Author Topic: Chicago - Memphis Deal  (Read 5758 times)

Chicago - Memphis Deal
« on: July 05, 2008, 08:46:16 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
Last year, Chris Wallace went after Andres Nocioni pretty hard.  Chicago now is in a tough situation where they've stated they'd like to commit to both Gordon and Deng AND are trying to move Nocioni.

To Chicago: Antoine Walker's expiring contract and Kyle Lowry
To Memphis: Andres Nocioni and Cedric Simmons

Memphis gets the veteran SG/SF to work with the Gay/Mayo combination plus they get a young PF who has some potential in Simmons.

Chicago gets out of Nocioni's contract while getting a backup PG for Derek Rose.  There is already talk of a Al Harrington for Kirk Hinrich trade in the mix. 

Re: Chicago - Memphis Deal
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 08:52:05 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Chicago trading for another G? 

They need to move Hinrich, not Nocioni. 

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 08:55:53 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

I'm with wd.  This seems like the sort of move that at best needs to be tabled until the door has closed behind Hinrich on his way out.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 09:17:02 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Additionally, Memphis could have had Nocioni last season if they wanted, when they were shopping Gasol.  Memphis decided they preferred the expiring contracts, and I'm sure it's going to be the same thing this year.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 09:47:56 PM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man

I'm with wd.  This seems like the sort of move that at best needs to be tabled until the door has closed behind Hinrich on his way out.

-sw

My thoughts too, however I would rather move Larry Hughes as well, maybe then they can acquire another guard. As for Nocioni, somehow the Bulls don't really seem to want him around, I sure don't mind Noc on our team if Posey don't re-sign with us.
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 09:52:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I have heard and read rumors of an Al Harrington for Kirk Hinrich trade. I think moving Hinrich is the Bulls first priority and if the Bulls bring in Harrington by doing it, why on earth do they bring in Antoine, expiring contract or not, when they already have Thomas, Harrington, Gooden and Simmons.

Not the most likely of trades to ever have a chance of happening.

Also I see Thabo Sefolosha as being the more intelligent player to move as Deng and Noccioni make a very nice pair at the SF position.

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 09:57:58 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
Additionally, Memphis could have had Nocioni last season if they wanted, when they were shopping Gasol.  Memphis decided they preferred the expiring contracts, and I'm sure it's going to be the same thing this year.

Was Chicago pursuing Pao Gasol?

I do remember a very public courtship of Nocioni.   

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/jan/22/bulls-forward-one-that-got-away-from-griz/

I agree that Chicago needs to take care of Hinrich first if they can find a taker.

BTW, Walker is an expiring contract AND that would be the only reason he'd be included in this deal.

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 09:59:33 PM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
Also I see Thabo Sefolosha as being the more intelligent player to move as Deng and Noccioni make a very nice pair at the SF position.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the Bulls like to use Thabo as a guard? I think Thabo got some good point skills that allow him to play with Gordon(who's a 2) and on D, they switch roles, also Thabo plays as a 2 along Kirk (or Rose in this season).
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 10:07:48 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/jan/22/bulls-forward-one-that-got-away-from-griz/

Yes, Chicago made several offers for Gasol.  The most serious one was apparently Nocioni / Ty Thomas / Noah / Sefolosha / picks for Gasol and Hakeem Warrick, which Memphis turned down.

Link.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 10:24:48 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

Yes, Chicago made several offers for Gasol.  The most serious one was apparently Nocioni / Ty Thomas / Noah / Sefolosha / picks for Gasol and Hakeem Warrick, which Memphis turned down.

Link.

Indeed, some might remember this as the official moment when Bill Simmons jumped the shark so far as "being right" is concerned: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070223

The Hicag-Memphis stuff is at the heart of it.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 10:40:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Hakeem Warrick. That is the guy that on draft night 2005 I was hoping would drop to Boston. He does, Danny got stupid and the legend of Gerald Green in Boston Celtic lore is born. Memphis then grabs him just after we pick and now Green is on his fourth team in four years and Warrick is a pretty consistent 12pt/5reb contributor with a nice open court game, good field goal% and the physical tools to perhaps be taught to be a good defender.

Can you imagine turning down that deal though? Instead of having Tyrus Thomas, Andrei Nocioni, Joakim Noah, and Thabo Sefolosha and a pick that could well have been derrick Rose or Michael Beasley if it was last year's #1 for Gasol and Warrick, the  Grizzless now  still have Warrick and also have Jarvis Crittendon, Pau Gasol's little, less talented brother, Darrell Arthur and a late 1st round pick next year and no Pau Gasol.

"Salary-dumping-to-attract-more-franchise-buyers" type management sure does not make any sometimes.

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 11:54:00 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
Thank god for Wyc.

I can't honestly believe that any GM with a choice between those two deals would have made that choice.