Author Topic: Some of these max offers are ridiculous  (Read 3985 times)

Some of these max offers are ridiculous
« on: July 02, 2008, 05:43:57 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
I hear rumors arenas is worth 6 year 124 million?? about the same for a guy like elton brand??

These would have to be rumors cuz those figures are flat out ridiculous for those type of players

They are no doubt all star players but consider both just look able after injuries plus i don't see no rings in their fingers make these kind of offers even more puzzling

Not the players fault cuz anyone would consider it in a heartbeat, its just these dumb teams who offer these kinds of deals being the problem. As the celtics proved it , it is nearly impossible in todays nba to win it all with just one all star player let alone two. Its not easy to then sign two more all star players for you to be able to win it all

The only player probably worth the max and might need just another legit all star to win it all is lebron james

gilbert arenas?? you got to be kidding me

Re: Some of these max offers are ridiculous
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 05:54:43 PM »

Offline Montrossity

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
Its particularly silly considering the current market where so few teams even have spending money.  Its like going to an auction, seeing you are one of only a few people in the room (and one of MAYBE 2 remotely interested parties), and making your opening bid consist of every penny in your pocket.  Its absolutely idiotic.

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 06:07:52 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I think Arenas is worth max money. That's a good signing for whoever gets him, very likely Washington.

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 06:13:04 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I don't think Arenas is worth the max. You can't build around his game and contract if you really want to win a title. I'm just not convinced. You'd only give him the max if you're just trying to sell tickets and be competetive.

I suppose the same could be said for Iverson and his contract. Great individual players. But it is hard to picture them leading a team to the promised land.

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 06:29:24 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I think recent history shows that, usually, max money = lack of team depth = no championships.

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 06:35:09 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I think Arenas is worth max money. That's a good signing for whoever gets him, very likely Washington.

I don't think he is as an isolated case... but to keep him, Butler, and Jamison together, you have to do it.  There's an article that pretty much sums up my feelings on it... I can't find it now, but is essentially said the Wizards were saying they are content with being an exciting team that makes the playoffs and bows out in the 1st or 2nd round.  I like that team a bit more than that, but this ties into my feelings in the GS-Brand thread... this Wizards team is not a title team, but it will probably be a good team that turns a profit.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 06:40:45 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
yup and thats why kg when he got ultra max money couldn't take his team nowhere with no help. Yeah you can buy a even bigger house but you also lose out having fun in your career

washington is a decent team but they are a couple of player away from the championship and have a clog in the forward/guard positions (butler, jamieson, now possibly arenas)

their gm is truly clueless

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 06:46:01 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I blame Butler/Jamison/Eddie Jordan and the wrong supporting cast for the Wizards lack of playoff success more than Gilbert.

It's the same problem with Nash. He's a bad defender but he has so much quality that you can work around it. What you can't do is work around it when his co-stars and teammates are bad defensively. Those guys have to be able to limit his weaknesses.

Wizards are losing because Butler and Jamison are bad fits next to Gilbert. Because Eddie Jordan is a fool who's ruining the careers of their young prospects and has been holding Haywood back since he arrived. And because their role players don't fill enough gaps. Guys like Etan Thomas, Songaila and Antonio Daniels - who's Gilbert's replacement and is a worse defender than Gilbert. Does that sound like a smart sub for Gilbert? No. By the way, Wizards should sign Chris Duhon.

With Jamison's new contract, that Jamison-Butler combination at around 20mil combined would be a very nice trade asset. They should think about that.

You don't get better by moving/losing Gilbert. You get better by moving the other guys. Gilbert is the one you keep and build around.

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 06:54:36 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
fine, you can build around gilbert but he is not worth 6 years 124 million period.

How about baron davis money at 5 year 65 million?? yeah baron davis is older but you can't tell me arenas is way better than him, matter of fact i see them equal to what they can bring to a team

i understand your steve nash explanation but then if u get really good defensive roles player, likely they are not so good on offense and nash can't fully use his offensive tools to score. Thats why it was a bold move for kerr to pickup a defensive minded center like robin lopez

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 07:03:58 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
fine, you can build around gilbert but he is not worth 6 years 124 million period.

How about baron davis money at 5 year 65 million?? yeah baron davis is older but you can't tell me arenas is way better than him, matter of fact i see them equal to what they can bring to a team
Baron Davis is better than Gilbert. He's better than Nash too. He's right there with Chris Paul and Deron Williams as the best point guard in the league. The contract he signed is fantastic for the LA Clippers.

If only the true top players in the NBA earned max contracts then Gilbert isn't worth his pay but it doesn't work like that. Ray Allen is on a max contract and we've got two other max contracts next to him and a quality supporting cast around him. There's more than enough room in the salary cap to have two max contract players on your team, by 30 teams, which is 60 players in the league. Is Gilbert Arenas worth that? Yes, of course he is. Can you build a top team around him while he's on that pay? Yes, of course you can.

Gilbert Arenas is perennial All-Star and he is an All-Pro level player. He's worth max money.

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 07:09:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I can't see giving max contracts to guys near or over 30 who have put together 2 years in a row without missing major injury time only once in their career each. It ridiculous. If you give them a 5 or 6 year max contract it is almost a guarantee based on their history that you will be losing at the very least 2 whole years off that contract due to injury.

Bad, bad business in my book.

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 07:22:52 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I hear rumors arenas is worth 6 year 124 million?? about the same for a guy like elton brand??

Who's offering about the same to Elton Brand? The max the Warriors can offer is a starting salary of $16 million with 8% annual raises that equates to 5 years $94M. The Clippers can simply match the offer.