Author Topic: This team would win 72 games  (Read 9415 times)

Re: This team would win 72 games
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 10:33:49 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Roy knows better, but I think that roster could be put together within reasonable premises:

Posey - 5 years NBE
House - 2 years NBE
Maggette - full MLE
Lue - LLE
Harrison, Cassell, Randolph - Minimum

Unfortunately, the chances of:

- all these players accepting the mentioned deals
and
- Ainge being able to operate without any kind of budgetary restrictions

are zero.

Anyway, getting a draft pick for Scal is even more unrealistic.

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 10:54:33 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Take away love and the earth is a tomb. ~ Browning
Roy knows better, but I think that roster could be put together within reasonable premises:

Posey - 5 years NBE
House - 2 years NBE
Maggette - full MLE
Lue - LLE
Harrison, Cassell, Randolph - Minimum

Unfortunately, the chances of:

- all these players accepting the mentioned deals
and
- Ainge being able to operate without any kind of budgetary restrictions

are zero.

Anyway, getting a draft pick for Scal is even more unrealistic.

Scal for a late second rounder?  If not, just cut him. 
Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2008, 11:48:29 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
wel if you want to be a little more realistic, this team would win 72-75 too if it was reasonably healthy:

Perk, Anderson
KG, Powe, Baby, Scal
PP, Posey, Maggette, Rookie
Ray, House, Rookie
Rajon, Pruitt

Pose has to sign for what he won't sign for, say a SIX year 24-27 mill guaranteed contract. Yeah that is creative. But if that allows Corey at 3 year mle, and you have a metting between those two and KG, PP and Ray maybe they will all get that we are going for 3 -4 titles in a row.

How we resign Perk and Rajon later on I have no idea.

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2008, 10:22:29 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
To many guys that need major minutes at SG/SF.  The 1st round pick is not going to Europe. 

To many little guys.  4 PG sized players. 

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2008, 11:33:49 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
This team could win 82 games:

PG - Steve Nash, Tony Parker, Deron Williams
SG - Kobe Bryant, Ray Allen, Michael Redd
SF - Lebron James, PP,
PF - KG, Tim Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki
C - Dwight Howard, Amare Stoudemire, Shaq

It would cost a lot of money, and would be hard to put together...

Please people. Be serious. That lineup mentioned has absolutely no way of happening any more than this one above. Of course it would win 72 games, but you can't sign all those people...

I am serious.  I hope you are not.  We want to be the world champions, it will cost money.  It could be done without having the highest pay roll in the league.  If you can win the championship without having the highest payroll in the league, that would be an accomplishment.

Ummmm....aren't we already the world champions and didn't we just win without the highest payroll in the league?  I believe we already achieved that accomplishment.
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2008, 11:43:50 AM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437

SF - Lebron James, PP,

Please people. Be serious. That lineup mentioned has absolutely no way of happening any more than this one above. Of course it would win 72 games, but you can't sign all those people...

I am serious.  I hope you are not.  We want to be the world champions, it will cost money.  It could be done without having the highest pay roll in the league.  If you can win the championship without having the highest payroll in the league, that would be an accomplishment.

Ummmm....aren't we already the world champions and didn't we just win without the highest payroll in the league?  I believe we already achieved that accomplishment.

I don't consider that an accomplishment considering the Knicks are around.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2008, 11:57:01 AM »

Offline Frontierboy

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Not Zack.  Morris, the guy the Celtics are looking at now.  Morris would be a cheap 3rd string C.  See I am frugal.

Haha, you said Zack Morris....... its all right cause I'm saved by the bell!!!!!!!

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2008, 12:11:30 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown

SF - Lebron James, PP,

Yes we did win a championship last year with the 7th highest payroll in the league.  But this year coming up we will have a tougher time doing it without our payroll expanding.

Giddens is probably being encouraged to go to europe where he can make more money and chill while we try to win a championship this year.  That may help explain why he left camp because he didn't have a contract.

There would be a struggle for minutes with all that proposed talent.  It would be a good problem to have.  It is better than wondering who you can count on to produce during the minutes.  That's the coach's job. 

I don't know what is practical or possible.  But if there is money to spend, it shouldn't take too much mental power to figure out how to put a roster together with what we already have. 

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."
Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2008, 12:21:28 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Yes we did win a championship last year with the 7th highest payroll in the league.  But this year coming up we will have a tougher time doing it without our payroll expanding.

Why is this true? The team has a full year of playing together under it's belt, all of our starters have championship experience, and Rondo and the other young guys will all be improved. What makes it tougher next year? If anything it should be easier.

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2008, 01:01:12 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

SF - Lebron James, PP,

Giddens is probably being encouraged to go to europe where he can make more money and chill while we try to win a championship this year.  That may help explain why he left camp because he didn't have a contract.

There would be a struggle for minutes with all that proposed talent.  It would be a good problem to have.  It is better than wondering who you can count on to produce during the minutes.  That's the coach's job. 

I don't know what is practical or possible.  But if there is money to spend, it shouldn't take too much mental power to figure out how to put a roster together with what we already have. 

I am glad you are a dreamer and looking for ways to improve the team, but they have to have a speck of realism in them. If they aren't possible, then why is your list any better than mine?! They both can never happen so let's whittle out a few of those guys and have a real discussion, because I think a few of those names have merit.

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2008, 04:37:18 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown

Why is this true? The team has a full year of playing together under it's belt, all of our starters have championship experience, and Rondo and the other young guys will all be improved. What makes it tougher next year? If anything it should be easier.

I think because Posey, PJ, House and Cassell came cheap, it will cost more for them to come back or to acquire equivalent services from someone else.  The free agent class may have been better last year in terms of cheap quality help.  Quite a bit of our bench is gone or are in danger of being gone.  Further, I think our competitors will be better so we need to go beyond that. We have a clear need to get bigger and that costs more than little people.  And if we want more of a margin of safety than that, it will keep costing progressively more money. 

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2008, 04:43:31 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown

SF - Lebron James, PP,

I am glad you are a dreamer and looking for ways to improve the team, but they have to have a speck of realism in them. If they aren't possible, then why is your list any better than mine?! They both can never happen so let's whittle out a few of those guys and have a real discussion, because I think a few of those names have merit.

Well, if we didn't get Maggette, T. Allen or House on the list, it wouldn't be devastating.  Same is true for Morris.  However, we really  need a couple of bigs.  What are your ideas, sir?

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2008, 06:38:45 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

SF - Lebron James, PP,

Well, if we didn't get Maggette, T. Allen or House on the list, it wouldn't be devastating.  Same is true for Morris.  However, we really  need a couple of bigs.  What are your ideas, sir?

I agree completely that we need to focus more on the bigs than we do the wings. Wings are much easier to find. I'd think we were smarter to make a run at a big like a Harrison. He is restricted however so we may not be able to sign him away from the Pacers without overpaying. Especially now that they let O'neal go. They won't let him walk. I think we are better to look at a player like Magloire who is unrestricted and has shown flashes while being truly big. Everyone needs to focus on what happened to us in the playoffs when Perk when out. We were in trouble. If he gets injured again we will have a tough time. We can make do without a Posey or a Magette if we had to.

What about a player like Dwayne Jones? Big guy. We know what we would have in him as he was here for a stretch. Not offensive, but a decent rebounder and shot blocker. Should sign for the minimum. Maybe O'Bryant from GS that I mentioned a few days ago and that appears to have worked out for us this week.

If we fill our backup center need then any decent signing at the backup 1 and 3 is great.

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2008, 06:53:34 PM »

Offline hankfinkel

• Author
  • Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 36

Giddens can make more money in Europe as a rent a player than the 2 years guaranteed from the NBA as the 30th pick?  Sorry, not a chance.  Giddens is 23 and will not want to give up a year that gets him closer to his next contract as well (should he end up a decent NBA player).  No domestic NBA first round pick has ever opted for Europe instead of the NBA, it would be crazy on their part. Ainge knows all of this, and there is no way anyone thinks Giddens goes to Europe this year.  Giddens either plays with the Cs this year or some other NBA team (or in the D league as some team's property).

Most of the first round picks are not signed yet, Giddens situation is not unusual.  More likely the Cs have a little more flexibility in trade scenarios by not having him signed yet, but when those possibilities are exhausted, and Giddens is not moved, he'll be signed with his two guaranteed years intact.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 07:21:17 PM by hankfinkel »

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2008, 07:51:05 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Giddens can make more money in Europe as a rent a player than the 2 years guaranteed from the NBA as the 30th pick?  Sorry, not a chance.  Giddens is 23 and will not want to give up a year that gets him closer to his next contract as well (should he end up a decent NBA player).  No domestic NBA first round pick has ever opted for Europe instead of the NBA, it would be crazy on their part. Ainge knows all of this, and there is no way anyone thinks Giddens goes to Europe this year.  Giddens either plays with the Cs this year or some other NBA team (or in the D league as some team's property).

Not that it matters, but Danny Ferry chose Europe...