Author Topic: Is Danny Ainge the best GM in the NBA (or sports for that matter)?  (Read 18060 times)

Re: Is Danny Ainge the best GM in the NBA (or sports for that matter)?
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2013, 12:30:36 AM »

Offline CantBeRight

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Not 1...not 2...not 3...not 4...BUT 17
ainge is the best
he has rings as a player and Gm

what other Gm can say that?

I think the others are
Mitch Kupcheck and Pat Riley

well with pat..
i forget anything dealing with a laker

and the only Mitch i know is the deodorant Mitchum

TP.  ;D
Celtics fan in Houston.

« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2013, 12:41:05 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The thing that everyone forgets in the KG deal is that the Celtics were the only team Minny would trade KG too.  KG wouldn't sign an extension with any team that was losing and any team that KG would sign an extension to go to would have no shot of being a lottery team. So a number one draft pick was essentially meaningless from those teams.

What the Wolves needed was a draft pick that would be a sure fire lottery pick and only the Celtics could offer that because they had the Wolves #1 pick.  If the Wolves trade Garnett, they are definitely in the lottery. 

Add to that Al Jefferson who was and has been a very good player and the Wolves did alright in that deal.

For whatever it's worth, that pick we dealt back to Minnesota wasn't a lottery pick.  Due to the protections on the pick, it eventually turned into a second rounder.

(I know some outlets list that #1 as the Johnny Flynn pick, but that's not accurate.)

That was the Boston pick maybe, the Wolves can't have a pick protected pick that was their own pick.  Boston had Minny's 1st round pick that year they acquired in a Wally Szerbiak deal.

We had Minnesota's #1, but it had protections on it.  Also, because of a previous trade Minnesota made with the Clippers (from the Marko Jaric trade) we couldn't get Minnesota's pick until two years after the Clippers got that pick.

Because of the protections, that #1 pick would have never vested.  Instead, it was converted into a second rounder.

I don't know where you are getting that but,

"Boston's 2009 first-round draft pick (top 3 protected), and the 2009 first-round pick which Minnesota had traded to Boston in the Ricky Davis-Wally Szczerbiak trade of 2006."

Is from the NBA website.  And that pick was used on Johnny Flynn. 

With the 28th pick from Boston Minny selected Jonas Jerepko and they also had the 5th pick from Washington they used to select Ricky Rubio.

Not sure where you are getting your information, mine is from the NBA.

Minnesota's pick protected, we traded that protected pick back to them, so they no longer owed and kind of obligation. They picked Johnny Flynn with their own pick that year. It's not contradictory to what Roy has been saying (which is accurate).

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2013, 01:45:19 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Ainge is a good one but Arsenal's and Man United Managers have been pretty good too.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2013, 04:39:18 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
also GM from Seattle is doing well

Thunder or Kings?  ;)

Presti, probably, and yeah he is.

« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2013, 06:56:57 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Ainge is a good one but Arsenal's and Man United Managers have been pretty good too.

See how well they perform with a salary cap and no money for large transfer fees.

« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2013, 07:20:07 AM »

Offline OttawaCeltic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
He sucks now...

So he constructs a team that is flourishing even though two of their biggest contributors this season are out for the season, and he sucks?

Yeah, try again.

Okay I'll try again...

The conclusion of the Perk trade was one of the most questionnable trades in the decade. Trading a key piece to another championship, not to mention having two other injury prone centers, in the middle of chasing one last ring for the big 3?

Also letting go of Ray A for dealing with Rondo? Also for drafting horribly pre-Bradley? Also for not firing overrated coach Doc "the all talk" Rivers?

Too much on my mind bro...

Questionable, but not wrong. It was a good trade.

What's wrong with letting Ray Allen go exactly? Ray Allen left, so what? Sorry if I don't concern myself too much about how Danny drafted with picks at the very end of the draft.

Why would he fire Doc Rivers? Overrated he may be, but he's still on of our best recruiting assets to get talented player to come and play for the Celtics. For good or worse, he's not incompetent.

Yeah, I know I luv Jeff Green's game so much right now, but I'd rather have that shot for a championship at that moment. Ray Allen was highly influenced by Rondo's stubbornness to leave Beantown. Yeah, you dont concern yourself for the draft picks since your that guy who wanted JR Giddens for crying out loud ::)

Also, there are plenty of other unhired coaches that other players could love to join them on a team.

Huh? I don't care one way or another. We drafted Giddens, was curious as to why he was signed, liked the prospects of what he could bring defensively and with his rebounding. I don't recall EVER pushing for Ainge to draft Giddens. So he was a bust, it happens... you're getting a bit ridiculous with your arguments.

You might have forgotten though that when we traded for Jeff Green we didn't have a back-up SF, that's the reason the trade was made essentially. Perk was also hobbling, he was traded for a healthy Center and a SF. BTW, Perk sucked badly that year in the playoffs.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=20989.msg327247#msg327247

Yeah, try again lol
Jameer an elite PG?Please, ask that to his garbage highlights.

PAUL PIERCE, NO!

« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2013, 07:31:24 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

See how well they perform with a salary cap and no money for large transfer fees.

That's totally irrelevant, since they don't have a salary cap and have money for large transfer fees.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2013, 07:32:11 AM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
Belicheck is essentially the GM of the Pats.... He's the best!
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2013, 07:58:55 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

That's totally irrelevant, since they don't have a salary cap and have money for large transfer fees.

Thanks for pointing that out.

« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2013, 07:59:42 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The thing that everyone forgets in the KG deal is that the Celtics were the only team Minny would trade KG too.  KG wouldn't sign an extension with any team that was losing and any team that KG would sign an extension to go to would have no shot of being a lottery team. So a number one draft pick was essentially meaningless from those teams.

What the Wolves needed was a draft pick that would be a sure fire lottery pick and only the Celtics could offer that because they had the Wolves #1 pick.  If the Wolves trade Garnett, they are definitely in the lottery. 

Add to that Al Jefferson who was and has been a very good player and the Wolves did alright in that deal.

For whatever it's worth, that pick we dealt back to Minnesota wasn't a lottery pick.  Due to the protections on the pick, it eventually turned into a second rounder.

(I know some outlets list that #1 as the Johnny Flynn pick, but that's not accurate.)

That was the Boston pick maybe, the Wolves can't have a pick protected pick that was their own pick.  Boston had Minny's 1st round pick that year they acquired in a Wally Szerbiak deal.

We had Minnesota's #1, but it had protections on it.  Also, because of a previous trade Minnesota made with the Clippers (from the Marko Jaric trade) we couldn't get Minnesota's pick until two years after the Clippers got that pick.

Because of the protections, that #1 pick would have never vested.  Instead, it was converted into a second rounder.

I don't know where you are getting that but,

"Boston's 2009 first-round draft pick (top 3 protected), and the 2009 first-round pick which Minnesota had traded to Boston in the Ricky Davis-Wally Szczerbiak trade of 2006."

Is from the NBA website.  And that pick was used on Johnny Flynn. 

With the 28th pick from Boston Minny selected Jonas Jerepko and they also had the 5th pick from Washington they used to select Ricky Rubio.

Not sure where you are getting your information, mine is from the NBA.

Minnesota's pick protected, we traded that protected pick back to them, so they no longer owed and kind of obligation. They picked Johnny Flynn with their own pick that year. It's not contradictory to what Roy has been saying (which is accurate).

Yeah, I'm not going to spend a lot of time arguing on something where I know I'm right.

Here are the details on that pick, from Celtics.com:

Aside from our own picks, the Celtics are likely entitled to receive a future first-round pick from the Minnesota Timberwolves. Due to a league rule prohibiting teams from ever placing themselves in a situation where two consecutive future first-round picks have been traded away, the Celtics cannot receive the first round pick the Timberwolves owe from the Ricky Davis/Wally Szczerbiak trade until two years after the Timberwolves send a pick to the Clippers (from the Sam Cassell/Marko Jaric trade). However, because the Clippers trade involved top 10 "protection," Minnesota only has to send the pick to the Clippers if the pick falls outside the top 10 picks in the draft. Therefore, in future years, Celtics fans should be rooting for Minnesota to win (when, of course, they're not playing against the Celtics) until the Timberwolves finish a season out of the bottom ten, and send their pick to the Clippers. Two years after this occurs, the Timberwolves will send their first-round pick to the Celtics, subject to some "protection" which decreases annually after the first year in which we could receive the pick.*

The situation is further complicated by a league rule that prevents any deals being made involving drafts more than 7 drafts into the future; as a result the Celtics cannot receive Minnesota's pick after the 2012 draft, since the Ricky/Wally trade was made before the 2006 draft. Therefore, if the Timberwolves do not send a pick to the Clippers by the end of the 2010 draft, the Celtics will be unable to receive the Timberwolves' first-round pick in 2012, and will instead receive a second-round pick in 2012.

* For those die-hard draft fans who want all the details, here's how the protection on this pick works: If the Timberwolves send a pick to the Clippers in 2007, we receive the Timberwolves' pick in 2009 if it falls outside of the top 14, in 2010 if it falls outside of the top 5, in 2011 if it falls outside of the top 3, or in 2012 unconditionally. If the Timberwolves send a pick to the Clippers in 2008, we receive the Timberwolves' pick in 2010 if it falls outside of the top 14, in 2011 if it falls outside of the top 5, or in 2012 unconditionally. If the Timberwolves send a pick to the Clippers in 2009, we receive the Timberwolves' pick in 2011 if it falls outside the top 14, or in 2012 unconditionally. Finally, if the Timberwolves send a pick to the Clippers in 2010, we receive the Timberwolves' pick in 2012 unconditionally.

http://www.nba.com/celtics/stats/inside-the-numbers/numbers042006.html

The Clippers didn't get the Twolves' pick until 2012 (which was traded to New Orleans in the CP3 deal, and became Austin Rivers).

Read the bolded part above:  we would have ended up with a second rounder.  The Celtics never, ever had the right to a lottery pick.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2013, 09:35:12 PM »

Offline OttawaCeltic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
Belicheck is essentially the GM of the Pats.... He's the best!

Not really...
Jameer an elite PG?Please, ask that to his garbage highlights.

PAUL PIERCE, NO!

« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2013, 10:21:43 PM »

Offline Reyquila

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
  • Let them hate, as long as they fear
Of course he is. Who's doubting it?
And someday in the midst of time,
When they ask you if you knew me
Remember that you were a friend of mine