Author Topic: Another shot with Ricky Davis?  (Read 12058 times)

Another shot with Ricky Davis?
« on: July 08, 2008, 11:08:12 AM »

Offline RickyD Fan

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Someone had to post this, and since I've been representing my lovely screen-name since the early days of this site I thought I should be first.

What are your thoughts on bringing back Ricky Davis for a low salary to provide some scoring off the bench. The kid can score and there should be enough strength in the locker room to keep him in check. It doesn't seem like the Heat are scrambling to sign him, so he might available for cheap. He can hit his own shot and passes well, considering we only need him for 10-15 minutes a game it might be worht the gamble (because he still does some stupid stuff on the court).

Re: Another shot with Ricky Davis?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 11:11:39 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Talent-wise, he's somebody who could help off the bench.  However, I don't think Doc wants the headache.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 11:14:05 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I think Ricky might have a Latrell Sprewell attitude about his salary though.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 11:17:12 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
he's not a bad option if Maggette isn't available - I wouldn't mind seeing the Buckets Brigade back in the stands either

here's the big question - he can come in, he knows the system, he's even played with KG before - can he defer and be a true 6th man, or will he be "bad Ricky" - I saw a lot more good than bad when he was here, but in some ways his reputation has preceded himself... as a plan C, on short money, I'd welcome Ricky back with half open arms
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 11:18:52 AM »

Offline Tw1x990

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 47
Ricky was almost perfect when he played for the C's .. there are some headcases in the league but i just dont see ricky as one of them. I liked him alot when he played for us a few years ago and he deffinetly fills a need .. not bad defensively either, i'd totally make him an offer if i was danny and posey/magette are gone.

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 11:22:06 AM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
I think this is an option danny will consider when megette and posey is no longer available. I'm sure Ricky will come back in a heartbeat, we don't really have to work him out cause we know what he can do on the court.

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 11:24:16 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Ricky Davis = Cancer

I really don't want to duplicate what happen to Miami after they won it.

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 11:32:14 AM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
Ricky Davis = Cancer

I really don't want to duplicate what happen to Miami after they won it.

How would bringing in Ricky duplicate in anyway what happened to Miami after they won it? Is our best player about to suffer a major injury? Is our big man about to get lazy and unmotivated?

Davis was fantastic in Boston when he was here. Look, if anyone wants to question whether Ricky would accept coming off the bench - when Ricky got moved to the 6th man role as a Celtic, he didn't complain and did a nice job. And he blatantly deserved to be starting.

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 11:42:45 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Thread nš 69237221 about Davis... ::)

No. I don't want Maggette, so much less Davis...

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 11:46:17 AM »

Offline Celtic_E

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
I think Marbury would have a better chance to come here than Ricky Davis.  ;D

Davis, if his head is screwed on correctly, could help the team a lot as a 6th man. He's a fantastic athlete and has the capability to defend well if he wants to. But the problem is he has too many issues both on and off court and I don't think Doc and Paul Pierce were too broken up the first time he left town. I even remember reading an article where Doc basically says that Davis and Blount had worn out their welcome to the team and shipping them out was a gust of fresh air for the team.

Don't leave the porch lights on for Ricky cause he won't be coming back anytime soon.

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 11:52:24 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Someone had to post this, and since I've been representing my lovely screen-name since the early days of this site I thought I should be first.

What are your thoughts on bringing back Ricky Davis for a low salary to provide some scoring off the bench. The kid can score and there should be enough strength in the locker room to keep him in check. It doesn't seem like the Heat are scrambling to sign him, so he might available for cheap. He can hit his own shot and passes well, considering we only need him for 10-15 minutes a game it might be worht the gamble (because he still does some stupid stuff on the court).

Someone has posted this, many many times.  My response is still no.  Hopefully Danny and Doc agree with me (and many others here) on this one.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 12:01:53 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
But the problem is he has too many issues both on and off court and I don't think Doc and Paul Pierce were too broken up the first time he left town.

What off the court issues has Davis had?

I even remember reading an article where Doc basically says that Davis and Blount had worn out their welcome to the team and shipping them out was a gust of fresh air for the team.

Rivers remembers
Rivers took some time to recall coaching Davis and Blount, though it wouldn't necessarily be called reminiscing.

"Ricky is a challenging personality, but there was a lot of communication," said Rivers. "I thought that helped with him. I think we still forget how young Ricky still is. Mark also was a challenge, obviously. He was a challenge before I got there and he was a challenge when I got there. I told Mark when he plays well, he's one of the better bigs in our league at times. He's not consistent, but you can see it there.

"Rick I communicated a ton with because I think you have to. Mark it went back and forth. Sometimes I thought Mark wanted to hear it. Sometimes he didn't. You've got to make a choice when to give him room and when to not. Obviously, there's times I probably did it poorly, and times I did it right. But that's not an easy job.

"With Ricky, you've got to stay in his ear and you've got to be relentless with it. It's tough because you have 14 or 15 other players. But if you want the production out of him, you have to. The one thing I never questioned is his talent. I had gripes with [Blount] and I had gripes with Ricky at times, but overall [Blount] played hard for me. For the most part, he did his job. I wish he had done it better at times."

This was the article brought into question. I don't see where Doc said that Davis wore out his welcome with the team or that trading the two brought a gust of fresh air to the team.

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 12:14:04 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I would be surprised to see Ricky Davis back here with the Cs.  It would take some getting used to, but I imagine I would come around. 

Here is something to think about -- Ricky, like PP and RA prior to last year, is not known for his defense.  Is this something that could turn around under the right coach and in the right system?  He has the speed to be a very good defender -- he could be a nice spark offensively and defensively off the bench.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 12:18:46 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I don't think Ricky is coming back. 

I just have the image of him and Blount hugging after beating the Celtics in a meaningless game, acting like they just won the title. 

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 12:31:35 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
But the problem is he has too many issues both on and off court and I don't think Doc and Paul Pierce were too broken up the first time he left town.

What off the court issues has Davis had?

I even remember reading an article where Doc basically says that Davis and Blount had worn out their welcome to the team and shipping them out was a gust of fresh air for the team.

Rivers remembers
Rivers took some time to recall coaching Davis and Blount, though it wouldn't necessarily be called reminiscing.

"Ricky is a challenging personality, but there was a lot of communication," said Rivers. "I thought that helped with him. I think we still forget how young Ricky still is. Mark also was a challenge, obviously. He was a challenge before I got there and he was a challenge when I got there. I told Mark when he plays well, he's one of the better bigs in our league at times. He's not consistent, but you can see it there.

"Rick I communicated a ton with because I think you have to. Mark it went back and forth. Sometimes I thought Mark wanted to hear it. Sometimes he didn't. You've got to make a choice when to give him room and when to not. Obviously, there's times I probably did it poorly, and times I did it right. But that's not an easy job.

"With Ricky, you've got to stay in his ear and you've got to be relentless with it. It's tough because you have 14 or 15 other players. But if you want the production out of him, you have to. The one thing I never questioned is his talent. I had gripes with [Blount] and I had gripes with Ricky at times, but overall [Blount] played hard for me. For the most part, he did his job. I wish he had done it better at times."

This was the article brought into question. I don't see where Doc said that Davis wore out his welcome with the team or that trading the two brought a gust of fresh air to the team.

It wasn't only that article.  There were others.

Quote from: Doc Rivers (via the September 29, 2006 Herald)
``The other [off-the-court] stuff going on [with Ricky] was tough,'' he said. ``It was more directed from player to player, and that affects chemistry, and that has to be cleared up. Players have to pull for each other.''

Quote from: September 29, 2006 Herald
There is also a quiet acknowledgement from the team that by midseason, Rivers had an unworkable situation on his hands. The Davis experiment, while bearing fruit on the floor after two seasons, had run its course in the locker room.

According to a team source, Davis habitually undercut Paul Pierce's authority, often talking and joking behind the Celtics captain's back, and ``rolling his eyes'' when Pierce attempted to address the rest of the team. Similar things were said about Davis during his brief time as LeBron James' teammate in Cleveland.

``Paul was very aware of it,'' said the source. ``It began to affect his play and his demeanor. That was something that had to change.''

Quote from: April 21, 2006 Herald
But at least Rivers claims to see more clearly now. With the various disruptions and distractions of Mark Blount, Ricky Davis and Marcus Banks out of the way, Rivers expects to have a more orderly process in hand next October.

``I think so,'' [Doc] said. ...

I'm sure there are other reports out there.  Also, there were plenty of rumors that KG and Ricky didn't get along in Minnesota.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions