Author Topic: How happy will we (Lakers) be with Posey?  (Read 4382 times)

How happy will we (Lakers) be with Posey?
« on: July 07, 2008, 03:55:22 PM »

Offline Discoflux

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 22
Hey there fellas.
If we/the Lakers acquire Posey, how happy are we going to be with him over a 4-5 year deal?
Also, why would he leave the Celtics if they're winning rings?  Is this guy all about more money?

Thanks for any input.  Peace out!

Re: How happy will we (Lakers) be with Posey?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 03:59:27 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Hey there fellas.
If we/the Lakers acquire Posey, how happy are we going to be with him over a 4-5 year deal?
Also, why would he leave the Celtics if they're winning rings?  Is this guy all about more money?

He wants his last big contract.  He is 31. 

I want him back if it is a three year deal. 

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 04:00:37 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
IMHO

James has won 2 rings now and he's looking for the payout and will take it either here in Boston or elsewhere.  As much as I want him here in Boston, I wish him well where ever he lands - even if its in gold and purple (although, not as much  ;))
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 04:01:28 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Hey there fellas.

I wouldn't go after him if I were the Lakers.  He is a lousy fit and you would absolutely hate him. ;D
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 04:04:53 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
Hey there fellas.

I would predict that the next year or two you would be very happy, and may even win it all, he would bring to the lakers everything that they don't have, defense and toughness. After that though you would be dissapointed, as he would not be worth anywhere near his contract and may hamper the team's ability to get other key guys. He has already slowed down a bit defensively, in a year or two his main strength will be gone.

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 04:07:10 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

It's a great idea. What team wouldn't want to have 3 backup small forwards all making around $6M a year? Posey and Walton will be $6M bookends on the bench by the 2011-2012 season.

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 04:09:17 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The Lakers will love him for 2 years and bemoan him after his first of many injuries at the beginning of the third. James Posey will not even resemble the player he is right now in the fourth year of that contract. I'd be my mortgage...if I could even get the credit to sign a mortgage.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 04:13:31 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I think he's a better fit for the Lakers at the 3 than Odom both offensively and defensively.  For defensive reasons, it's obvious.  However, on offense I think that his ability to hit the outside shot opens things up for Kobe, Gasol, and Bynum.  I think that's especially important for the Lakers next year as Bynum's return will help them defensively, but clog up the lane even more for Kobe.  Put Posey out there, it at least mitigates the problem. 

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 04:45:20 PM »

Offline SamuelAdams

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
The question is how happy will James be with the Fakers.

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 04:52:11 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
Very.

Although, I must say, I don't get it as much for the Lakers (or Hornets for that matter). I can see the Celtics, even Suns (if they weren't so cheap) or maybe Pistons giving Posey 4 years at the full MLE. For those teams, they have a closing window and Posey is a guy who can help a team A LOT in the next two seasons. If he helps put you over the top (the way he did with the Celtics this year), it's worth it for those teams looking for one last run, even though you know he'll be a much lesser player in the third, fourth and maybe fifth seasons of the contract. Posey's a guy who's probably worth the full MLE this year, and maybe next, but in his third year, you'll be thinking he makes twice as much as he deserves, and in the fourth year it'll probably be worse.

For the Celtics, it's doable because the team is led by stars in their 30s. They have to do what they can to win as much as they can in the next 4 seasons. And during that time, our big contracts will gradually be decreasing so overpaying for one guy won't be quite so bad (I can see Ray, Paul and KG all signing for less when their contracts expire in 2, 3 and 4 seasons) because the stars are probably going to give us more financial freedom. But for the Lakers, they're looking at probably 6-8 more max salary years for Kobe, big money for Gasol for the next 7-8 years and big money/max contracts for Bynum for the next decade. They aren't going to have as much to spend as the Celtics in 3 years' time, which is when Posey's going to start looking like a bad signing. So overpaying a guy like Posey becomes worse and worse as time goes on for a young team like the Lakers (or Hornets) because it ties them up later on when they're still contending. For the Celtics, we're expecting rebuilding in 4-5 years, so why not keep going all in right now?
Go Celtics.

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 05:06:00 PM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
Posey's value declines the more he is expected to play a significant role - on both of his teams where he won rings, he was not a featured player, he was a role player, and a very effective one, but if some team is expecting him to come in and be one of the top 2 or 3 options, I don't think he works in that spot...
Now, on to 18...

Re: How happy would the Lakers be with Posey?
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 05:13:34 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Posey's value declines the more he is expected to play a significant role - on both of his teams where he won rings, he was not a featured player, he was a role player, and a very effective one, but if some team is expecting him to come in and be one of the top 2 or 3 options, I don't think he works in that spot...

TP, good point, bbc.

All I can say, Discoflux, is that I really hope this guy doesn't wind up in purple and gold.  That should tell you plenty about his worth here.  And that may only mean all the more to a Laker team that was soft on D at the three last year.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 05:22:34 PM »

Offline dooyork

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 42
Well, on the one hand, you guys will be happy to have a guy who can shut down the other team's best offensive player from SG to PF, grab seemingly every contested rebound that comes anywhere near him, outhustle everybody on the floor, frustrate the opposing team, get his own team mates fired up, hit clutch 3 pointers, dive for loose balls, and basically do everything it takes to actually win games, whether it shows up on the scoreboard or not.  In other words, if winning championships is what you enjoy, then yes, you should like having James Posey on your team.

On the other hand, winning championships is not everything.  As a lot of posters here on Celticsblog keep pointing out, there is also value in not having 6 million tied up in salary during the 2013 season.  So if not having 6 million tied up in 2013 is the sort of thing that sends a tingle down your spine, then don't sign Posey, because signing him might require 5 years full MLE.

Winning championships, not having 6 mil tied up in 2013.  Decisions, decisions! 
Double rainbow all the way

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 05:43:53 PM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Umm. Your going to be real unhappy if the Spurs get Corey Maggette. They will punk the Lakers in the playoffs if they get him. You heard it here first.

Pete

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 05:46:18 PM »

Offline Discoflux

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 22
thanks for some quality posts.

enjoy your off-season-'09 season as World Champs.