Author Topic: G S retaliates with max offer to Brand  (Read 23128 times)

Re: G S retaliates with max offer to Brand
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 03:53:31 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
looks like we have a good old fashioned in state rivalry brewing. I think Brand would be perfect for the G-State system because of his rebounding and ability to finish.

That's funny because I think Brand is the total opposite of a Nelly system.

Al Harrington or Stephen Jackson at the PF spot is better than Elton Brand for Nelly's system.
I think he would play more of the five in Nellie ball. He is a guy who can score on offensive rebounds and on poor rotations so he's perfect for the offense scoring without demanding the ball. But I could be wrong.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 03:55:01 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Elton Brand will turn them down. There's no way they went after Baron Davis that quickly without a commitment from Elton. He won't back out of the deal.

Warriors should have done this the first minute free agency opened. Then it would have meant something and caused the Clippers a lot of problems. Dumb management. So should Chicago and Philadelphia and possibly a couple of other teams, they were way too lax on attempting to pry Brand away from the Clippers. There's no way Clips get Baron that quickly with teams in Brand's ear.

After Orlando got the commitment from Rashard Lewis last year teams still called Lewis trying to get him to back out and sign with them. Similar situation. Brand won't bite.

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 03:58:52 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Clippers re-retaliate by offering Tim Hardaway Mitch Richmond and Chris Mullins max contracts. Sterling down after being told none of them are still in the league as players.

IndeedProceed,
   I'd like to thank you for this post, because it made me want to go to youtube to watch the skit on Tim Hardaway by the Star trek guy on Jimmy Kimmel's show, but when I typed in "Tim Hardaway Jimmy Kimmell" somehow I ended up with a Megan Fox interview and now watching Megan Fox for a while has totally made this gloomy afternoon a lot brighter.  :D

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 04:01:40 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Elton Brand will turn them down. There's no way they went after Baron Davis that quickly without a commitment from Elton. He won't back out of the deal.

Warriors should have done this the first minute free agency opened. Then it would have meant something and caused the Clippers a lot of problems. Dumb management. So should Chicago and Philadelphia and possibly a couple of other teams, they were way too lax on attempting to pry Brand away from the Clippers. There's no way Clips get Baron that quickly with teams in Brand's ear.

After Orlando got the commitment from Rashard Lewis last year teams still called Lewis trying to get him to back out and sign with them. Similar situation. Brand won't bite.

I agree, dumb moves by management, and too little too late. As who said, if they did this right at the beginning it would have been great, but now they are just embarrassing themselves.

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 04:05:20 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Guaranteed Brand won't change his mind? Just ask Cleveland managmeent (and Boozer).

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2008, 04:09:04 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker

I agree, dumb moves by management, and too little too late. As who said, if they did this right at the beginning it would have been great, but now they are just embarrassing themselves.

They couldn't do it at the beginning because Brand only opted out because he and Davis made some sort of pact. Most of the FA maneuvering comes in June (illegally I guess you could say). And GS didn't have all this cap space b/c it was tied up to Davis, but then in a flash he forfeits his last yr becomes a FA, says all the right things about wanting to stay in GS, pretends to wait a day, so it doesn't look 100% fishy, then signs with LA. You can't convince me that Davis didn't get the offer from the Clippers BEFORE he opted out.

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 04:09:11 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
looks like we have a good old fashioned in state rivalry brewing. I think Brand would be perfect for the G-State system because of his rebounding and ability to finish.

Al Harrington or Stephen Jackson at the PF spot is better than Elton Brand for Nelly's system.
I think he would play more of the five in Nellie ball. He is a guy who can score on offensive rebounds and on poor rotations so he's perfect for the offense scoring without demanding the ball. But I could be wrong.

Actually, with the loss of Baron Davis...if the Warriors do indeed get Brand then they would have to change their offensive system and Brand would be a fine fit.

I am not sold on Monta Ellis leading a ball club....the kid is too gifted like an Allen Iverson, but a Steve Nash he is not.

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 04:11:38 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

It's similar aside from the fact that Lewis got every last dollar he possibly could, while Brand is leaving a small fortune on the table. I doubt that they were expecting Baron to jump right into a contract that far below market value.

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2008, 04:14:13 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker

Actually, with the loss of Baron Davis...if the Warriors do indeed get Brand then they would have to change their offensive system and Brand would be a fine fit.

I am not sold on Monta Ellis leading a ball club....the kid is too gifted like an Allen Iverson, but a Steve Nash he is not.

That's where former Clipper Shaun Livingston comes in... Or Pooh Richardson  ;D

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2008, 04:19:56 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

It's similar aside from the fact that Lewis got every last dollar he possibly could, while Brand is leaving a small fortune on the table. I doubt that they were expecting Baron to jump right into a contract that far below market value.
That's a good point.

That said I still don't believe Elton Brand walks away from the Clippers because there's no way he hasn't given them a promise. There's no way they sign Baron Davis that quickly without knowing Elton is going to sign.

It's extremely rare for NBA players and agents to walk away from oral agreements. That's why the Boozer situation was treated the way it was and why his agent resigned over the mess.

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2008, 04:21:50 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
It's an interesting development but I don't see Brand jumping ship.  I have to think that there was some agreement between Brand and Davis and I seriously doubt Brand would risk the PR nightmare that would ensue if he decided to bounce the Clippers and sign with Golden State.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2008, 04:41:25 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.

I agree with your main point (Brand turning it down) but disagree that the Warriors messed up.  The lead sports writer for the San Jose Mercury News, who I like a lot, has a strong feeling that Brand's agent choreographed the whole thing with the opt outs and Davis coming to the Clippers.  I think the Warriors might have really thought Baron might stay, and if not they had made a huge offer to Arenas.  It seems that as soon as those two options were gone, they jumped at Brand.

Which brings up another point... how can a team, the Celtics for instance, supposedly make offers to two different players, where if both were accepted the team would be illegally over the cap?  Can they just rescind an offer than easily if one player acts first?

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2008, 04:45:15 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Oh, and this whole situation reminds me of when my Vikings made a huge offer to Restricted FA Steve Hutchinson of the Seahawks a few year ago, which they couldn't match.... only for the Seahwaks to come back and make a similarly huge offer to Vikings FA Nate Burleson.  Lucky for me and the Vikings, Hutch is 10 times more valuable than Burleson.  Oh... and Baron is not as good as Hutch, and Brand is WAY better than Burleson... so if the result is the same, then the Warriors actually don't screw themselves the way the 'Hawks did.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2008, 04:47:01 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker

I agree with your main point (Brand turning it down) but disagree that the Warriors messed up.  The lead sports writer for the San Jose Mercury News, who I like a lot, has a strong feeling that Brand's agent choreographed the whole thing with the opt outs and Davis coming to the Clippers.  I think the Warriors might have really thought Baron might stay, and if not they had made a huge offer to Arenas.  It seems that as soon as those two options were gone, they jumped at Brand.

Which brings up another point... how can a team, the Celtics for instance, supposedly make offers to two different players, where if both were accepted the team would be illegally over the cap?  Can they just rescind an offer than easily if one player acts first?

Well I'm assuming both offers were for more than half of the MLE, so if one guy accepted and then the next guy did, the second contract wouldn't be valid.

What's interesting about GS and Davis, is that they were afraid to offer too much and too many yrs to Davis, based probably on age and injuries, but immediately opened up the bank on Arenas who I consider to be a similar risk. I don't think they ever thought they'd lose Davis for nothing, but I stand by my thought that this was arranged with the Clippers back in June.

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2008, 04:56:07 PM »

Offline MaineBleedsGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
Wow, so much drama, this is awesome. I think Brand stays in with the Clip when it's all said and done.