Author Topic: Minicamp ends a day early...  (Read 3389 times)

Minicamp ends a day early...
« on: July 04, 2008, 06:59:41 PM »

Offline celticsfan34

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 32
Just a quick holiday post to note that Celtics mini-camp ended today instead of tomorrow as scheduled. With no summer league to train for, and no rookies in camp who figure to make the team, perhaps it was decided that three days was enough to see what they had to see.

J.R. Giddens never did make it back up to Boston after optiing - on the advice of his agents, according to Danny Ainge - to head home without a signed contract following Tuesday’s introductory press conference.

In contrast, second-round draft pick Bill Walker did attend the last two days of the workout to watch, according to the team, after undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery on Wednesday.

It is unlikely there will be too many free agent updates during the holiday weekend (at least through tomorrow) but we’ll check back if we hear anything.

Per Scott Souza's "Courtside View" blog

Re: Minicamp ends a day early...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 12:04:16 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
hmmm walker watching the minicamp? sounds like this guy has the right attitude

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 12:58:44 AM »

Offline Spraypaint Victory

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
Looks like they must have been pleased with how Big Baby and Gabe looked.

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 02:51:26 AM »

Offline BirdNerd

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 17
Check out Bill Walker's interview with Dickerson on Comcast.   Guy really is sharp and mature with a good sense of humor.   Rooting for him.

Are we obligated to pay JR Giddens even if he doesn't make the team?

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 01:10:52 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
yea it seems that walker is a much better prospect than giddens. and i think ending the camp early was the right call. we need vet backup, and i don't see really anyone at the camp that would help fill that void.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 01:45:18 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
yea it seems that walker is a much better prospect than giddens.

Just because Walker watched the work out and Giddens hasn't been signed yet by Danny Ainge, makes Walker the better prospect?

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 01:50:37 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Check out Bill Walker's interview with Dickerson on Comcast.   Guy really is sharp and mature with a good sense of humor.   Rooting for him.

1st rounders are guaranteed contracts.  Even if they're cut, they're paid.  2-year minimum if I recall correctly.  (can be up to 3 I think but has to be 2 minimum)-->just like Scal if he was cut now.  If Giddens went overseas, that's a different issue but I'd much rather see him on the team.  No time like the present to see what he can do this coming year.

Walker is a different story.  no financial obligations unless he's signed.

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 02:51:13 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

1st rounders are guaranteed contracts.  Even if they're cut, they're paid. 

If they're cut, yes.  If the team never signs them, there's no salary obligation, though.  The player would count on the team's salary cap, though, unless the team renounced the pick (like Chicago did when they drafted Travis Knight in the first round.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 03:26:47 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245

1st rounders are guaranteed contracts.  Even if they're cut, they're paid. 

If they're cut, yes.  If the team never signs them, there's no salary obligation, though.  The player would count on the team's salary cap, though, unless the team renounced the pick (like Chicago did when they drafted Travis Knight in the first round.)

I'm not sure the C's know what to do with Giddens. I think if given the choice they would have traded the #30 pick for a pick in the second round and taken Giddens or Walker there, but Doc mentioned there really wasn't any market for the pick  it's possible they tried to sell the pick for cash and had no takers. Ideally I believe they want Giddens in Europe or to trade his rights at some point.

I don't care about what anyone says, but I think it was poor on Giddens's (and/or his agent's)part for him not to at least watch the mini camp. I know people want to belive that he's turned the corner and will be a model citizen from this day onward, but that's often not what happens.  We'll see what happens, but don't be surprised if Walker ends up wearing Celtics green and Giddens doesn't.