Author Topic: Name the Oklahoma City......  (Read 38556 times)

Re: Name the Oklahoma City......
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2008, 01:08:47 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Perhaps you are right Nick, I really don't know.

But who else than the owners has more and better incentives to make good decisions to the business? Sure they can make bad decisions; but it's more probable that they make better decisions than anyone else: it's their money, their industry, their assets. Also, it's important to note that any relocation or extension has to be voted and approved by the ownerships of the other franchises. If they, including Wyc, are fine with moving a franchise to Oklahoma, well, so am I. Not falling in any kind of indifferentism, I just think that they are surely more prepared and better informed to make wiser decisions than I am.

Anyway, I hope they are pondering some of the ideas you explained, for the good of the game.
Funny thing is if Oklahoma City works will a name realignment be necessary again?

Central to North
Southeast to East
South West to South
Northwest to West

I think I could see OKC in a division called the West Division but having Denver, Utah, Minnesota and OKC in a division called the Northwest is rather dumb considering Portland is really the only team located anywhere near the northwestern area of the USA.

Of course they could always keep the names and move Memphis to the Central, Milwaukee to the Northwest and OKC to the Southwest. Somehow having OKC playing the teams in Texas in the same division makes a lot of sense rivalry wise.

Maybe this deserves its own thread?

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2008, 01:48:03 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Oklahoma City Bandits sounds good to me

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2008, 02:14:36 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Oklahoma City Bandits sounds good to me

Sounds kinda like a double A baseball team. I bet they're playing the Tulsa Coyotes (thats pronounced "kuh-I-oats" later this week, and finishing the "panhandle pandemonium against the Norman Bullfrogs on Double Down Sunday, where every Hotdog or large nachos you buy is worth another courtesy of Lawton Community Bank, because "If your money ain't with Lawton, you're not doin what you'oughtin'"

Wow its gettin late...shoulda stopped at Norman Bullfrogs.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Guess the name of the new OKC franchise
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2008, 10:44:24 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Under the terms of their deal with Seattle, they can't use Sonics.

My money is on the Cowboys. How 'bout dem Cowboys?

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2008, 10:49:16 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
OKC Transplants
Yup

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2008, 10:59:25 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
So, let's see if I have this right.

Seattle loses the team but gets to keep the Supersonics name and gets to keep the NBA Championship and Western Conference Championship and Pacific Division winning banners hanging in an arena where only people going to watch minor league hockey, concerts and the circus can see them.

Meanwhile, Oklahoma City gets an NBA franchise and gets to call themselves a former NBA Champion and have Pacific Division winning banners hanging in the middle of the United States prairy lands.

All this while the following metropolitan areas with populations twice the size of Oklahoma City have no NBA franchise:

Seattle - pop. 3.3 million
San Diego - pop. 2.9 million
St. Louis - pop. 2.8 million
Tampa Bay - pop. 2.7 million
Baltimore - pop. 2.6 million
Pittsburgh - pop. 2.3 million

Can someone please explain the logic behind this other than, well David Stern says it will make tons of money for 30 partnership groups, so that's the way it is?

Explain exactly what? It's the owners choice. Why shouldn't they establish their businesses where they want? Size matters that much? What's the population of San Antonio? One and half million? Let's just move them to Tampa Bay or San Jose.

If anyone think that a franchise in Seattle or San Diego would be profitable, buy one and relocate to there. That's what Seattle fans should have done: start a public company and buy the Sonics. Put your money where your mouth is.

I agree.  If an owner feels he isn't getting the best deal in a city, why not move.  It is their company and they are responsible for it.

That said, sorry 76er fans but OK City 66er's after Route 66 which OK City was a major part of back in the day.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2008, 11:13:49 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
okc pillagers.

if they don't have the bottle to call it that then they should be (apologies if someone's called it already) the oklahoma chiefs - it's in keeping with the oklahoma flag, too. i mentioned this last year in a related thread and for anyone who thinks it's not complying with political correctness, we already have the kansas city chiefs in the nfl. i think it suits.

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2008, 11:15:25 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
I agree.  If an owner feels he isn't getting the best deal in a city, why not move.  It is their company and they are responsible for it.

In the case of the Sonics, the "best deal" has nothing to do with it.  Some dude wanted an NBA team in his city, and he took it.  Obviously it's a much more complicated issue than that, but this wasn't about the team not making money in Seattle and making money in OKC.

That said, sorry 76er fans but OK City 66er's after Route 66 which OK City was a major part of back in the day.

Geez, they already stole one team, why not steal another teams name?
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2008, 11:18:28 AM »

Offline papa shuttlesworth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 46
The OKC David Stern BFFs

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2008, 11:23:35 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Ok..probably a bit too much time on my hands this  morning but I guess today I am dreaming of a day off tomorrow and who the Celtics will sign next week.

Possible Names

Oklahoma City Flycatchers...named after the State Bird

Oklahoma City Redbuds...after the state tree..come on..I see Budweiser sponsorships and  special beer served at games called Redbuds, the Beer of Okies

Oklahoma City Bison..named after the state mammal...that is not horrible...hmm..Bison...

Oklahoma City Milk...after the state beverage...maybe not..although if it does the body good maybe it will do the franchise good as well..

Oklahoma City Wild Turkey..named after the state bird..they should be thankful at Thanksgiving for this team so maybe this works....Whiskey sponsorships galore wit this name

Oklahoma City Sandbass..after the state fish...

Oklahoma City Mistletoe..after the state floral emblem

Oklahoma City Rose..after the state flowers...

Oklahoma City Honeybees..after the state insect...the Hornets vs. The Honeybees could be a new rivalry that could one day rival Celtics - Lakers...

Oklahoma City Lizards...after the state reptile Collared Lizard...could be a cool uniform

Oklahoma City Bullfrogs...the state amphibian...not bad

Oklahoma City Wind...after the state waltz..newspapers would have a field day with this name...The Wind got Blown away tonight by the Championship Celtics and there new addition Magette....Hey, its Christmas in July..I can dream of shiny new players(Nickagneta's Christmas post) wearing Celtics Green

Oklahoma City Swallowtails..after the state Butterfly....could be another fun name as well...The OC Swallowtails swallowed up the Knicks tonight along with there former coach/owner/prima donna players as well..

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2008, 11:24:31 AM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
But do you have cultivate this kind of feelings for every other franchise in the League that was once relocated or you just despise the guys in Oklahoma? Is it because it's a rural state in the Midwest?
[/quote]

This has nothing to do with Oklahoma being a rural state, nor is it even a swipe at the fans -- who legitimately supported the Hornets and were a very strong and passionate fan base.

This is about the sheer greed of ownership. You could find 3-5 teams who would be more justified in relocating due to poor attendance/local support (Charlotte, New Orleans, Memphis, Washington, Minnesota)than the Sonics. It's a shame that an entire region gets punished because they refused to play David Stern's game of "Stadium Chicken" -- build me a new one or we leave.

The ownership bought this team to move it, they had no interest in even trying to make things work in the city.

And I hated it when the Colts left Baltimore, when the Browns left Cleveland, the Cardinals left St. Louis, the Rams left Los Angeles and the NHL left most of Canada. But wasn't upset when the Hornets left Charlotte or the Grizzlies left Vancouver, because they city never embraced those teams.

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2008, 11:32:37 AM »

Offline Cassidy122690

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 18
The size of the market is only one part of the story (See Miami).  You have to take into consideration the allegiance of the fans.  They'll be all over the team there.  It's the first professional major sports franchise in Oklahoma, providing of course you don't count OU in football.  They'll sell-out like crazy. 

Regarding the name, they cannot be the Cowboys.  OSU is the Cowboys. 

What I do hope is that they do change the name.  I hate that the Lakers and Clippers are in L.A., and that the Jazz are in Utah.  Things like the Pistons in Detroit, the 76ers in Philly, or the Spurs in San Antonio are reflective of the location.  I hope they come up with something creative that goes beyond Tornado.

Hey Doc!!  It's DJsFreckles from the espn board. [dang] glad to run into ya.
Out of Ireland have we come, great hatred, little room, maimed us at the start. I carry from my mother's womb a fanatic heart.  W.B. Yeats

« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2008, 11:36:04 AM »

Offline OKC Celtic

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0
The name will probably be something like "Barons" (one of the top choices in the local contest here in the paper recently).  Someone even created a mock photo:

http://aaronzach.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/okcbarons1.jpg

The colors for this suggestion were black and gold (oil references), which I don't mind too much.

I personally think it will either be weather related ("Thunder") or something to do with energy.

The rumor is that the colors will be red, white and blue.

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2008, 12:07:12 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Geez, they already stole one team, why not steal another teams name?

How can you steal a team? Hasn't Bennet payed for the franchise? Hasn't he used his own money?

I only see two steals in this all history:

Seattle voters (or, more accurately, the officials they elected) stole Seattle taxpayers. Unfortunately for Sonics fans, they didn't steal enough.

Oklahoma voters (again, the officials they elected) stole Oklahoma taxpayers. They succeed.

Oklahoma stole nothing to Seattle. The owner payed for the franchise.

« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2008, 12:09:55 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Oklahoma City Thieves