Author Topic: Another shot with Ricky Davis?  (Read 12049 times)

Re: Another shot with Ricky Davis?
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 12:38:51 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
Good find WD. I should do a mea culpa on my part. 

However, I still think the locker room is strong enough to handle a personality like Davis. He played hard in Boston. It's easy to kick him when he was out the door. But his effort was very high when he was a C.

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 12:39:18 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Ricky Davis = Cancer

I really don't want to duplicate what happen to Miami after they won it.

How would bringing in Ricky duplicate in anyway what happened to Miami after they won it? Is our best player about to suffer a major injury? Is our big man about to get lazy and unmotivated?

Davis was fantastic in Boston when he was here. Look, if anyone wants to question whether Ricky would accept coming off the bench - when Ricky got moved to the 6th man role as a Celtic, he didn't complain and did a nice job. And he blatantly deserved to be starting.

Davis would be the start of the downward spiral for the Celts.

Davis was far from fantastic. He's an inconstant jump shooter, plays little to no defense, and is a bad influence on the young guys that we had. Did you forget that he undermined Pierce and the openly didn't get along? How many teams winning teams has Davis been a part of?

Bringing in Davis kills the chemistry that they already have and would bring this team down. He the anti-abuntu, anti-Posey

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 12:41:41 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
How many teams winning teams has Davis been a part of?

The same amount of winning teams that Yao Ming, Shane Battier and Tracy McGrady have been part of. 

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 12:42:37 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Also, there were plenty of rumors that KG and Ricky didn't get along in Minnesota.

This is ultimately what matters.  If KG doesn't want to play with him, Ricky won't be signing with the Cs.

A little OT, but another FA to keep an eye on is J. Pargo.  I don't know what NOs plans are with him (he is unrestricted), but he is getting older, and while NO, with Paul, will be a force for years to come in the West, Pargo's best shot at a title is probably with the Cs.  Would he take a little less money to come aboard and play a House-like role for the Cs? (just speculating aloud here....)
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 12:45:20 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538
How many teams winning teams has Davis been a part of?

The same amount of winning teams that Yao Ming, Shane Battier and Tracy McGrady have been part of. 

Ricky is a loser, pure and simple.  His NBA teams have never won.  NBA owners blow an awful lot of money by ignoring simple facts like that.  You're better off biting the bullet and not replacing Posey (should you lose him) than bringing back Ricky.

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 12:50:35 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney

Ricky is a loser, pure and simple.  His NBA teams have never won.  NBA owners blow an awful lot of money by ignoring simple facts like that.  You're better off biting the bullet and not replacing Posey (should you lose him) than bringing back Ricky.

Talk about going overboard. Do you say the same things about Shane Battier? I'm just curious. Neither have been past the first round.

NBA owners have not blown that much on Davis, in fact, his contract has been quite reasonable for someone of his talent the past couple years.

But please, can anyone name a single team that Davis has been on that was expected to win? Noone can blame Davis for the debacle that was the Miami Heat last year.

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 01:00:19 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Talk about going overboard. Do you say the same things about Shane Battier? I'm just curious. Neither have been past the first round.

NBA owners have not blown that much on Davis, in fact, his contract has been quite reasonable for someone of his talent the past couple years.

But please, can anyone name a single team that Davis has been on that was expected to win? Noone can blame Davis for the debacle that was the Miami Heat last year.

What is the relevance of the first round? No one wants him to carry a team.

The problems is he can sink a team. He seems very insecure and wants to be the man, so he tries to undercut the team's real star.

There are plenty of teams where he can contribute positively. I don't see him improving a championship caliber team.

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2008, 01:25:37 PM »

Offline RickyD Fan

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
All very good arguements. I was only thinking about this because he is cost effective and productive at times on the floor. There are probably a lot of other guys out there you can say that about, I just can't think of any that are available. Ricky is a guy you might be able to get for Scalabrine-like money, and is far more productive. Just trying to think of alternatives if we can't get Posey, Maggette, etc...

That Stephon Marbury alternative would be an interesting situation as well. He too hasn't proven to be a winner on the court, but has loads of talent. Could he accept a back-up role? Living down here I've got the chance to watch a lot of Knicks games, and Stephon usually looked like the only guy out there playing with intensity.

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 01:28:14 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney

What is the relevance of the first round? No one wants him to carry a team.

That's exactly my point. Why in the world can he be labeled a loser when on a championship team, he's a role player at best? Marbury is different because he gets paid like a superstar. Davis, for all his talents, barely was paid above the mid-level. How anyone could blame him for his teams' lack of success is beyond me.

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2008, 01:30:50 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
What was the last team that was able to trade him for a good return? 

Teams that get him seem to turn around relatively fast and get rid of him. 

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2008, 01:33:34 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
All very good arguements. I was only thinking about this because he is cost effective and productive at times on the floor. There are probably a lot of other guys out there you can say that about, I just can't think of any that are available. Ricky is a guy you might be able to get for Scalabrine-like money, and is far more productive. Just trying to think of alternatives if we can't get Posey, Maggette, etc...

That Stephon Marbury alternative would be an interesting situation as well. He too hasn't proven to be a winner on the court, but has loads of talent. Could he accept a back-up role? Living down here I've got the chance to watch a lot of Knicks games, and Stephon usually looked like the only guy out there playing with intensity.

I'd repay Scalabrine his salary before I'd give that contract to Ricky. I'm not saying Scalabrine is more effective on the court that Ricky but Scalabrine doesn't bring the extra baggage and is a good locker room guy. That being said I'd trade Scal in a heart beat if there was any takers. Why spend the money on someone that your going to want to turn around and get rid of? Scalabrine is a perfect example of why we shouldn't throw money at a guy just because he's one of the only guys out there at this time. Rather see us give the minutes to Giddens or House.

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2008, 01:35:42 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Ricky Davis has never in his NBA life helped turn a losing franchise into a winning franchise.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2008, 01:38:20 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Ricky Davis has never in his NBA life helped turn a losing franchise into a winning franchise.

Yes he did.   He helped Cleveland be bad enough to get Lebron. 

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2008, 01:42:14 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney

Not true.

03-04 - Boston Celtics - 36-46
Davis was traded to the Celtics midway through the 03-04 season.
04-05 - Boston Celtics - 45-37

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2008, 01:55:21 PM »

Offline Texstyles

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
As a member of the Brigade I would love to see Ricky as a Celtic.  Problem is after his departure there were reports that he was shipped out of town because he was undermining Pierce like someone said before.  If thats true no way he is back here.  Now if that wasn't the case and he did get along with Garnett in Minny then I think he is the next best option in FA after Posey and Magette.  He knows the system, coaches, and 2/3's of the stars on this team.  Don't forget he was arguably the 6th man of the year here in Boston,  aren't we looking for 6th man?