Author Topic: Celtics Stuff Live! Tonight, from 8-10:00PM, EDT.  (Read 4314 times)

Celtics Stuff Live! Tonight, from 8-10:00PM, EDT.
« on: July 06, 2008, 08:18:20 AM »

Offline JB_Celticsstuff

• Author
  • Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
Celtics Stuff Live! Tonight, from 8-10:00PM, EDT.

There are a lot of questions being asked about the Celtics free agent plans and draft night strategy and even some straight answers given, as in this report from Bill Burt of the "Lawrence Eagle Tribune," as long ago as July 2nd.

The Celtics forward (Posey), who officially became a free agent yesterday, has basically been told, via his agent Mark Bartelstein, that the Celtics will not enter a bidding war. And I mean not even close to a bidding war.
    The Celtics ownership group has told Danny Ainge & Co. that Posey's dream of twentysomething million isn't happening here....the Celtics would like to keep that mid-level exception open...some interesting veterans might want that slot (see Corey Maggette) and shot at a championship for one season.
     That would mean Posey taking another deal in the $3.5 million vicinity, probably for one or at most two seasons. Celtics owners would have to be convinced, too. And I'm not sure if they would do that.

As has been noted, most answers, just lead me to more questions......

With a gaping hole at back up center, more glaring with Kedrick Perkins’ (can we now say chronic?) shoulder problems why has the team drafted two wing players and made overtures (if not a "formal offer") to a free agent at the same position, which is theoretically manned here by two all-stars?

Does it take a grassy knoll freak to wonder about Paul Pierce's knee?  There were several reports from "team sources" that he had indeed torn the cartilage which was why he refused to take an MRI during the playoffs. Could the interest in Maggette be linked to impending knee surgery on the captain?

Or, even more off the wall...I have another theory.....do you remember early to mid season reports that Ray Allen was not happy here? It wasn't about lack of shots in the offense or any on court situations, but word leaked out of the locker room that he really didn't like Kevin Garnette's demeanor and foul language or Paul Pierce's life style and would grin and bear it for the season, but had already asked to be traded once the campaign had been concluded.

I'll give you another wrinkle here; a writer who covers the Clippers has stated that L.A. has long coveted Ray and is it too much of a stretch to consider  that perhaps the confusion over the offer/non-offer to Maggette has to do with a possible sign and trade that is being contemplated? Think of a Clippers team with Elton Brand, Baron Davis and Ray Allen? Instant contenders?

If there is a sign and trade of course, there would have to be more than Maggette headed this way........is GM Elgin Baylor so p---ed at Chris Kaman for going to play in the Olympics for Germany, a country he's never even visited, that he'd include him in such a deal....perhaps taking back Leon Powe?

Add in the surprising move by first round draftee J.R. Giddens (who is represented by the  the same agency as Posey, by the way) to head home and miss the rookie and free agent camp, as noted by Mark Murphy in the Herald on July 3rd........

The issue, according to his agent, is complicated.

“There’s a lot of unusual circumstances with the Celtics and their salary structure, considering that they’re coming off the championship and things like that,” Mark Bartlestein said. “It’s really complicated. So much is going on, and they’re trying to figure out where they are with the luxury tax, things like that. So we’ll see how it goes.”

....and again in his column from this morning.....

Indeed, management’s deliberations are so complicated right now, impending rookie J.R. Giddens was advised to go home instead of participating in last week’s minicamp. The process of fitting his basic contract (a slotted $797,600 for the first year) into the overall Celtics scheme was too complex to complete right away.

So what is exactly going on here? Is it just the Celtics trying to emulate the Patriots and Red Sox? Those other local franchises let key players walk in the face of salary and length of contract issues and never looked back. Remember Adam Vinatieri,Lawyer Malloy, Pedro Martinez and Johny Damon?

Stay tuned....if nothing else it will be an entertaining summer.

If you want to participate in the show you can call our toll free number (1.866.751.9649), send us an e-mail to CSL@CelticsBlog.com, or join us in the “Pit” (the chat) during the broadcast.

We hope you will join us.

JB - "Yes Indeed!"

Re: Celtics Stuff Live! Tonight, from 8-10:00PM, EDT.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 10:15:40 AM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
TP for your update JB! :)

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 01:11:23 PM »

Offline JB_Celticsstuff

• Author
  • Brad Stevens
TP for your update JB! Smiley

Thanks....just remember that "grain of salt."  ::)
JB - "Yes Indeed!"

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 01:20:44 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
TP for your update JB! Smiley

Thanks....just remember that "grain of salt."  ::)
JB,do you know any recent news on Posey,and Pollard?

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 02:39:35 PM »

Offline JB_Celticsstuff

• Author
  • Brad Stevens
 I've heard nothing on Pollard. Posey's agent is doing plenty of talking though.....Cleveland has joined L.A. as serious suitor.
Here's some gossip from "Way Ray" on another message board...some interesting thoughts.

If not Posey or Maggette, then who? Well, if they stop being so miserly, they could go in a different direction and offer their Full MLE in a five year deal to:

Ben Gordon

Josh Childress

Mickael Pietrus

Carl Landry

Ben Gordon. Worth a shot. Ainge likes him. Would provide scoring off the bench or an eventual Ray Allen trade. Bulls might balk. Childress and Landry are intriguing too.
JB - "Yes Indeed!"

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 03:18:27 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
I've heard nothing on Pollard. Posey's agent is doing plenty of talking though.....Cleveland has joined L.A. as serious suitor.
Here's some gossip from "Way Ray" on another message board...some interesting thoughts.

If not Posey or Maggette, then who? Well, if they stop being so miserly, they could go in a different direction and offer their Full MLE in a five year deal to:

Ben Gordon

Josh Childress

Mickael Pietrus

Carl Landry

Ben Gordon. Worth a shot. Ainge likes him. Would provide scoring off the bench or an eventual Ray Allen trade. Bulls might balk. Childress and Landry are intriguing too.
I just finish reading our front(CB) page,not surprised with some of it,in reference to Ray Allen feelings,if its all true.I asked about Pollard,because as the front page stated,it seems DA has concentrated lately on 2 wing players.The team is in need of some BIGS,and just hadn't heard any recent talk about it.Its funny how one thing leads to another.A poster in another thread mentioned Scal,and i thought about the Big situation,and Pollard came to mind.What are we going to do in this situation?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 03:24:33 PM by jay_jay54 »

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 05:15:02 PM »

Offline CelticRob

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
Great job of covering everything JB. It seems like Danny won't make any free agent moves until he know if Posey is going to remain a Celtic or leave. I want Posey back but would be happy to get Magette if he left. My worst case scenario is not getting Posey or Magette but hopefully Danny gets at least one of them and then he can decide center and point guard to go after hard.

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 05:28:01 PM »

Offline JB_Celticsstuff

• Author
  • Brad Stevens
I had no faith in Pollard being healthy last season (he had only played in 24 games for the Pacers in 2006-07) and even less this one coming up.
Remember, ..... I lived through the years of "Out of Service" Pervis (Ellison), who, like Theo Ratliff, showed so much promise, but always was injured.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pervis_Ellison

An injury kept him on the sidelines for 48 of 82 games of his rookie year, after which he was traded to the Washington Bullets. (A Sacramento teammate, Danny Ainge, had nicknamed him "Out of Service Pervis.")

Assorted injuries plagued his career, including two knee problems that kept him benched for 29 games in 1992-1993 and 30 games in 1993-1994. As a free agent, Ellison signed with the Boston Celtics in 1994 but did not play until midway through the season because he was still rehabilitating from knee problems. A broken toe suffered while moving furniture kept him out of most games between 1996 and 1998. After participating in 69 out of a possible 246 games over the final three seasons with the Celtics, he joined the Seattle SuperSonics in 2000 but retired after playing nine games.
JB - "Yes Indeed!"

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 05:45:09 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
I had no faith in Pollard being healthy last season (he had only played in 24 games for the Pacers in 2006-07) and even less this one coming up.
Remember, ..... I lived through the years of "Out of Service" Pervis (Ellison), who, like Theo Ratliff, showed so much promise, but always was injured.

An injury kept him on the sidelines for 48 of 82 games of his rookie year, after which he was traded to the Washington Bullets. (A Sacramento teammate, Danny Ainge, had nicknamed him "Out of Service Pervis.")

Assorted injuries plagued his career, including two knee problems that kept him benched for 29 games in 1992-1993 and 30 games in 1993-1994. As a free agent, Ellison signed with the Boston Celtics in 1994 but did not play until midway through the season because he was still rehabilitating from knee problems. A broken toe suffered while moving furniture kept him out of most games between 1996 and 1998. After participating in 69 out of a possible 246 games over the final three seasons with the Celtics, he joined the Seattle SuperSonics in 2000 but retired after playing nine games.
Now you have sort of confirmed my thinking about Pollard all alone...feel he had no plans of playing a full season.So far,he has taken full advantages of the medical services in Boston and got himself a spot on Comcast.Pollard(imo) has used the Celtics organization bigtime,wonder if he had previous ties with someone(management) who help bring him  to Boston?I look at that wasted money,when we need it for someone who is able to play a full season,oh yea,he got himself a ring to go alone with it all.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 05:59:44 PM by jay_jay54 »

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 06:05:25 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

Now you have sort of confirmed my thinking about Pollard all alone...feel he had no plans of playing a full season.So far,he has taken full advantages of the medical services in Boston and got himself a spot on Comcast.Pollard(imo) has used the Celtics organization bigtime,wonder if he had previous ties with someone(management) who help bring him  to Boston?I look at that wasted money,when we need it for someone who is able to play a full season,oh yea,he got himself a ring to go alone with it all.

That's why i was in the Chat saying we should've waived him during the 4th Qtr of Game 6 of the finals. ;)

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 07:38:10 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
With regard to the Ray Allen to the Clippers for Kaman and Maggette speculation, we could do a lot worse. Then sign Josh Childress for the full midlevel (never happen, Hawks match that salary) and resign E House. Even minus Ray, Posey and Powe I think we are a better team if Giddens or Walker can play/contribute at all this year. :o

My only question is this: If Ray really wants out because of KG's potty mouth, does that mean KG coming here because of Ray is baloney? What about all the little ditties we read last summer about them working out together in Malibu at KG's place? Did KG 'not' curse then or what?

Something about these rumors is awfully fishy, aint it JB? 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 07:42:40 PM »

Offline JB_Celticsstuff

• Author
  • Brad Stevens
      This is all I could find on the Ray Allen being upset thing....and the link to the St Paul Press is dead, but Real GM quoted it so......

http://www.realgm.com/src_wire..._cursing/#

Ray Allen Unhappy With Garnett's Cursing?
    More Celtics News

Oct 17, 2007 12:16 PM EST

Word in Boston, according to Charley Walters, is that the Celtics' Ray Allen was taken aback by some profane language used by Kevin Garnett during a practice, and he let the former Timberwolves' star know about it.

Via St. Paul Pioneer Press

Any notion that Ray Allen did ask to be traded comes as pure speculation, but I did read it (or hear it) somewhere.
It was presented as an "off the wall" theory and at this point, it's just a figment of my imagination, as usual, trying to get 2 & 2 to equal 5, in the face of some incomplete and confusing information from the team regarding their interest in Maggette.

JB - "Yes Indeed!"

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 08:05:05 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
      This is all I could find on the Ray Allen being upset thing....and the link to the St Paul Press is dead, but Real GM quoted it so......

http://www.realgm.com/src_wire..._cursing/#

Ray Allen Unhappy With Garnett's Cursing?
    More Celtics News

Oct 17, 2007 12:16 PM EST

Word in Boston, according to Charley Walters, is that the Celtics' Ray Allen was taken aback by some profane language used by Kevin Garnett during a practice, and he let the former Timberwolves' star know about it.

Via St. Paul Pioneer Press

Any notion that Ray Allen did ask to be traded comes as pure speculation, but I did read it (or hear it) somewhere.
It was presented as an "off the wall" theory and at this point, it's just a figment of my imagination, as usual, trying to get 2 & 2 to equal 5, in the face of some incomplete and confusing information from the team regarding their interest in Maggette.

Thanks for digging JB, it just sounds like someone trying to mold together a scenario for us getting Maggette that will work on paper. I had seen the same data and came to the same conclusions you did I guess. No way dude, even if we wanted it to happen. 2+2 still doesnt equal 5. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 08:43:49 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
why do i have a weird feeling that this team could look drastically different next season?

i believe that james posey's decision will be the first shoe to drop...depending on where that goes, it could lead (should he leave) to numerous changes...

stay tuned, i suppose...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."