Author Topic: Quick thought on character issues (from a man who has some of his own...)  (Read 5431 times)

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
1. JR Giddens was suspended by Alford... remember?

I stopped reading here. Alford wasn't the one that suspended Giddens.

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
My bad... he was suspended though, no matter who handed it down, my point remains the same.

Offline Potapenko Boxout

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
as far as having the ability to turn character issues around, I do not believe the Celtics are like the Patriots quite yet.

stay away, Darius

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
My bad... he was suspended though, no matter who handed it down, my point remains the same.

Having Giddens or Anderson alone won't ruin chemistry. How much trouble is Giddens going to cause when KG is giving him the crazy eyes?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline ChainSmokingLikeDino

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 96
1. JR Giddens was suspended by Alford... remember? Bad teammate? Now that he has graduated Alford is supporting him. I have never heard a coach PUBLICLY criticize a player with NBA aspirations... it is just indecent. Giddens was a bad egg in high school, then at Kansas. Then he went to a smaller school to get the ball more (didn't want to share in Kansas with players of like talent). He went there and never got along with teammates...

Actually giddens was suspended by Ritchie Mckay after sitting out his year because of transfering: "Head coach Ritchie McKay said of Giddens, “He did nothing illegal, nothing unethical. This program tries to promote being a good teammate and I want to emphasize that.”"

Alford came to Kansas State his senior year, not the year he was suspended, and supported him from there on. From Alford and all around he does seem to have "gotten it" and turned the ship around.

You can claim Andersen has no bball IQ and all but from all reports on him, when he was on teams, is that he was always appreciated for doing the small things on the court, rebounding, hustling, playing D.

Do you not realize that it would be impossible to sign all these bad eggs at once, as you call them? There are numerous players the Celtics are looking at, it doesn't mean all of a sudden The Celtics turn into the old JailBlazers. Rosters and cap room and needs etc limit that (Not to mention Ainge)

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
First a newsflash:  Duhon has verbally agreed to join the Knicks (bye bye Stephon)

Now my response.

1)Giddens is not a maybe situation we drafted him, his contract is guaranteed he is walking through the door.

2) As has been stated Andersen has been working out with KG for the past several summers while he's been out of the league.  As long as the numbers match up and everyone agrees I'm pretty sure he will be playing behind Perk next season

3) I like David Harrison as an addition to our center rotation as well.

4) We're all full at Power forward and Darius Miles is not the type of SF for our system.  Unless someone is getting traded or something drastic happens he's not a fit (from a purely basketball standpoint) on the Celtics.  His only outside chance is the nightmare scenario in which Posey or Maggette doesn't get signed, but if we get either of them (Posey hopefully) he doesn't come here, as much as he may have to prove he's not playing 3rd string on ANY team.

Re character issues: certain teams with a high volume of character guys and a strong infrastructure can withstand more "knuckleheads: than others, I think this team is such a team.  FYI:  I think Andersen's lessons have been learned, Miles is still a question mark granted, I think Giddens is less of one than some people are putting on it.  His LAST destination's coach said he was a team leader, no problem, a high character guy, and would've been a higher scorer had he not drawn the other teams toughest player on defense every night (a description that reminds me of what coaches said of Stephen Jackson after he got his head together...granted this is college and not the pros...but the DESCRIPTION is similar.)

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
There is also such a thing as guys having character issues learning from them and turning it around. I think that is the case with both Andersen and Giddens.  I can't speak for Miles. 

Giddens was suspended by his coach his first year at NM and that seemed to get his attention.  Steve Alford could not say enough good about him.   His senior year, he was the perfect team player and it seems that he has turned it around.

Chris Andersen has been clean for 2 years and has been coaching youth soccer and doing a lot of charity work.  It seems his suspension got his attention as well and he has turned it around as well. 

I don't think character will be an issue with either of them.

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
Everybody is calling Darius Miles a punk but what is that based on? I keep reading "he's a punk"... "I want no part of him." Exactly what has he done to merit those sentiments?