Author Topic: Just Re-Sign Posey  (Read 12773 times)

Re: Just Re-Sign Posey
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2008, 02:26:31 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Not if he only signs for 2, maybe 3 years..but for 5? I mean thats al albatross contract, cut and dry.

Try to find a non-starting player that signed a full MLE contract for 4 years that was 31 or older at the time of signing that has worked out. Its pretty tough. Take into account that a lot of Posey's defensive and "little things" are due to his still freakish athleticism, and I don't like the extra years at all.

You could make the argument that Kevin Garnett's contract is a cap killer using your philosophy. 

I was simply saying that when comparing him to Radmanovic, if Rad played defense ... he'd easily be worth the MLE. 

I'm not sure I'd offer 5.  I've said that on numerous occasions, but a 4 year deal corresponds with Garnett's contract which is kind of a limiting factor in free agency.   

The real question to me is whether ownership is going to be willing to use Allen's contract to get us another star after next year. 

I wasn't targeting your radmon point exclusively. I actually think there is a good chance that Garnett's contract will be a cap killer in its final year. But I think its a different situation with him, he's a superstar, a franchise piece. If it took that many years to ease his mind with coming here, no question its not money wasted.

Now if Posey was not on the team this past season would we have still have won? Who knows? I would tend to agree with someone if they said 'no'. I do think, however, that offering a 5 year contract to posey would be a big mistake. Your point about 4 years coinciding with Garnett's contract expiring though is a good one, because as long as Pierce and him are on the books, we're pretty much guaranteed over he cap regardless. And I really doubt we're not going to let pierce go anywhere in 3 years.

The full-MLE for five years would be a mistake, I agree. But if we're talking about a 5 years non-Bird contract it's a different story. We would be underpaying him for 3 years and we'd have a nice expiring in the final year - and we'll be rebuilding by then.

The non-bird contract is where he gets a 20% raise? Could you explain a little bit, Im not familiar with this so much.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2008, 02:30:11 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
If it is indeed true that he has at least one full 5 yr MLE offer, we may very well be out of this race. It would be very poor judgement to give him 5 years. I might consider 4 years, but not 5 by any stretch. He just isn't worth that. His worth to us is 3 years full MLE, 4 years at 5mil per so we can also sign one more big with the rest of it. (I would likely consider 4 full MLE) No way I sign the guy for 5 years. If Maggette will sign for 5 years full MLE then that's a smarter bet. I think we lose both options though. The Spurs make so much more sense because they can start him, not sign Finley, and continue to bring Ginobli off the bench. That would give him the touches he wants, improve that team dramatically, and pay him the same contract.

If Posey has this offer elsewhere then he really ought to take it as much as I would love him back. If we think Scal's contract is hurting us now, wait until the 4th and 5th year of Posey's...

« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2008, 02:31:28 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Not if he only signs for 2, maybe 3 years..but for 5? I mean thats al albatross contract, cut and dry.

Try to find a non-starting player that signed a full MLE contract for 4 years that was 31 or older at the time of signing that has worked out. Its pretty tough. Take into account that a lot of Posey's defensive and "little things" are due to his still freakish athleticism, and I don't like the extra years at all.

You could make the argument that Kevin Garnett's contract is a cap killer using your philosophy. 

I was simply saying that when comparing him to Radmanovic, if Rad played defense ... he'd easily be worth the MLE. 

I'm not sure I'd offer 5.  I've said that on numerous occasions, but a 4 year deal corresponds with Garnett's contract which is kind of a limiting factor in free agency.   

The real question to me is whether ownership is going to be willing to use Allen's contract to get us another star after next year. 

I wasn't targeting your radmon point exclusively. I actually think there is a good chance that Garnett's contract will be a cap killer in its final year. But I think its a different situation with him, he's a superstar, a franchise piece. If it took that many years to ease his mind with coming here, no question its not money wasted.

Now if Posey was not on the team this past season would we have still have won? Who knows? I would tend to agree with someone if they said 'no'. I do think, however, that offering a 5 year contract to posey would be a big mistake. Your point about 4 years coinciding with Garnett's contract expiring though is a good one, because as long as Pierce and him are on the books, we're pretty much guaranteed over he cap regardless. And I really doubt we're not going to let pierce go anywhere in 3 years.

The full-MLE for five years would be a mistake, I agree. But if we're talking about a 5 years non-Bird contract it's a different story. We would be underpaying him for 3 years and we'd have a nice expiring in the final year - and we'll be rebuilding by then.

I'd go five years non-Bird without a problem. I'm with you.

« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2008, 02:50:17 PM »

Offline quikblink

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 14
I feel we really lucked out with Pose this year in terms of health.  The way he plays the game is so violent that I feel like his body would not last a 5 year contract.  I would be OK giving him the MLE for 2-3 years but in year 4 and 5 we are going to have to use that money on someone to replace KG/PP not a broken down roleplayer.

« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2008, 02:59:03 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
I feel we really lucked out with Pose this year in terms of health.  The way he plays the game is so violent that I feel like his body would not last a 5 year contract.  I would be OK giving him the MLE for 2-3 years but in year 4 and 5 we are going to have to use that money on someone to replace KG/PP not a broken down roleplayer.

I agree.  I don't think he is worth a 5 year deal at this point.  I'd take him for 2-3 years but thats about it.  I'm just hoping that if Posey bolts Maggette comes here otherwise tht leaves us really small in the frontcourt.