Author Topic: This team would win 72 games  (Read 9358 times)

Re: This team would win 72 games
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2008, 08:11:13 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Please don't forget about something called team chemistry. That team you constructed would not be ubuntu. There would be serious playing time arguments. While I liked the signing of PJ, signing Brown and Cassell did mess up our rotations and I believe contributed to our slippage in the first two rounds. Once we went back to our original rotation with PJ essentially taking BBD's minutes we went back to being a giant. Cassell,Lue, and House all trying to play backup pg minutes? Bad news. There are not enough backup wing minutes for Magette, Posey, and Tony Allen. So many problems with that roster.

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2008, 02:16:51 AM »

Offline hankfinkel

• Author
  • Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 36

Giddens is probably being encouraged to go to europe where he can make more money and chill while we try to win a championship this year.  That may help explain why he left camp because he didn't have a contract.

Giddens can make more money in Europe as a rent a player than the 2 years guaranteed from the NBA as the 30th pick?  Sorry, not a chance.  Giddens is 23 and will not want to give up a year that gets him closer to his next contract as well (should he end up a decent NBA player).  No domestic NBA first round pick has ever opted for Europe instead of the NBA, it would be crazy on their part. Ainge knows all of this, and there is no way anyone thinks Giddens goes to Europe this year.  Giddens either plays with the Cs this year or some other NBA team (or in the D league as some team's property).

Not that it matters, but Danny Ferry chose Europe...

True.  Ferry's situation was before draft picks had slotted salaries (which meant the player actually had leverage, McHale threatened Italy also I believe) and he was trying to get out of playing for the Clippers (which he did).  But in the era of where first round draft picks have set value, there is little incentive for a domestic player to go to Europe (and not much of an incentive for the European team to take a player on loan).

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2008, 02:43:09 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Take away love and the earth is a tomb. ~ Browning
If I remember correctly, the Celtics #1 draft pick Brian Shaw went to Europe.  There may have been others.  The fact is the EURO is worth alot more than the dollar.  There is quite a differential and the trend is for it to continue to widen.
Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.