Author Topic: USA Basketball Team Photo Conspiracy.  (Read 12558 times)

USA Basketball Team Photo Conspiracy.
« on: July 03, 2008, 06:23:32 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
This so blatant it's not even funny :o

Coach K is covering the Logo of the only player not endorsed by NIKE ( Dwight Howard)

http://www.cnbc.com/id/25513177
The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: USA Basketball Team Photo Conspiracy.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 06:29:51 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I would definitely not be surprised if there was something to it.

I love comparing heights to listed heights in photos like this.  Prince noticeably taller than Boozer, LeBron looks 2 inches taller than Melo (his head is slightly down, look at their shoulder/neck heights), Kobe looks 2 inches shorter than Melo.... my guess is Kobe 6'5", Melo 6'7", LeBron/Boozer 6'9", Prince 6'10".

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 06:31:37 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
It's nothing new. 

Remember all the members of the '92 team that had flags draped over their Reebox logos? 

(At least I think the team was sponsored by Reebok.  It was someone that 3 or 4 guys weren't sponsored by)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 06:47:01 PM »

Offline RunningTheFloor

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
I think this is a whole lot of nothing.

If you notice, Howard is one of maybe three guys where you can actually see the Nike swoosh on his jersey.

If they were trying to cover up the Nike symbol, they would have him turned slightly more.  That would have been the easiest one to cover.

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 06:47:30 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
So what brand shoes do some of the guys left off the team wear?  Guys like Joe Johnson, Shane Battier, Tyson Chandler, Mike Miller?  If none of them wore Nike brand shoes either they might be onto something.

Conspiracy?  That article said it was Nike photo, why would Nike advertise a competitors brand for free?  Nothing wrong with covering up the adidas logo, it's a good business practice by Nike if anything. 

Now on the other hand Howard should have never let this happen, adidas is paying him millions, he's gotta rep his brand!  He should have refused to be photographed like that.  What could the photographer have done then?  You can't have a team photo without Howard, and then if Howard refused to let the photographer hide is adidas logo, and was then left out of the photo (probably with a claim he missed the photo shoot or something) think of the story then once it leaked to the media, that would be great and probably generate even more good pub for adidas (and negative pub for Nike as they would come off as a corrupt, heartless corporation) and make Howard look like a great guy to sponsor your products and maybe raise Howard's marketability considerably.  Howard is just too much of a marshmallow though to have stood up for his brand like that.  Think if someone tried to do that to Gilber Arenas, that would never fly, he'd blab it to everyone.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 07:02:31 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 07:23:18 PM »

Offline Green4ever

• NCE
  • Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
i dont think so because Dwade is wearing converse. i think it is all a coincidence otherwise they would cover dwade's shoes too.

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 09:03:40 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
i dont think so because Dwade is wearing converse. i think it is all a coincidence otherwise they would cover dwade's shoes too.

Nike owns Converse, so Converse falls under the Nike umbrella.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Interesting find! Is the World run by Nike?
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 11:52:11 AM »

Offline wildo05

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
Earlier this morning, I was listening to the Dan Patrick Show on my XM. He had Darren Rovell on from CNBC as a guest. I guess there is a Nike conspiracy with regards to the Team USA Photo (http://www.cnbc.com/id/25513177). This is further proof that Nike runs the world! This is similar to when MJ wore the American Flag on the medal stand because the warmups were Reebok. So let me know what you think about all this! I think its kind of funny!
A winner is someone who recognizes his God- given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals." - Larry Joe Bird

"Anything is Possible!" - KG

"I'm just surprised he wasn't whining about the foul calls." - Glen "Doc" Rivers (6-11-08)

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 12:20:56 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
Now on the other hand Howard should have never let this happen, adidas is paying him millions, he's gotta rep his brand!  He should have refused to be photographed like that.  What could the photographer have done then?  You can't have a team photo without Howard, and then if Howard refused to let the photographer hide is adidas logo, and was then left out of the photo (probably with a claim he missed the photo shoot or something) think of the story then once it leaked to the media, that would be great and probably generate even more good pub for adidas (and negative pub for Nike as they would come off as a corrupt, heartless corporation) and make Howard look like a great guy to sponsor your products and maybe raise Howard's marketability considerably.  Howard is just too much of a marshmallow though to have stood up for his brand like that.  Think if someone tried to do that to Gilber Arenas, that would never fly, he'd blab it to everyone.

The way I see it, I'm sure that adidas isn't happy about it, but how much would Howard's image be ruined if he wouldn't appear in a Team USA photo shoot because of his brand?  Sure, it's a Nike photo shoot, but that part would be easily washed over by a sensationalist media and then Howard would look like a jerk who chose a German shoe brand over his American teammates.

So what brand shoes do some of the guys left off the team wear?  Guys like Joe Johnson, Shane Battier, Tyson Chandler, Mike Miller?  If none of them wore Nike brand shoes either they might be onto something.

Now THAT would be an interesting story.  Though with those names, I'd have to say that those guys are lucky to get their shoes for free compared to guys like LeBron, Melo, and Kobe.  If someone like Kevin Garnett or Tracy McGrady were left off the team for such a reason...THEN we'd have something. 

If they were trying to cover up the Nike symbol, they would have him turned slightly more.  That would have been the easiest one to cover.

They're trying to cover Howard's adidas logo on his shoe, not the Nike logo on his uniform.

Also, I wonder if something ever happened like this to Hakeem and Spaulding?
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 12:30:59 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
I would definitely not be surprised if there was something to it.

I love comparing heights to listed heights in photos like this.  Prince noticeably taller than Boozer, LeBron looks 2 inches taller than Melo (his head is slightly down, look at their shoulder/neck heights), Kobe looks 2 inches shorter than Melo.... my guess is Kobe 6'5", Melo 6'7", LeBron/Boozer 6'9", Prince 6'10".

I also really enjoy that part.  I had no idea that Tayshaun Prince was that tall.  Although with LeBron hunched over like he is, I'm even more sure of my theory that if they ever straightened his legs out, he'd be 7'4"

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 12:33:17 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
coach k looks so out of place in this picture....I think there's a conspiracy at hand...someone get Nick on it quick
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 12:41:56 PM »

Offline geraldgreen5

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
there is no conspiracy chris paul and carmelo are both signed under jordan so they would have blocked them out too. I think its just a coincidence

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 01:10:50 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo

The way I see it, I'm sure that adidas isn't happy about it, but how much would Howard's image be ruined if he wouldn't appear in a Team USA photo shoot because of his brand?  Sure, it's a Nike photo shoot, but that part would be easily washed over by a sensationalist media and then Howard would look like a jerk who chose a German shoe brand over his American teammates.

I don't know, I'm sure Nike would try to spin it that way, make Howard appear as a primadona for choosing his sneaker company over his country, but you never know what way the media would run with it.   Personally, I think it would go the other way.  Howard would look like the victim and Nike and the photgrapher would look like the cultprit.  Of course I'm sure both companies PR teams would be working overtime to make it look like the other company is the problem.  I can just see the headline and the article now:

"Nike Refuses to let Howard in Team USA Photo Shoot." 
Associated Press
Colorado Springs - All-Star Center Dwight Howard was held out of a Team USA photo shoot Friday for refusing to let a Nike photographer cover his adidas sneakers.  The photographer, Joe Blow, hired by Nike to conduct the team photo shoot attempted to hide Howard's feett behind another player.  When Howard, who wears rival brand adidas sneakers, refused claiming no other player was being asked to cover up their footwear, the photographer asked Howard to step out of the photoshoot.  Upset over the matter, Howard stepped out of the room to call his agent, but when he returned the team photo had already been taken.  Jack Black, Vice President of Marketing at adidas was outraged, claiming Nike violated Howards indivual rights and put a corporation above Team USA.  Howard's agent was also vivid claiming Howard was told the photo would not be taken until Howard could talk to his representatives and a fair compromise could be reached.  "I'm hurt by the matter" is all Howard would say.  Calls to Nike and the photographer were not returned.

there is no conspiracy chris paul and carmelo are both signed under jordan so they would have blocked them out too. I think its just a coincidence
Jordan brand is owned by Nike, Converse is owned by Nike, everybody in the photo shoot wears a sneaker brand that is owned by Nike except for Howard.

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 01:25:15 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
I don't know, I'm sure Nike would try to spin it that way, make Howard appear as a primadona for choosing his sneaker company over his country, but you never know what way the media would run with it.   Personally, I think it would go the other way.  Howard would look like the victim and Nike and the photgrapher would look like the cultprit.  Of course I'm sure both companies PR teams would be working overtime to make it look like the other company is the problem.  I can just see the headline and the article now:

Yeah, it could be just about how the media feels that day.  If I were one to watch those crappy ESPN shows where normally non-insane (the world hopes) journalists yell at each other, I'm sure I'd hear both sides of it very loudly, but personally, I think a lot of it would be vilifying the athlete for not wanting his picture taken with his team and his country.  I think, if he were to take himself out of the picture it would be a very "me, me" kind of thing to do, and that's not what anyone wants from USA Basketball.

Ultimately, though, since Howard did nothing and we're still having a discussion about, I feel like a baseborn child of the sports media types that I derisively think would rip this apart.  I think I'm going to go pray.

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 01:50:31 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo

Yeah, it could be just about how the media feels that day.  If I were one to watch those crappy ESPN shows where normally non-insane (the world hopes) journalists yell at each other, I'm sure I'd hear both sides of it very loudly, but personally, I think a lot of it would be vilifying the athlete for not wanting his picture taken with his team and his country.  I think, if he were to take himself out of the picture it would be a very "me, me" kind of thing to do, and that's not what anyone wants from USA Basketball.

Ultimately, though, since Howard did nothing and we're still having a discussion about, I feel like a baseborn child of the sports media types that I derisively think would rip this apart.  I think I'm going to go pray.

Now running with this completely hypothetical situation that never happened, I think we're thinking of slightly different scenarios too.  In my scenario Howard isn't refusing to be photographed, he's just refusing to let the photographer hide his adidas sneakers, and then the photographer refuses to photgraph Howard (making the photgrapher/Nike the bad guy).  I think the main scenario in your head is that Howard just refuses to be photographed (making Howard look like a bad guy).  So it  really would all come down to how this non-existent event actually went down.  You can be Wilbon, I'll be Kornheiser. (and TP for good discussion, I find this topic interesting, but no one is really discussing this one, this thread has been around 5 days and we're still on page 1).

I think Howard needs to rep his brand. Run DMC style.  Take a shoe off, and hold it up in the air, show the world what brand of kicks you're rocking.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 03:00:29 PM by bdm860 »