Author Topic: Magette and Posey: Theory on the standstill  (Read 10200 times)

Re: Magette and Posey: Theory on the standstill
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2008, 04:27:39 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I know that the league forbids "wink wink" hangshake deals.  This is what got Minni in trouble with Joe Smith.   But if I'm Boston talking to Posey's agent I at least explain this scenario as a "possibility" as long as Posey continues to play at a high level and demand good contracts.

Posey could sign with another team for the MLE.  There would be an 8% increase in each year of the deal.    So roughly this:

Year 1: 5.8 mil
Year 2: 6.2 mil
Year 3: 6.7 mil
Year 4: 7.2 mil
Year 5: 7.7 mil

That leaves these possible contracts:

2 years 12 million
3 years 18.7 million
4 years 25.9 million
5 years 33.6 million

Posey and his agent are demanding a 4 or 5 year deal.

Seems reasonable.

But if we let him know that if he signs with us at 3 years 12 million he can have a player option after the first year... then he can get a 80% increase of 6.8 million.  I see nothing illegal about explaining this to him.  In fact, his agent should be bringing up the possibility.  It's all within the rules and all common sense.  One more year and we have "early bird rights".  3 years 12 million is just to provide him financial security.  But let him opt out after year 1 and get 6.8 million from us.  

Year 1:  3.8 million
Year 2:  6.8 million

So yes... he could make 12 million over his first two years by signing a MLE contract, but by going this route he would have made 10.6 million over the first two years.   Yes, it's a pay cut...  It's actually 1.4 million less.  But the big difference is that after those two years he will have been a Boston Celtic for 3 seasons and we will have his full Bird rights.   He then can get a killing.  He could get a contract starting at 8-10 million.  I mean... at that point he could literally get a max contract.  But lets say for some reason we just gave him 8 million a year after those 3 years

Lets say after those 2 years he signed for 3 more years at 8 million a year... even then:

Year 3:  8 million
Year 4:  8 million
Year 5:  8 million

3 years:  18.6 million
4 years: 26.6 million
5 years: 34.6 million

He'd actually be making MORE from Boston ;) ...   Now do I think Posey would actually take this risk and hope that in 2 years he could command a deal starting at 8 million?  No way... not happening.  He'll go for the financial security.  But if Posey and his agent are so confident that they deserve 5 years 33.6 million right now using the MLE I don't see why they wouldn't have confidence that he could play his way to a contract in Boston making 5 years 34.6 million+.  :-P   This is where it's a longshot.  But if Posey is happy here and thinks he can stay a contributor ... maybe he decides to take the risk and play with his boys.... hoping that he gets rewarded at the end.  

Basically If I'm a sleezy GM I tell him, "pssss...  sure you can get 5 years 33.6 million from the Lakers... but I'll find a way to get you 5 years 40 million if you just stick with us and let us use the MLE to bring in some help.  UBUNTU BABY!  DO it for the good of the team, Posey!" (which again is the kind of thing that got McHale in trouble with Joe Smith... but still)

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2008, 04:30:13 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I know that the league forbids "wink wink" hangshake deals.  This is what got Minni in trouble with Joe Smith.   But if I'm Boston talking to Posey's agent I at least explain this scenario as a "possibility" as long as Posey continues to play at a high level and demand good contracts.

Posey could sign with another team for the MLE.  There would be an 8% increase in each year of the deal.    So roughly this:

2 years 12 million
3 years 18.7 million
4 years 25.9 million
5 years 33.6 million

Seems reasonable.

But if he let him know that if he signs with us at 3 years 12 million he can have a player option after the first year... then he can get a 80% increase of 6.8 million.  

So yes... he could make 12 million over his first two years by signing a MLE contract, but by going this route he would have made 10.6 million over the first two years.   Yes, it's a pay cut...  It's actually 1.4 million less.  But the big difference is that after those two years he will have been a Boston Celtic for 3 seasons and we will have his full Bird rights.   He then can get a killing.  He could get a contract starting at 8-10 million.  I mean... at that point he could literally get a max contract.  But lets say for some reason we just gave him 8 million a year after those 3 years

Lets say after those 2 years he signed for 3 more years at 8 million a year... even then:

He'd actually be making MORE from Boston ;) ...   Now do I think Posey would actually take this risk and hope that in 2 years he could command a deal starting at 8 million?  No way... not happening.  He'll go for the financial security.  But if Posey and his agent are so confident that they deserve 5 years 33.6 million right now using the MLE I don't see why they wouldn't have confidence that he could play his way to a contract in Boston making 5 years 34.6 million+.  :-P   This is where it's a longshot.  But if Posey is happy here and thinks he can stay a contributor ... maybe he decides to take the risk and play with his boys.... hoping that he gets rewarded at the end.  

Basically If I'm a sleezy GM I tell him, "pssss...  sure you can get 5 years 33.6 million from the Lakers... but I'll find a way to get you 5 years 40 million if you just stick with us"

he is not worth the loss of draft pick if the NBA finds out.

And I don't think the Celtics want him past three years. 

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2008, 04:32:26 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I know that the league forbids "wink wink" hangshake deals.  This is what got Minni in trouble with Joe Smith.   But if I'm Boston talking to Posey's agent I at least explain this scenario as a "possibility" as long as Posey continues to play at a high level and demand good contracts.

Posey could sign with another team for the MLE.  There would be an 8% increase in each year of the deal.    So roughly this:

2 years 12 million
3 years 18.7 million
4 years 25.9 million
5 years 33.6 million

Seems reasonable.

But if he let him know that if he signs with us at 3 years 12 million he can have a player option after the first year... then he can get a 80% increase of 6.8 million. 

Year 1:  3.8 million
Year 2:  6.8 million

So yes... he could make 12 million over his first two years by signing a MLE contract, but by going this route he would have made 10.6 million over the first two years.   Yes, it's a pay cut...  It's actually 1.4 million less.  But the big difference is that after those two years he will have been a Boston Celtic for 3 seasons and we will have his full Bird rights.   He then can get a killing.  He could get a contract starting at 8-10 million.  I mean... at that point he could literally get a max contract.  But lets say for some reason we just gave him 8 million a year after those 3 years

Year 3:  8 million
Year 4:  8 million
Year 5:  8 million

3 years:  18.6 million

He'd actually be making MORE from Boston ;) ...   Now do I think Posey would actually take this risk and hope that in 2 years he could command a deal starting at 8 million?  No way... not happening.  He'll go for the financial security.  But if Posey and his agent are so confident that they deserve 5 years 33.6 million right now using the MLE I don't see why they wouldn't have confidence that he could play his way to a contract in Boston making 5 years 34.6 million+.  :-P   This is where it's a longshot.  But if Posey is happy here and thinks he can stay a contributor ... maybe he decides to take the risk and play with his boys.... hoping that he gets rewarded at the end. 

Basically If I'm a sleezy GM I tell him, "pssss...  sure you can get 5 years 33.6 million from the Lakers... but I'll find a way to get you 5 years 40 million if you just stick with us and let us use the MLE to bring in some help.  UBUNTU BABY!  DO it for the good of the team, Posey!" (which again is the kind of thing that got McHale in trouble with Joe Smith... but still)

Haha. Yeah man that is kind of a stretch but maybe we get Doc and Pierce to say it with great big "come onnnn" grins. Who could say no to that? Michelle Tafoya can barely keep her composure during the end of the quarter interviews ;)

Im kidding shes a total pro.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2008, 04:33:38 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
UBUNTU BABY!  DO it for the good of the team, Posey!" (which again is the kind of thing that got McHale in trouble with Joe Smith... but still)

This was funny!

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2008, 04:35:52 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

2 years 12 million
3 years 18.7 million
4 years 25.9 million
5 years 33.6 million

Seems reasonable.

Basically If I'm a sleezy GM I tell him, "pssss...  sure you can get 5 years 33.6 million from the Lakers... but I'll find a way to get you 5 years 40 million if you just stick with us"

Ah yes.  I say this in a jokey way, but realistically it's not like anything illegal could be happening.  Posey's agent should be well aware of these scenarios.  It's not like it's a secret.  2 years and you get early bird rights.  3 years and you get full bird rights.   His agent would be doing him a disservice if he didn't bring this up to him.   Celtics want him for 3 years, right?  Fine.   If Posey trusts that the Celtics want him for 3 years and that KG, Ray, Pierce, etc want him here for 3 years... what's sketchy about this?  YOu give him 3 years 12 million with a player option after his first year.   Then he asks for his early bird rights and gets 6.8 million.   Then after that we have full bird rights and can give him whatever the heck he wants.  

year 1: 3.8
year 2: 6.8
year 3: 8?  9?  10?  11?  Who knows... that's up to Posey to decide.

And even if the Celtics only want him for 3 years, once we have his bird rights he can easily be used in a sign and trade.   After those first two years we can give him a big fatty contract and send him to a team that needs him.  It provides him with options and his agent would be negligent not to explain those options to him.

If he wants to play in Boston and be perceived as "taking a pay cut", he might as well do it.

It's a balance of money vs team.  Does Posey trust that this Celtic unit is a family and he belongs here?  Doesn't he want to see us upgrade Tony Allen to Corey Maggette for the good of the team?   Ubuntu baby.  Seriously.   Doesn't he want his team to get a backup bigman who is over 6 feet 6?  Then take your 3.8 million this year and take your 6.8 million the year after that and take your bird rights in 3 years.   We want you here Posey.   Do you want to be here?

In two years when we have his full Bird rights he'll only be 33 years old and he'll have played for 4 championship teams.  1 in Miami and 3 in Boston.  ;)  Then he can probably command 50 million on the open market or get a big healthy reward from the Celtics for being such a trooper.  Lol

Give these figures to KG and have him explain it to Posey directly.   Maybe if things don't work out, KG can buy him a mansion or small country or something.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 04:43:45 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2008, 04:39:50 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
One thing SA has that there is no way Boston can match:

No state income tax.

I've always felt that Florida and Texas had a hidden advantage over other states when it came to free agency.  Not that it has always been taken advantage of by franchises in professional sports in those states.....but when you are making the MLE, the lack of a state income tax might be more enticing than performing in a state where there is one.

Throw in cost of living adjustment as well, which makes it much more pronounced.

Not to mention that he'd probably be the #2 or #3 scoring option in San Antonio and knows a ton of the players he'd be going against. 

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2008, 04:41:05 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I know that the league forbids "wink wink" hangshake deals.  This is what got Minni in trouble with Joe Smith.   But if I'm Boston talking to Posey's agent I at least explain this scenario as a "possibility" as long as Posey continues to play at a high level and demand good contracts.

Posey could sign with another team for the MLE.  There would be an 8% increase in each year of the deal.    So roughly this:

2 years 12 million
3 years 18.7 million
4 years 25.9 million
5 years 33.6 million

Seems reasonable.

So yes... he could make 12 million over his first two years by signing a MLE contract, but by going this route he would have made 10.6 million over the first two years.   Yes, it's a pay cut...  It's actually 1.4 million less.  But the big difference is that after those two years he will have been a Boston Celtic for 3 seasons and we will have his full Bird rights.   He then can get a killing.  He could get a contract starting at 8-10 million.  I mean... at that point he could literally get a max contract.  But lets say for some reason we just gave him 8 million a year after those 3 years

He'd actually be making MORE from Boston ;) ...   Now do I think Posey would actually take this risk and hope that in 2 years he could command a deal starting at 8 million?  No way... not happening.  He'll go for the financial security.  But if Posey and his agent are so confident that they deserve 5 years 33.6 million right now using the MLE I don't see why they wouldn't have confidence that he could play his way to a contract in Boston making 5 years 34.6 million+.  :-P   This is where it's a longshot.  But if Posey is happy here and thinks he can stay a contributor ... maybe he decides to take the risk and play with his boys.... hoping that he gets rewarded at the end. 

Basically If I'm a sleezy GM I tell him, "pssss...  sure you can get 5 years 33.6 million from the Lakers... but I'll find a way to get you 5 years 40 million if you just stick with us"

Ah yes.  I say this in a jokey way, but realistically it's not like anything illegal could be happening.  Posey's agent should be well aware of these scenarios.  It's not like it's a secret.  2 years and you get early bird rights.  3 years and you get full bird rights.   His agent would be doing him a disservice if he didn't bring this up to him.   Celtics want him for 3 years, right?  Fine.   If Posey trusts that the Celtics want him for 3 years and that KG, Ray, Pierce, etc want him here for 3 years... what's sketchy about this?  YOu give him 3 years 12 million with a player option after his first year.   Then he asks for his early bird rights and gets 6.8 million.   Then after that we have full bird rights and can give him whatever the heck he wants.   

year 3: 8?  9?  10?  11?  Who knows... that's up to Posey to decide.

And even if the Celtics only want him for 3 years, once we have his bird rights he can easily be used in a sign and trade.   After those first two years we can give him a big fatty contract and send him to a team that needs him.  It provides him with options and his agent would be negligent not to explain those options to him.

If he wants to play in Boston and be perceived as "taking a pay cut", he might as well do it.

It's a balance of money vs team.  Does Posey trust that this Celtic unit is a family and he belongs here?  Doesn't he want to see us upgrade Tony Allen to Corey Maggette for the good of the team?   Ubuntu baby.  Seriously.   Doesn't he want his team to get a backup bigman who is over 6 feet 6?  Then take your 3.8 million this year and take your 6.8 million the year after that and take your bird rights in 3 years.   We want you here Posey.   Do you want to be here?

Yeah, but I don't even think Posey thinks he's going to be worth 8 million per when he's 36. He's not worth 8 million per now.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2008, 04:51:50 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

2 years 12 million
3 years 18.7 million
4 years 25.9 million
5 years 33.6 million

Seems reasonable.

Basically If I'm a sleezy GM I tell him, "pssss...  sure you can get 5 years 33.6 million from the Lakers... but I'll find a way to get you 5 years 40 million if you just stick with us"

Ah yes.  I say this in a jokey way, but realistically it's not like anything illegal could be happening.  Posey's agent should be well aware of these scenarios.  It's not like it's a secret.  2 years and you get early bird rights.  3 years and you get full bird rights.   His agent would be doing him a disservice if he didn't bring this up to him.   Celtics want him for 3 years, right?  Fine.   If Posey trusts that the Celtics want him for 3 years and that KG, Ray, Pierce, etc want him here for 3 years... what's sketchy about this?  YOu give him 3 years 12 million with a player option after his first year.   Then he asks for his early bird rights and gets 6.8 million.   Then after that we have full bird rights and can give him whatever the heck he wants.   

year 3: 8?  9?  10?  11?  Who knows... that's up to Posey to decide.

And even if the Celtics only want him for 3 years, once we have his bird rights he can easily be used in a sign and trade.   After those first two years we can give him a big fatty contract and send him to a team that needs him.  It provides him with options and his agent would be negligent not to explain those options to him.

It's a balance of money vs team.  Does Posey trust that this Celtic unit is a family and he belongs here?  Doesn't he want to see us upgrade Tony Allen to Corey Maggette for the good of the team?   Ubuntu baby.  Seriously.   Doesn't he want his team to get a backup bigman who is over 6 feet 6?  Then take your 3.8 million this year and take your 6.8 million the year after that and take your bird rights in 3 years.   We want you here Posey.   Do you want to be here?

Yeah, but I don't even think Posey thinks he's going to be worth 8 million per when he's 36. He's not worth 8 million per now.

No.  I don't.   Sshhh... don't mention that to Posey.  I dont' think he's even worth the 5.8 right now, but that's just me.   I think he's pretty overrated at this point.

I'm just offering up the scenarios.   

Seriously though if he signed here for 3.8 million this year... do you think at 32 he'd be worth 6.8?  And following that season he'd be 33... do you think he'd still have value in the league after playing on a premiere team like Boston for a couple years?   Who knows... not sure.  But I do know that this league is weird as heck and odd things happen.  When a guy like Theo Ratliff is making 12 million to do nothing... or a guy like Keith Van Horn gets a big fat contract for being retired... it's clear to me that sometimes the numbers are as important as the player value.   Boston is a big time franchise and in a few years we might be looking desperately to infuse some help around our aging big three.  At that point it would probably be helpful to have a big contract like Posey 8+ million to send to a team, you know?

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2008, 04:53:34 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
No.  I don't.   Sshhh... don't mention that to Posey.  I dont' think he's even worth the 5.8 right now, but that's just me.   I think he's pretty overrated at this point.

Not just you.

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2008, 04:59:41 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I mean yeah I'm offering up a ton of different angles and scenarios here.   Back to what I'm talking about with Posey.   He could get his 3.8 million this year and 6.8 million the year after.

Think about the dynamic of the Celtics in two years.  You have 34 year old KG... Ray is 35. Is Ray Allen still even here or have we used him in a sign and trade?  In two years his contract is up.  Have we traded him already at the mid season deadline or is he now a big free agent?   Paul Pierce is 32 at that point.   This team could probably use some help.   What are we going to do to get help?  Is there some team with a Pau Gasol-like player who is signed on for multiple years and needs to get rid of him for an expiring contract?  Is there a Jason Kidd like player who is up for grabs and teams are scrambling to find salary to make the transaction work?  If that's the case, you now have James Posey who just came off a year making 6.8 million and we now have his Bird rights.  The guy could get a big payday even in a sign and trade to provide this squad with some new talent.

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2008, 05:01:35 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
Sshhh... don't mention that to Posey.  I dont' think he's even worth the 5.8 right now, but that's just me.   I think he's pretty overrated at this point.

I believe what you can get for $5.8MM is being overrated by some on this board.

BTW, Jeff Van Gundy vehemently disagrees with you. 

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2008, 05:06:18 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Sshhh... don't mention that to Posey.  I dont' think he's even worth the 5.8 right now, but that's just me.   I think he's pretty overrated at this point.

I believe what you can get for $5.8MM is being overrated by some on this board.

BTW, Jeff Van Gundy vehemently disagrees with you. 
If there are no other options, I give him the 5.8 million, because we need a bench.   But I'd rather have Maggette.     

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2008, 05:07:46 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
If there are no other options, I give him the 5.8 million, because we need a bench.   But I'd rather have Maggette.     

I'll argue he's the best option outside of Maggette AND I don't see Maggette choosing us over San Antonio if he goes down that route. 

Willing to be patient if Posey doesn't accept a 3 year MLE contract.