've seen reports of Microsoft partially blaming those things for the problem, voiding your warranty, and making you pay for a replacement. Just make sure you keep the thing well ventilated on all sides.

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 10:19:52 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
any word on having them vertical or horizontal playing a part?

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 10:20:08 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
dark lord - don't feel stupid about this.  there are many people on various levels who know about these things and i've learned a lot just by reading various message boards and asking questions.  i like the 360, but as i get older my joy of video gaming is starting to slowly erode...it's just getting too costly and i don't have the time like i once did as i work full-time and my wife and i are raising 4 children under the age of 10.  i like to read a lot (and i spend to much time here - LOL) and it tires me out...

thanks andy.  i am pretty much in the same place as u.  the last system i had was the original xbox. i gave that to my nephew about 4 yrs ago bc i am getting older and my enjoyment of video games has slowly declined, due to being older and occupied with other things, not having time (im a father too), and sadly bc the games get more and more complicated, lol. things have changed so much since my old xbox that i feel kind of lost.  the only "console" i have kept if my psp.

but i scored this 360 for free. my cousin is giving it to me bc he got a ps3.  so i am getting free of charge and wanted to get a few games and use it when i can.

all this info by all u guys is extremely helpful! thx

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2008, 10:20:36 PM »

Offline aliendave

• The Green Kornet

what about the power cord?  it doesn't mention that like it does everything else...just curious.

and thanks for the helpful information.  my shipping box will be here tomorrow, so i should have it back to them on the same day as there's a UPS store a mile from our house...

i was a little miffed as it died just in time for ncaa football 09 and also civilization revolution... :(

I'm pretty sure you don't include any cables or cords or anything other than the system. Oh, and make sure you check the disc drive before you pack it up. My brother almost shipped off his copy of Halo 3!

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 10:21:16 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Dark Lord, your getting ready for "The Force Unleashed", aren't you. ;)

If you have an HD tv, make sure you get one with an HDMI port. The original XBOX 360 only had component and VGA. HDMI will give you the best picture. If you go this route, Monoprice has the cheapest cables around (very good quality).

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10240
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2008, 10:22:16 PM »

Offline aliendave

• The Green Kornet
any word on having them vertical or horizontal playing a part?

I've seen reports that having it set up vertical blocks a vent so I would stick to leaving it horizontal.

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2008, 10:22:54 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
well as far as games are concerned, for a person 16-25 age range i suppose or something like that gears of war 2 is coming out soon as well as nba 2k9; both great pickups. halo 3 was over hyped. i heard call of duty 4 was amazin but i'm not much of a war game fan. xbox live is 50 bucks a year but you get a free trial for every new account made for about a month so if you just want to play online and don;t care about saving your points earned, then just create a new account every month haha.

my 360 actually just broke though. the dvd drive ceases to work but no red light has come on. ...microsoft support says it'll take 99 dollars to fix it because its out of warranty... anyone here got any better solutions?

Become Legendary.

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2008, 10:25:49 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen

can't wait for this game!!!

my son and i play lego star wars all the time - absolute blast.  also enjoy the battlefront games as well.

also, dark lord: i still have my original xbox...mostly for nfl 2k5 (i'm done with madden - game sucks - paying for new rosters, which are totally outdated by opening day anyway) and mvp 05 (the one with manny on the cover).  if you go to mvpmods.com they have updated rosters for all 3 minor league levels plus the major league rosters as well for the xbox, ps2, ps3 and pc.  great site for any baseball fan...

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2008, 10:27:04 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

If you have an HD tv

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!  when i heard i was getting it free, the first thing that popped in my head was, "i can get the force unleashed on sept. 16th!"  <sad, i know, lol>

unfortunately, the dark_lord lives in low-def, lol.

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2008, 10:27:25 PM »

Offline aliendave

• The Green Kornet
my 360 actually just broke though. the dvd drive ceases to work but no red light has come on. ...microsoft support says it'll take 99 dollars to fix it because its out of warranty... anyone here got any better solutions?

I think I've read somewhere that that's a fairly easy thing to replace if you have some electronics experience... but you're probably better off just paying the 99 bucks...

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2008, 10:28:59 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

my son and i play lego star wars all the time - absolute blast.  also enjoy the battlefront games as well.

i agree whole-heartedly. i love all of those games (obviously i am biased tho, lol)