Author Topic: G S retaliates with max offer to Brand  (Read 23177 times)

Re: G S retaliates with max offer to Brand
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2008, 07:58:00 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
Here's the deal, with a starting salary of $12,500,000 (being conservative as you put it) depending on what type of contract it is (larry bird or extension) this is what he could make in 6 years:

99.17 million for extension or 94.69 million for a new larry bird contract.

For 5 years it's 78.6 or 75.6 million respectively.

Using the figures of $13,500,000, these would be the results.

For 6 years: 105m or 102m

For 5 years: 83.6m or 81.6m

I just don't know what type of contract for the Clippers this is considered, so I put both scenarios.

Raises are not compounded, they're either based of on the last year of the current contract (before extension) for a contract extension or on the first year of the new contract for the other type.

Ah, I was compounding the raises, stupid Excel. ;D.

I think that it's a new contract, he's an UFA right now, so they'll have to use the Larry Bird Exception to resign him, right?

So, we have a range between $75M and $105M, depending on Davis salary and Clippers cap holds. I think they'll find a way to make the deal (especially considering that Brandon only opted out to allow them to sign Davis).

just to play devil's advocate here, do we know that Brand only opted out so the Clipps could sign Davis....

it is  a little weird that we haven't heard any leaked reports that Brand is not interested in going to GS if that was the case..

« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2008, 08:11:34 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Here's the deal, with a starting salary of $12,500,000 (being conservative as you put it) depending on what type of contract it is (larry bird or extension) this is what he could make in 6 years:

99.17 million for extension or 94.69 million for a new larry bird contract.

For 5 years it's 78.6 or 75.6 million respectively.

Using the figures of $13,500,000, these would be the results.

For 6 years: 105m or 102m

For 5 years: 83.6m or 81.6m

I just don't know what type of contract for the Clippers this is considered, so I put both scenarios.

Raises are not compounded, they're either based of on the last year of the current contract (before extension) for a contract extension or on the first year of the new contract for the other type.

Ah, I was compounding the raises, stupid Excel. ;D.

I think that it's a new contract, he's an UFA right now, so they'll have to use the Larry Bird Exception to resign him, right?

So, we have a range between $75M and $105M, depending on Davis salary and Clippers cap holds. I think they'll find a way to make the deal (especially considering that Brandon only opted out to allow them to sign Davis).

Well, 105m is out of the picture on these calculations since that was for an extension... which apparently it isn't, so 102m would be the case.

But we're just throwing speculative numbers. The important thing is the starting salary. If you think $13.5 is the most they could offer him, then they can make an offer for up to 102 million for 6 years, or close to it.

But in order for Brand to accept the Warriors offer, they'd surely have to keep Davis. I don't think Brand accepts without Davis in there. And in order to keep Davis, I wonder how much they can actually offer him to fit in Brand. I don't think they can go high enough to keep Davis. They could renounce their rights to Monta Ellis, and see how that goes.

So for the Clippers side, this would mean that they'd regain their rights on Corey Maggette, they could go after Monta Ellis, and they could go after Josh Smith, Gilbert Arenas, etc.

With all that said, I'm 90% sure that Brand will stay with the Clippers, even if he has to take a paycut.

« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2008, 08:16:29 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
just to play devil's advocate here, do we know that Brand only opted out so the Clipps could sign Davis....

it is  a little weird that we haven't heard any leaked reports that Brand is not interested in going to GS if that was the case..

There's this from ESPN:

Strong indications persist that Brand will stay in L.A., largely because he explained his decision to opt out of the final year of his previous contract Monday by saying he was trying to give the Clippers some financial flexibility to strengthen the team around him. But Brand is apparently still considering Golden State's rich proposal. ...

Sources close to the situation told ESPN.com on Wednesday night that the most likely scenario remains Brand re-signing with L.A. and ultimately teaming with Davis no matter what the Warriors present. One source said that Brand, during negotiations on a contract extension in June, specifically told Clippers management that Davis was the player he hoped they'd pursue if he became available in free agency. ...

The saga began Monday when Brand unexpectedly walked away from next season's $16.4 million salary to become an unrestricted free agent. Brand immediately announced that his "intention is to stay" with the Clippers. Falk told ESPN.com that they wanted to "afford the Clippers roster flexibility over the next nine days" to solidify the team around Brand and eventually sign a contract -- presumably with a slight pay cut -- that would enable Brand to "finish his career with the Clippers." ...

"He's sort of the face of that team and he wants to try to get it back to where they were a couple years ago when they almost got to the conference finals," Falk said Monday, adding that Brand became a free agent with the intent to "maximize his opportunity to be on a serious contender."

It sounds like Brand opted out to allow Davis to come, but then when Golden State presented a giant offer, he paused to consider it (most likely on the advice of his agent).  He'd be stupid not to at least think through the different scenarios (especially since he can't sign anything until next week, anyway), but ultimately, I think everyone is expecting him to be back with L.A.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2008, 02:04:42 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
Pardon me if someone already posted this, but my take on Brand's waiting is that he is possibly (probably?) doing it to cause disruption in the free agent market for the Clips rivals.

So long as Golden State is waiting to see if Brand will sign, they will not sign anyone else.   That gives the Clippers an advantage in that one of their division rivals isn't getting any better alongside them. 

From a front office standpoint, anything that causes any other team in the league not to improve, by relation, improves your team.

I wouldn't theorize like this, except I really don't think B-Davis goes to the Clips without a verbal agreement with Brand.