Author Topic: C’s work on Posey, work out others (some interesting names)  (Read 15338 times)

Offline yupitsme

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 12
  • "My team about green RONDO roger that" - Fabolous
http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view/2008_07_04_C_s_work_on_Posey__work_out_others/srvc=home&position=also

The Celtics also continued to look at other free agents yesterday.

In addition to a visit from former Hornets center Chris Andersen, they worked out three vastly different players - center David Harrison, guard Kirk Snyder and forward Darius Miles.

Patrick O’Bryant, the former Golden State center who the Celtics worked out prior to the 2006 draft, is due in for a workout today.

In addition, the team has taken a prolonged look at former Knicks center Randolph Morris and former Bulls guard Eddie Basden during this week’s rookie/free agent minicamp in Waltham.

“A lot of these guys we have just liked, and they’re trying to continue their careers,” said Danny Ainge, the Celtics director of basketball operations. “But there’s a lot of guys in the basketball world and a lot more we’re going to look at.

“There’s no difference than if these guys were playing in a summer league. That’s basically the situation we have right now.”

Darius Miles ? ? ? ****

I really like the Harrison kid he could be a great backup for Perk.

Re: C’s work on Posey, work out others (some interesting names)
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 12:50:17 AM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
If the Celtics sign Darius Miles, I won't watch them until he's gone.

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 12:54:46 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Darius Miles? Eeew.

...I don't know who half of the other guys are.

Randolph Morris, David Harrison, Eddie Basden?

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 01:13:09 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Sign Darius Miles and let him play a few games. Get one over on Portland. How many games does he have to play? 10 games is it? Then Portland don't get cap space for his contract which is worth what 8-9mil per season over the next two years.

Or if you're not in a vindictive move, don't sign Miles, because he can't play due to his injuries.

Hmmm ... tempting

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 01:24:02 AM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
celtics as you know will become a rehab/correctional haven if danny signs miles

anderson?? miles?? giddens?? haha jk

players can change, i believe in giddens and andersen but miles no thank you.

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 01:28:35 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Can you believe that Darius Miles is only 26 years old?  The guy is a cautionary tale for younger players, but he certainly isn't the first NBA player to fall off after signing his first (and in his case, only) big post-rookie scale contract.  Tim Thomas was able to turn one solid month with Phoenix into a second big deal, and has been loafing ever since. 

I've got to give Miles some credit for trying to play instead of just sitting back, since he's going to get his money anyways (from an insurance payout). I have a feeling that a healthy Miles playing basketball for the love of the game only will be a different player than the one that we've seen (actually, didn't see) the past few years.

Now Miles probably isn't a great fit for the Cs, since he can't hit the three.  I wonder if Ainge believes tha the Cs core has enough character guys that they can afford to take on a question mark or two. 

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 01:46:43 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
I don't know that Harrison's character history is pristine either, for what it's worth...but as yupitsme pointed out, he is a big body, which is what this team of ours could use on the bench right now.  Worth taking a look, although I'd still like to hope that there is better our there.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 02:02:17 AM »

Offline Spraypaint Victory

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
I don't know that Harrison's character history is pristine either, for what it's worth...but as yupitsme pointed out, he is a big body, which is what this team of ours could use on the bench right now.  Worth taking a look, although I'd still like to hope that there is better our there.

-sw

Wasn't involved somewhat in the pacers/pistons brawl a few years back and charged..?  He was also suspended a game by the pacers last year due to conduct. 

I would rather have the birdman.. or at least take a flyer on O'Bryant   

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 02:07:07 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

-sw

Wasn't involved somewhat in the pacers/pistons brawl a few years back and charged..?  He was also suspended a game by the pacers last year due to conduct. 

I would rather have the birdman.. or at least take a flyer on O'Bryant   

Just went back and took a look -- Harrison wasn't disciplined by the league but was charged with one count of assault and battery for the brawl.

This past season, there was an incident involving the illustrious Matt Bonner that got Harrison suspended by the team for a game for his conduct, and he also got slapped with a five-gamer by the league for violation of the substance-abuse policy.  That seems to be the extent of it.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 02:29:22 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
patrick o'blount??
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 02:31:26 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
patrick o'blount??

Mark Blount's third cousin.

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 06:37:10 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
i don't want any of those wasters. o'bryant had potential not sure where that went. i'll stick with the birdman.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 07:39:30 AM by celticmaestro »

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 06:48:48 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 162
  • Green 18!
Beside Birdman, I would like to bring in Harrison and see how well he does. We can still cut him before the start of the season if it doesn't work out.

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 07:35:53 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I don't have a problem with Darius Miles, assuming his knee is healthy enough to permit him to play.  Plus he has to serve a 10 game suspension (marijuana) becfore he can even step on the court.

Miles had great talent and squandered it.  But he didn't self-detruct any more than Chris Anderson did, and Miles is far more skilled than Anderson.

You begin to see how valuable a player like Posey is, who can guard three positions.  They will need two players to replace him.

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 08:12:42 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
seems the pickings are slim.  patrick o'blount as one other said doesn't do anything for me.  of course then we have people saying we should sign anderson over harrison due to character issues.  say what!

"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."