Author Topic: Does Baron HAVE to sign with the Clips?  (Read 12985 times)

Does Baron HAVE to sign with the Clips?
« on: July 08, 2008, 09:08:25 PM »

Offline wil

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 88
First off, this is the first topic i've started (kind of nervous...this IS in the right forum, right??) 

But with Brand being a realistic possibility in Philly, does Davis still HAVE to sign with the Clippers?  Obviously no one can sign a contract until 12:01 am tomorrow, so he certianly hasn't signed his name on anything.  I've looked around and can't seem to find anyone talking about this.  What will BD do if Brand lands with philly?  Will he be drawn back to GS?  Will he still want to play in his hometown with the clips?  I am interested to see what happens...

Re: Does Baron HAVE to sign with the Clips?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 09:11:18 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Yes, it's the correct forum.

Not sure if he has to sign with the Clips. I think he doesn't have to, depends on the type of agreement they have, and remember he can't sign with the Clips until Brand either signs with someone else or he signs with the Clippers first.

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 09:11:48 PM »

Offline bleedingreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Hinrich sucks, Deng sucks, Bulls suck, I'm out.
He doesn't have to do anything, plus he said he was waiting to see what brand did first. So the Clippers are lookin like big time losers.

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 09:14:34 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Technically, Baron doesn't have to sign anywhere.  While verbal contracts are enforceable, it's unclear whether all the specific terms have been agreed to.  Even if they were, legally all contracts for more than a year have to be in writing, and generally a court won't enforce them; this is something known as the "statute of frauds".

As a practical matter, though, I think both Baron and his agent would be black-listed if they attempted to back out of the contract at this point.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 09:22:01 PM »

Offline Cooldude5t5

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 36
Technically, Baron doesn't have to sign anywhere.  While verbal contracts are enforceable, it's unclear whether all the specific terms have been agreed to.  Even if they were, legally all contracts for more than a year have to be in writing, and generally a court won't enforce them; this is something known as the "statute of frauds".

As a practical matter, though, I think both Baron and his agent would be black-listed if they attempted to back out of the contract at this point.

Blacklisted? How is Baron backing out of his agreement any worse than what Brand is doing? Brand told the Clippers to get him help which they did and now that the Sixers can offer more money he is bolting. If I was Baron I would not sign with the Clippers if Brand is not there. Baron does not want to play on a team with no hope of contending anytime soon. I have no problem with players looking out for their best interests. If Baron does back out of his agreement where can he end up? I see Cleveland jumping at the opportunity to do anything and everything to get him.

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 09:27:48 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
Because Brand is going to the Sixers, Davis should definately not sign with the Clippers.  It was only a verbal agreement, nothing was set in stone.  If Elton Brand isn't there, Baron Davis shouldn't be there which means that his only true other option left is to return to Golden State.

And cooldude is right.  Baron needs to look out for himself and ask himself what team is the best situation for me to go to.  Elton Brand specifically said "Get me help, get me Baron Davis" and then he goes and signs with the Sixers?  If anything, Clippers fans should be mad at Elton Brand and NOT Baron Davis if he leaves.

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 09:35:56 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
If Baron goes back to GSW, and then they do not sign CM, but sign Josh Smith, that would be SCARY for any 1st round matchup.

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 09:40:55 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Blacklisted? How is Baron backing out of his agreement any worse than what Brand is doing? Brand told the Clippers to get him help which they did and now that the Sixers can offer more money he is bolting. If I was Baron I would not sign with the Clippers if Brand is not there. Baron does not want to play on a team with no hope of contending anytime soon. I have no problem with players looking out for their best interests. If Baron does back out of his agreement where can he end up? I see Cleveland jumping at the opportunity to do anything and everything to get him.

Baron had an "agreement in principle", where terms were negotiated and agreed to.  Presumably, Brand never made so strong of a commitment.

Trust me:  if an agent sat down, negotiated a contract, everyone agreed to it, and then he allowed his client to back out, he would be blacklisted.

Baron is screwed now, though.  No Brand, no Maggette, no hope.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 09:43:52 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
yeah, but he gets to play in LA!  his hometown!  how fun!

(just don't tell him it is the Clippers and not the Lakers and he'll be alright)
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 09:44:28 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Can't imagine Brand would leave Davis hanging. Not sure he actually goes to Philly. If you ask me they are both playing the system like masters. Davis could well have added a stipulation to his verbal linking his signing to Brands. This would leave Brand free to explore the best fit. What is in it for Davis remains to be seen.

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 09:45:37 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Baron had an "agreement in principle", where terms were negotiated and agreed to.  Presumably, Brand never made so strong of a commitment.

Trust me:  if an agent sat down, negotiated a contract, everyone agreed to it, and then he allowed his client to back out, he would be blacklisted.

Yup, this is the only reason I can think of why Baron wouldn't be able to back out.  He absolutely could if he really wanted to, since no agreements are allowed to be made before tomorrow, meaning he couldn't have any sort of legally binding verbal agreement (I believe...but Roy would know the law better).  But no agent would ever allow their client to walk away like that.  No GM or owner would ever talk to the agent again, and they would lose all of their clients.

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 09:47:09 PM »

Offline wil

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 88
I'm very interested to see where BD will end up.  When he originally said he was going to sign with the Clips there was a lot of talk about hurt feelings from the benching last year.  I wonder if the wounds are too big for him to go back to GS.  Not to mention what the reported Maggette signing with GS does now.  Who else has the room to sign him?  I can't think of ANY good scenario for Baron

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 09:48:38 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

I think you are forgetting about this man.

Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 09:50:14 PM »

Offline JudsonMerrill

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 8
So Baron backs out of it and his agent wrings his hands and quits to show everyone he plays nice.

I'd rather settle with my ex-agent out of court then play 5 years for the Clippers sans Brand.
--
The Pool, an e-novella
Available at judsonmerrill.com

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 09:52:38 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
The Clips had their one chance a few yrs ago when Kobe was a FA. They traded out of the top 2 b/c they wanted Livingston, instead of drafting Okafor. I wonder if Okafor, Brand, Kaman, and Maggette in the front court would have been enough to convince him?

Clips could sign Josh Smith now, or they could just save money like always. Davis will eventually whine his way out of L.A. and get traded to a contender.