Author Topic: Maggette off the market???  (Read 13160 times)

Re: Maggette off the market???
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2008, 05:26:25 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
You would like, but he won't. What's his gain? He can make more money next season when he would face weaker competition in the FA market than in 2 years. Why would Maggette play for the MLE for the rest of his career? Maggette opted out of a above-MLE option; he's not taking the MLE for more time than necessary.
Given how the salary cap works, I am not sure what he can get from other teams. He claims he's tired of losing and that money is not everything, but contending teams will always be able to offer him a full MLE.

Yet reportedly he's asked the Clippers for a 11 million deal. I don't know whether he's getting that from anywhere or not. He opted out from a 7-million deal. That's not much more from the MLE, which is projected at 5.8 million this season. He's reportedly being offered a multi-year, MLE deal from the Spurs. I am not sure whether he has a particular reason to select the Spurs over the Celtics, but I don't see why we should be unable to offer the same that SA does, as far as money is concerned.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2008, 05:29:49 PM »

Offline MaineBleedsGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
SA offers both a good shot at a ring and a starting spot. 

You think Maggette is going to start in SA? I thought they were finally ready to usher in the ginoboli era? Parker, Ginoboli, Bowen, Duncan, Oberto/Thomas ... wouldn't Maggette be coming off the bench in that scenario? Would Ginoboli be able to take another year as the super sub? He lead the team in scoring in only 31 mins a game. Finley is certainly ready to be coming off the bench, but I see Ginoboli taking his place ... so then does Maggette take Bowen's place? I just don't see it.   

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2008, 05:36:15 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
What about Ross from the Clippers?

Ross would be a fantastic fit and at the right price! He's a long, excellent defender, with a good attitude and a solid mid range jump shot.

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2008, 05:42:47 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
You would like, but he won't. What's his gain? He can make more money next season when he would face weaker competition in the FA market than in 2 years. Why would Maggette play for the MLE for the rest of his career? Maggette opted out of a above-MLE option; he's not taking the MLE for more time than necessary.
Given how the salary cap works, I am not sure what he can get from other teams. He claims he's tired of losing and that money is not everything, but contending teams will always be able to offer him a full MLE.

Yet reportedly he's asked the Clippers for a 11 million deal. I don't know whether he's getting that from anywhere or not. He opted out from a 7-million deal. That's not much more from the MLE, which is projected at 5.8 million this season. He's reportedly being offered a multi-year, MLE deal from the Spurs. I am not sure whether he has a particular reason to select the Spurs over the Celtics, but I don't see why we should be unable to offer the same that SA does, as far as money is concerned.

The only reasons Maggette won't sign for more than the MLE this season are:
- only 2/3 teams are under the cap and none of them have place for him (Philly-Iggy; Memphis-saving room; maybe Atlanta - roster full of wingers)
- more important, the Davis to Clippers deal. This killed his chances of a S&T.

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2008, 05:56:45 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
There's a thing: as much as I like Posey, if you're looking for a player to offer the full MLE for 5 years to, Maggette is the better option.

Why? Maggette is 28, Posey is 31. Moreover, as much as I like Posey, he's strictly a complementary player. He might be one of the best complementary players in the league, but 3 years from now, Maggette can be asked to carry more load, and Posey can't.

Moreover, if we can get Maggette's head to be in the right place, we can use an athletic, experienced wing off the bench for 25-30 minutes a game. It's a tough decision to make, but that's what Ainge gets paid for. I remain extremely curious about what's going to happen.

Maggette is not signing a 5 year full MLE deal. He's looking for a situation similar to that of Posey last season. He miscalculated this time, but he can get a larger salary than the MLE next off-season. But for this season, he can find the same payment with less taxes, a bigger role, a chance of winning a ring and better individual stats in other places than Boston.

I understand where you're coming from on this one.  It doesn't make sense for Maggette to sign a max length MLE deal (he's much better than that), but I don't understand the reasoning saying he's looking for a Posey type situation from last year, because I don't see how Maggette taking less money for one year and putting up worse numbers in limited minutes will help him get more money in future years.  Everyone knows what Maggette can do, taking less money and putting up worse numbers (from being on stacked teams) won't help him get more money next year or any year.  Just winning a ring as a contributor (but not the main contributor) won't add multi-millions to your next contract, especially not for Maggette. Has any non All Star significantly increased his value just by winning a title one year (not talking a guy making $2M getting $4M, but talking about a non-All Star getting $8M+ just for proving you can be a winner)? None come to my mind right now, but it doesn't mean there aren't any, but  If he's signing a one year contract this year with hopes of a bigger contract next year, why wouldn't he just elect his player option for $8.4M to begin with and then see what the market is like next year?  Unless his plan is to win a ring this upcoming season, then sign for a big money contract with someone who has cap room next year but won't contend, maybe he thinks he can just get one ring and then concentrate on the money?  This just doesn't make sense to me.  Maybe Maggette realizes he stuck in the middle, he can make good money on a team that will never contend for a title, or he can be a MLE for the rest of his career and always be on a contender.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2008, 06:19:31 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I don't understand the reasoning saying he's looking for a Posey type situation from last year, because I don't see how Maggette taking less money for one year and putting up worse numbers in limited minutes will help him get more money in future years.  Everyone knows what Maggette can do
\

The point is that everyone knows what Maggette can do, so putting up lower numbers next season won't bother anyone but performing on a winning, championship contending team will raise Maggette's stature in the league.  Going deep into the playoffs next year with SA or Boston would greatly increase Maggette's chances of some team under the cap overpaying him like Orlando did with Rashard Lewis.

Frankly, the Clippers giving up his Bird-rights has really screwed Maggette.  His best bet for big money now is to go to a contending team, sign and MLE deal for two years with a player option and then hope he can get an extension from that team over the MLE after the option year.  But even then, he's probably going to miss out on millions he could have gotten otherwise.

Mike

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2008, 06:39:00 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
If he's signing a one year contract this year with hopes of a bigger contract next year, why wouldn't he just elect his player option for $8.4M to begin with and then see what the market is like next year?  Unless his plan is to win a ring this upcoming season, then sign for a big money contract with someone who has cap room next year but won't contend, maybe he thinks he can just get one ring and then concentrate on the money?  This just doesn't make sense to me.

He didn't exercise his player option because he didn't see the Davis to Clippers deal coming. As MBunge says, that screwed him. He never planned to leave to play for the MLE for a contending team in order to raise his stock, his plan was to be S&Ted with a raise in his salary and see if he could interest one of the teams under the cap. Now, his best option is to play for the MLE and try again a big contract next Summer, when more teams will be under the cap.

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2008, 06:43:23 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
it seems with the short list of free agents, and with the quick contract agreements with teams, the list of possible future celtics from fa is lookig mighty short. i really don't know which vet the celtics could really get right now.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2008, 06:54:45 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
If we can't sign him or Posey where does the MLE go?

I like the idea of giving the money to Mickael Pietrus

I like Pietrus too.  I think he'd be a great replacement for Posey defensively.

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2008, 08:07:09 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I don't understand the reasoning saying he's looking for a Posey type situation from last year, because I don't see how Maggette taking less money for one year and putting up worse numbers in limited minutes will help him get more money in future years.  Everyone knows what Maggette can do
\

The point is that everyone knows what Maggette can do, so putting up lower numbers next season won't bother anyone but performing on a winning, championship contending team will raise Maggette's stature in the league.  Going deep into the playoffs next year with SA or Boston would greatly increase Maggette's chances of some team under the cap overpaying him like Orlando did with Rashard Lewis.

Frankly, the Clippers giving up his Bird-rights has really screwed Maggette.  His best bet for big money now is to go to a contending team, sign and MLE deal for two years with a player option and then hope he can get an extension from that team over the MLE after the option year.  But even then, he's probably going to miss out on millions he could have gotten otherwise.

Mike

I disagree. You mentioned Rashard Lewis, but he never went far in the playoffs and got max money, I just think some teams viewed Rashard Lewis as having a higher ceiling (being 6'10" helps GM's to overvalue a player like Lewis IMO). I view it more like Jerry Stackhouse, here's a guy who wanted max money with the Pistons, averaged 30ppg, and still couldn't get max money.  Got traded (twice) and was happy to sign lesser deals/extensions with the Mavs because pretty much everyone in the past viewed Dallas as a perennial championship contender, and also because he realized he's stuck in a tough place, a skilled player that could be worth more, but due to the dynamics of the salary cap, it's very hard to get what you deserve($8-12M?) through free agency.  It seems like most teams go after guys for the max, and then sign everyone else to MLE.  The only way you're going to get more than that is by an extension from your current team or through a sign-and-trade.

If Maggette signs with the Spurs/Celtics, it would take a truly remarkable post season showing for Maggette to get anything more than he would get this year or next if he had not opted out.  I'm talking 30ppg in the Finals and completely shutting down Kobe or LeBron, which I don't see happening.  I just don't think a guy like Maggette can increase his value by settling for less now, he's in his prime, everyone know's what he can do, there's just nothing he can really do to increase his value anymore.  Even if Maggette wins a championship next year, his value will still be the same around the league, IMO.

If everyone knows what Maggette can do, his value won't increase by doing less but winning a championship.  I just don't see it happening, just my opinion though, I guess yours is different.

I agree on the Bird rights though, that's really hurting Maggette.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2008, 08:29:27 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I hope he does sign with another team.  As much as he sounds good from a video game/fantasy perspective, I don't see him as the right fit here.  It'd be hard to get him minutes and his strength of scoring isn't exactly what this team needs.  If he somehow ends up here, I won't be disappointed, but I think Posey fits this team better.  He helps with spacing and team defense better than Maggette ever will. 

Plus, I can't blame Corey.  Bowen's getting older, so minutes should be more readily available at the 3.  Plus, if Pop elects to keep Manu as the 6th man, he'll probably start at the 2.  Wasn't going to happen here. 

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2008, 09:48:16 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
http://www.ole.clarin.com/notas/2008/07/02/basquet/01706524.html

Spurs offer Carlos Delfino 2 years deal. His agent says he's looking for a 3 years deal.