Author Topic: Is Danny Ainge the best GM in the NBA (or sports for that matter)?  (Read 18074 times)

Re: Is Danny Ainge the best GM in the NBA (or sports for that matter)?
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2013, 10:17:04 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The thing that everyone forgets in the KG deal is that the Celtics were the only team Minny would trade KG too.  KG wouldn't sign an extension with any team that was losing and any team that KG would sign an extension to go to would have no shot of being a lottery team. So a number one draft pick was essentially meaningless from those teams.

What the Wolves needed was a draft pick that would be a sure fire lottery pick and only the Celtics could offer that because they had the Wolves #1 pick.  If the Wolves trade Garnett, they are definitely in the lottery. 

Add to that Al Jefferson who was and has been a very good player and the Wolves did alright in that deal.

For whatever it's worth, that pick we dealt back to Minnesota wasn't a lottery pick.  Due to the protections on the pick, it eventually turned into a second rounder.

(I know some outlets list that #1 as the Johnny Flynn pick, but that's not accurate.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2013, 10:17:43 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Ainge was lucky that two 30+ stars on bad teams came available at the perfect time for the Celtics (when they had a top draft pick, a young stud in Jefferson and two short term large money contracts)  Ainge did a good job gathering those pieces, but had luck in terms of the other teams. 

Did you really think it was so surprising that KG was on the market? He had like 1 year left on his contract and Minny was going nowhere.

Not surprising, but lucky.

The T-Wolves could have pulled the plug the year before or year after.

The thing that everyone forgets in the KG deal is that the Celtics were the only team Minny would trade KG too.  KG wouldn't sign an extension with any team that was losing and any team that KG would sign an extension to go to would have no shot of being a lottery team. So a number one draft pick was essentially meaningless from those teams.

What the Wolves needed was a draft pick that would be a sure fire lottery pick and only the Celtics could offer that because they had the Wolves #1 pick.  If the Wolves trade Garnett, they are definitely in the lottery. 

Add to that Al Jefferson who was and has been a very good player and the Wolves did alright in that deal.

Also remember that KG didn't want to come to Boston initially, so Ainge scrambled, got a trade done for Ray Allen, and suddenly Boston became very attractive to KG.

So not only did Ainge trade away some of our big assets to get Ray Allen, he had enough left over to keep Minnesota interested while doing moves to convince an elite player to want to come and play for your organization when he previously didn't want to. Oh, and kept Rondo, probably our best prospect and one of our biggest assets.

Anyone who wants to downplay what Ainge did for us that offseason, is simply making a losing argument.

« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2013, 10:21:12 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210

For whatever it's worth, that pick we dealt back to Minnesota wasn't a lottery pick.  Due to the protections on the pick, it eventually turned into a second rounder.

(I know some outlets list that #1 as the Johnny Flynn pick, but that's not accurate.)

That was the Boston pick maybe, the Wolves can't have a pick protected pick that was their own pick.  Boston had Minny's 1st round pick that year they acquired in a Wally Szerbiak deal.

« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2013, 10:27:01 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

That was the Boston pick maybe, the Wolves can't have a pick protected pick that was their own pick.  Boston had Minny's 1st round pick that year they acquired in a Wally Szerbiak deal.

We had Minnesota's #1, but it had protections on it.  Also, because of a previous trade Minnesota made with the Clippers (from the Marko Jaric trade) we couldn't get Minnesota's pick until two years after the Clippers got that pick.

Because of the protections, that #1 pick would have never vested.  Instead, it was converted into a second rounder. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2013, 10:30:48 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
He sucks now...

So he constructs a team that is flourishing even though two of their biggest contributors this season are out for the season, and he sucks?

Yeah, try again.

Okay I'll try again...

The conclusion of the Perk trade was one of the most questionnable trades in the decade. Trading a key piece to another championship, not to mention having two other injury prone centers, in the middle of chasing one last ring for the big 3?

Also letting go of Ray A for dealing with Rondo? Also for drafting horribly pre-Bradley? Also for not firing overrated coach Doc "the all talk" Rivers?

Too much on my mind bro...

I disagree.

Perk was going to get, and he did get, overpaid, and we got Green and Melo for him. Solid deal imo. Perk was a shell of his former self for over a year after his return from knee surgery, he wasn't going to bring us banner 18.

Ray left because he didn't want to admit that he's washed up. So far, Danny and Doc were completely correct on that one. Ray sucked last year, and he sucks on the heat so far. He can't dribble, throws the ball away, and is a defensive liability. All he can do is hit open jumpers and free throws.

Drafting poorly before Bradley? Are you kidding me? He drafted Rondo, Big Al, etc. Ainge is consistently one of the best at drafting.

If you want to criticize him on anything, it should be for not re-signing Tony Allen. That was his most costly move imo. We missed TA for two years, may have cost us a banner.

Not resigning Posey is his only blunder IMO

« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2013, 10:51:21 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
if DA. can come up with a big man to help KG it would be a huge feather in his cap

« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2013, 11:17:57 PM »

Offline edwardjkasche

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
I wrote this after the game today:

"I want to call out everyone who has bashed Ainge this season!

We lost our starting PG and new starting PF this week and managed to win 4 in a row and play some [dang] good basketball during that stretch.

A team couldn’t do that unless it was well constructed.

Green’s been playing better (though I’ll admit he’ll never be dollar-for-dollar worth his contract), Terry’s shots are starting to fall, Barbosa is an offensive spark, Lee and Bradley are smothering opposing guards, Collins has been chipping in solid if not spectacular minutes, Wilcox is returning with energy, Bass is stepping up when needed. And, The Truth and KG have been rolling along.

But, fan after fan has been complaining day after day that we don’t have Blatche or we haven’t traded for this guy or that guy. It’s not a video game. GMs can’t just make every dream move come true. Ainge has put together a team that can compete and win games without its starting PG and PF. That’s impressive.

I know we still need another big or two, and I’m sure Ainge is working the phones for a trade or free agent signing, but the man did his job during the off-season.

It’s odd to write this, but if Darko had stuck around we may not even be in the position to need another big."

Point is, Ainge has done a great job every season with the money and spots he has available.  People who complain often complain because we don't get one particular guy, but there are hundreds of reason why, and no one ever seems to remember that guys Ainge brings in HAVE TO FIT THEIR SYSTEM.

Ainge isn't the best GM in the NBA (the Thunder and Spurs have been pretty good for a while, and stupid Pat Riley did build a championship-caliber team (based on lies and back-stabbing)), but Ainge is a top-5 in the NBA and top-20 in all of sports... and that's pretty [dang] good.  I trust him.  Even though I cried when Perk was traded...

« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2013, 11:33:38 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
At the end of the day, Ainge is at least better than average. I don't think he's the best in sports, by a long shot, but he isn't below average!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2013, 11:37:01 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
ainge is the best
he has rings as a player and Gm

what other Gm can say that?

« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2013, 11:40:53 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Ainge was lucky that two 30+ stars on bad teams came available at the perfect time for the Celtics (when they had a top draft pick, a young stud in Jefferson and two short term large money contracts)  Ainge did a good job gathering those pieces, but had luck in terms of the other teams. 

Did you really think it was so surprising that KG was on the market? He had like 1 year left on his contract and Minny was going nowhere.

Not surprising, but lucky.

The T-Wolves could have pulled the plug the year before or year after.

Not often I get quoted from 5 years ago. 

« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2013, 11:45:03 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
ainge is the best

I think the others are
Mitch Kupcheck and Pat Riley

« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2013, 11:53:56 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Oh, and kept Rondo, probably our best prospect and one of our biggest assets.

IIRC, Seattle really really wanted Rondo in the Ray Allen deal. Kudos to Danny for sticking with his gut and sending them Delonte instead.

« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2013, 11:57:32 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
ainge is the best

I think the others are

well with pat..
i forget anything dealing with a laker

and the only Mitch i know is the deodorant Mitchum

« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2013, 12:03:48 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210

We had Minnesota's #1, but it had protections on it.  Also, because of a previous trade Minnesota made with the Clippers (from the Marko Jaric trade) we couldn't get Minnesota's pick until two years after the Clippers got that pick.

Because of the protections, that #1 pick would have never vested.  Instead, it was converted into a second rounder.

I don't know where you are getting that but,

"Boston's 2009 first-round draft pick (top 3 protected), and the 2009 first-round pick which Minnesota had traded to Boston in the Ricky Davis-Wally Szczerbiak trade of 2006."

Is from the NBA website.  And that pick was used on Johnny Flynn. 

With the 28th pick from Boston Minny selected Jonas Jerepko and they also had the 5th pick from Washington they used to select Ricky Rubio.

Not sure where you are getting your information, mine is from the NBA.

« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2013, 12:22:47 AM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
ainge is the best

I think the others are

well with pat..
i forget anything dealing with a laker

and the only Mitch i know is the deodorant Mitchum