Author Topic: xbox 360 questions  (Read 13144 times)

xbox 360 questions
« on: July 08, 2008, 09:14:31 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i have a quick question for those with an xbox 360.  im getting one from a family member who was getting rid of it bc he got a ps3.  i need to get a harddrive for it.  which one is best and what are the differences between the few i have seen?

also, how much does xbox live cost a month/year.

thanks!

Re: xbox 360 questions
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 09:23:41 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I think the only difference is the size of storage, dark_lord, but I'm not positive.  I know that at the very least, there is the 20GB model and the 120GB model.  There are also memory cards you can buy, if you don't want to invest in a harddrive at all.

They're handy for things like downloadable games, maps, demos, patches, videos, music, etc., etc.  I have a 120GB model, and that's the one I'd recommend.  You'd be surprised how quickly 20GB gets sucked up, although if you have no interest in any of other features, and plan on only using it for saved games, you can get by with 20GB without a problem, I'd say.

Xbox live gold is officially $7.99 per month, or $49.99 per year.  If you shop around on the internet, though, you can find it for less than that.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 09:34:14 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
thanks hobbsy!

if any1 can recommend good games for online play, id appreciate it.  i have plaid several games at other people's house, but never played any of them online.

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 09:41:32 PM »

Offline aliendave

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 15
You'll have to bit the bullet and get the 120 gig hard drive (the 20 gig probably isn't going to cut it if they start rolling out more and more stuff for download), even though it's ridiculous how much the thing costs. Inside the proprietary case is just a regular old 120 gig 2.5 inch laptop hard drive... retail price maybe 70 bucks... so you're paying 100 bucks for the magic case. On the PS3 you can just use any laptop drive by the way, so for the same 170 bucks you could throw a 320 gig drive in there. OK. Geek rant over.

Call of Duty 4 is the best game to play online for now.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 09:50:50 PM by aliendave »

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 09:54:25 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I've got the 20 gig and still have 9 left. Thats with the Oblivion Expansions, soul caliber from xbox live, and fable from xbox live, along with all my save games (around 20 games worth so like 100 saves).

Assassin's creed stinks don't buy it.

indeedproceed83...I play COD4 all the time.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 09:55:49 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
i have a 360 that just died (RROD)...but it lasted pretty long before crapping out on me, so i can't complain i suppose.

i have the smaller harddrive (20 gb).  it suits me fine and i'm nowhere near using up the space.

i don't know much about the "elite" 360s, so you might check out some other sites for information...but i hear that even those are dying and must be returned to MS as well.

regarding live, i paid for a whole year (somewhere around $50)...but well worth the money as there is downloadable content and game demos.  plus, i purchased some microsoft points that i've used to purchase a few things (frogger, for one - love that game).

as far as fun games to play online, it just has to suit your tastes...depends if you like first person shooters, RPG's, sports...i love to play hockey (NHL 08) online.  i have call of duty 4 (as mentioned above)...there are flying games, racing games...i like the tom clancy games (rainbow 6 series).  the lego games are a TON of fun (star wars, indiana jones, and soon to be released batman).

also, if you purchase the xchange program and a memory card, you can always download stuff from sites (roster saves are great!) and then use the xchange software to take it from your pc to your 360 harddrive.  i go to operationsports.com on a regular basis to get sports downloads (mostly rosters for sports games).  if you have the old xbox, there are guys there who do old school rosters for nfl 2k5...also, there's a guy who does old school nba rosters for nba 2k8 on the 360.

hope this helps...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 09:56:28 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
thanks for the info guys.....and aliendave, i dont think i understood a word u said, lol.  

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 09:59:35 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
i have a 360 that just died (RROD)...but it lasted pretty long before crapping out on me, so i can't complain i suppose.

i have the smaller harddrive (20 gb).  it suits me fine and i'm nowhere near using up the space.

i don't know much about the "elite" 360s, so you might check out some other sites for information...but i hear that even those are dying and must be returned to MS as well.

regarding live, i paid for a whole year (somewhere around $50)...but well worth the money as there is downloadable content and game demos.  plus, i purchased some microsoft points that i've used to purchase a few things (frogger, for one - love that game).

as far as fun games to play online, it just has to suit your tastes...depends if you like first person shooters, RPG's, sports...i love to play hockey (NHL 08) online.  i have call of duty 4 (as mentioned above)...there are flying games, racing games...i like the tom clancy games (rainbow 6 series).  the lego games are a TON of fun (star wars, indiana jones, and soon to be released batman).

also, if you purchase the xchange program and a memory card, you can always download stuff from sites (roster saves are great!) and then use the xchange software to take it from your pc to your 360 harddrive.  i go to operationsports.com on a regular basis to get sports downloads (mostly rosters for sports games).  if you have the old xbox, there are guys there who do old school rosters for nfl 2k5...also, there's a guy who does old school nba rosters for nba 2k8 on the 360.

hope this helps...

great stuff andy, tp for u!

im definately going to play online.  but i must admit i am fearful of being tooled and ridiculed by a 12 yr old kid and having him talking trash on those headsets along the way! lol

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 10:00:13 PM »

Offline wil

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 88

Andy, I just got the RROD myself.  Any way to fix this?  Someone told me I may be able to send it back and get it fixed b/c this is a known issue.  Any ideas about that?  Or am i out one xbox360?  I've had it for a while, but wouldn't want to scrap it just yet.  

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 10:03:53 PM »

Offline aliendave

• The Green Kornet

Andy, I just got the RROD myself.  Any way to fix this?  Someone told me I may be able to send it back and get it fixed b/c this is a known issue.  Any ideas about that?  Or am i out one xbox360?  I've had it for a while, but wouldn't want to scrap it just yet.  

If it is the RROD (3 red lights) and you purchased the 360 in the last 3 years you can get a replacement for free. Just call the customer service number and they'll tell you everything.

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 10:04:43 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
god i am such a novice with this.....whats a RROD?

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 10:04:43 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
sorry to hear that, wil...

go here: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/contact

i emailed microsoft on friday night and they've moved along pretty quickly...i will be receiving a box via ups on wednesday to send it back...i've heard that all warranties have been extended to 3 years, so i think i'll be covered.

there was no way to fix mine...i tried all the options that i read on the xbox forums (turn it off...reconnecting cables...few other options - nothing).  it's most likely something that's been caused by overheating, and ironically enough, i had the cooling system hooked up...i think it's just luck of the draw.

i'll keep you informed of the process, but so far so good...

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 10:08:27 PM »

Offline aliendave

• The Green Kornet
RROD is the Red Ring of Death. The 360 has a known issue where a certain component overheats and breaks. The failure rate on 360s is somewhere around 30%. They will replace the system because of RROD for three years. Keep in mind that for any other reasons your 360 may die (DVD drive dies for instance) the original one year warranty still applies.

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 10:09:20 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
god i am such a novice with this.....whats a RROD?

red ring of death...

three of the quadrants light up red on the 360 - just google it and you'll find a TON of sites.  there is another test you can run on it (you hold in two buttons simultaneously) and then it will light up again...mine had 2 lights which mean an unknown hardware failure...it's being returned either to be fixed or replaced.

the biggest problem i've heard is that some people have had theirs replaced up to 4 times or more...

dark lord - don't feel stupid about this.  there are many people on various levels who know about these things and i've learned a lot just by reading various message boards and asking questions.  i like the 360, but as i get older my joy of video gaming is starting to slowly erode...it's just getting too costly and i don't have the time like i once did as i work full-time and my wife and i are raising 4 children under the age of 10.  i like to read a lot (and i spend to much time here - LOL) and it tires me out...

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 10:09:54 PM »

Offline aliendave

• The Green Kornet
Sorry, I've been drinking. Wanted to hit modify, not quote...