Author Topic: Why aren't the Celtics talking to.....?  (Read 13804 times)

Why aren't the Celtics talking to.....?
« on: July 05, 2008, 07:44:52 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
1. Eduardo Najera-- Best Posey replacement out there.

2. Francisco Elson, DJ Mbenga, Earl Barron and Primoz Brezec.  Four perfectly adequate, inexpensive backup centers.  Barron playeed very well for the Heat when given the opportunity, and he would be my first choice.  All of these guys are way better than Randolph Morris.

3. Damon Stoudamire, Jannero Pargo, Kevin Ollie and Sebastian Telfair.  All would be adequate backup point guards.

4.Salim Stoudamire and Juan Dixon.  House replacements if they can't resign Eddie.

I would also consider Bostjan Nachbar-- can flat out shoot.

Now it may be that Danny knows that none of these guys would be interested in the Celtics or are asking for too much money, but I have not seen anything reported that would take these guys off my list.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 08:50:24 PM by wdleehi »

Re: Why aren't the Celtics talking to.....?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 08:03:47 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178

2. Francisco Elson, DJ Mbenga, Earl Barron and Primoz Brezec.  Four perfectly adequate, inexpensive backup centers.  Barron playeed very well for the Heat when given the opportunity, and he would be my first choice.  All of these guys are way better than Randolph Morris.

3. Damon Stoudamire, Jannero Pargo, Kevin Ollie and Sebastian Telfair.  All would be adequate backup point guards.

4.Salim Stoudamire and Juan Dixon.  House replacements if they can't resign Eddie.

Now it may be that Danny knows that none of these guys would be interested in the Celtics or are asking for too much money, but I have not seen anything reported that would take these guys off my list.

I would add Walter Hermann to the Bostjan Nachbar line, both can shoot and both play hard on the floor. Both are bench scoring weapons that would be nice. Jannero Pargo is my personal favorite of the affordable FA PG group. What ever happened to Jackie Butler? He dropped off the FA camp invite/attendee list rather quickly.

Najera is a guy I have long coveted for our bench. I agree with all of your picks if cheap, but I also have no problem going after Maggette. He isnt quite as good defensively, but is better offensively. We needed offense off the bench a few times last year that he will provide. He is an acceptable replacement for Posey (IMO) if we must lose him.

I gotta wonder if something is going on with Posey that isnt making the papers as to why we cant sign him? Is he playing games or is Danny trying to get him cheap? Seems like he and Danny would want to get this thing done now, if at all. Delaying hurts us all around and keeps us from signing other people for fear of losing out on Posey IMO. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 08:18:57 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
The first question is, how do you know Danny hasn't?  Just because a newspaper hasn't reported it doesn't mean Danny hasn't reached out to any of these guys.

As billysan alluded to, a lot of those names are only palatable on a minimum contract.  There aren't a lot of difference makers on that list.  I'd be on board with Najera, but I don't see him as a Posey replacement.  He isn't a good enough man-to-man defender, and he struggles against both large power forwards and most small forwards.  He's also 31, so he's not a long-term option.

Again, I'd have no problem with bringing some of those guys in for looks, and it wouldn't surprise me if Danny (or someone else in the front office) has already opened the lines of communication with at least a couple of those guys.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 09:40:37 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Danny didn't want Damon Stoudamire when he was released last year and wanted to come here. Why would he look at him now?

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 10:04:02 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
The words "Sebastian", "Bassy" and "Telfair" are officially prohibited in the city of Boston.

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 10:19:11 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
My guess about Posey is that Danny and Posey's agent have agreed to see what Posey can get from the other teams, then come back to Danny to negotiate.

As far as some of the vets available, I'm sure Danny only wants to pay most of them the minimum and realizes they have to go through the process of getting little to no offers before they realize about the best they'll get is from the C's.  Then...., they'll want to play for a winner.

I'm anxious to find out what Magette will do.  Great move by Danny to go after him.  Really caught me bu surprise.

I hope we get Posey back but we have to realize that House and Posey really came here originally for 1 thing - a chance to play for a bigger better contract this year.  Would I pay Posey $5.8M for the next 4-5 years?  I really don't know.  I know he helped a lot this year and I like him a lot but...................he's 31 right now.......

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 10:20:31 AM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
Good post,

I think we have to assume that Danny has privately either talked with these guys, will be talking with them or done the proper due diligence that leads him in a different direction. 

Remember, Danny is the guy who approached Reggie Miller, one can say a lot of things about him, but he has shown the willingness to look at the players others have not.
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 10:37:52 AM »

Offline tb727

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
What about Matt Barnes?  He should at least be with Najera if not above him, in my opinion.
Jay Wingspan Bilas

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 10:52:20 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923

Najera is nowhere near the same caliber of player as Posey. He's a small pf/hustle guy. Not worth looking at. He's no even the homeless man's James Posey.

I like Elson and agree with you that all four guys are better than Morris.

Telfair isn't that good. Hence no call. Stoudamire appeared done in SA. Again no reason to call. Pargo would be a nice pick-up but due to his play-off success is likely out of our price range right now.

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 11:00:14 AM »

Offline Last Train

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
Probably because half those guys are worthless.

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 11:36:11 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
The words "Sebastian", "Bassy" and "Telfair" are officially prohibited in the city of Boston.

Yup.
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 11:45:42 AM »

Offline houlana

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 21
would deffinitly like the celts to take a look at najara, Nachbar, elson. pargo would be my favorite, but i feel he would ask for a lot of money.

would say no to both staudemires on the list, telfair, and brezeck (sorry for spelling).

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 11:47:24 AM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
Danny didn't want Damon Stoudamire when he was released last year and wanted to come here. Why would he look at him now?

He knew he was getting Cassell?

With regards to Najera.  We have an effective backup PF in Powe.

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2008, 12:42:40 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason

He knew he was getting Cassell?

With regards to Najera.  We have an effective backup PF in Powe.

Najera is a 3/4 and he's a lot better than Powe to a lot of people.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2008, 12:51:35 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Rod Benson!

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner