Author Topic: Maggette off the market???  (Read 13164 times)

Re: Maggette off the market???
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 03:15:00 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
What about Ross from the Clippers?

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 03:15:38 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
i expected this. although nothing is set in stone. my #1 option was always posey. we need to go all out now to secure his signature.

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 03:16:32 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Hoopsworld isn't always 100% reliable, but San Antonio is definitely perceived as where he's going to end up.

Yeah, it seems like they read that yahoo.com article and made their own conclusions. At the moment, I don't figure Corey making a decision so soon. I don't know.

Yeah, I would expect him to wait and see if Philly and/or Golden State makes an offer first.  Who knows what has been said behind the scenes, though.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 03:17:09 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Right now, the Spurs are the most likely destination for Maggette.  He can be a starter on what should theoretically be a title contender.  But there's absolutely no reason for Mags to sign right away, as long as there are still teams out there with some cap room.

Mike

What's SA's cap situation? Are they over the cap? Who gets max money from them Duncan, Ginobili and Parker or not all three?
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 03:24:30 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Just something to look at from Maggette's perspective, the Western Conference is shaping up to be another dogfight.  If anything, its going to be more of a battle this upcoming season than last season.  Portland's still getting better, Clippers have improved, things are gonna be tough over there.

On the other hand, East still looks like the easier road to the Finals.  Toronto has improved themselves (Depending on O'Neal's health) but you look at the other contenders (Cleveland and Detroit) and not much has gone down yet.  Celtics still look in excellent shape to come out of there.

If he wants the ring, playing for a East contender might be the safer.

Of course, this proceeding post contains some slight green bias.   ;D

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2008, 03:26:50 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
That is pure speculation to me. It doesn't even mentioned that we have offered him a contract, and therefore shouldn't be taken seriously.

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 03:27:29 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I dont buy this. Maggette said he'd be willing to take a pay cut to play in Boston and I'd think he would take the Celtics MLE over the Spurs MLE. But really I dont see him taking any MLE at all and trying to sign a bigger contract with the Sixers or Memphis. Possibly even a return to the clippers if Brand takes the max in Golden State.

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 03:30:28 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
What's SA's cap situation? Are they over the cap? Who gets max money from them Duncan, Ginobili and Parker or not all three?

I believe SA is just barely over the cap for next season, but that's with only 9 players under contract.  I think Duncan has a max deal, but Park and Manu are roughly half-max.

Frankly, Boston's farther over the cap but in much better shape with Rondo, Perk and our good but short bigs Powe and BBD to go with PGA.  SA really has more holes to fill if they want to compete for another ring.

Mike

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2008, 03:36:32 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
SA offers both a good shot at a ring and a starting spot. 

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2008, 04:05:42 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
We don't need Corey Maggette.

We need Posey or some player of his ilk.

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2008, 04:10:08 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Green 18!
SA offers both a good shot at a ring and a starting spot. 

Their shot at a ring is much lower than ours. They're in the West. Here he could be the primary scoring option on the second unit and be the 6th man. In San Antonio he would only be the 4th option.

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2008, 04:34:49 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
There's a thing: as much as I like Posey, if you're looking for a player to offer the full MLE for 5 years to, Maggette is the better option.

Why? Maggette is 28, Posey is 31. Moreover, as much as I like Posey, he's strictly a complementary player. He might be one of the best complementary players in the league, but 3 years from now, Maggette can be asked to carry more load, and Posey can't.

Moreover, if we can get Maggette's head to be in the right place, we can use an athletic, experienced wing off the bench for 25-30 minutes a game. It's a tough decision to make, but that's what Ainge gets paid for. I remain extremely curious about what's going to happen.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2008, 04:49:06 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
There's a thing: as much as I like Posey, if you're looking for a player to offer the full MLE for 5 years to, Maggette is the better option.

Why? Maggette is 28, Posey is 31. Moreover, as much as I like Posey, he's strictly a complementary player. He might be one of the best complementary players in the league, but 3 years from now, Maggette can be asked to carry more load, and Posey can't.

Moreover, if we can get Maggette's head to be in the right place, we can use an athletic, experienced wing off the bench for 25-30 minutes a game. It's a tough decision to make, but that's what Ainge gets paid for. I remain extremely curious about what's going to happen.

Maggette is not signing a 5 year full MLE deal. He's looking for a situation similar to that of Posey last season. He miscalculated this time, but he can get a larger salary than the MLE next off-season. But for this season, he can find the same payment with less taxes, a bigger role, a chance of winning a ring and better individual stats in other places than Boston.

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2008, 04:54:14 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Green 18!

Maggette is not signing a 5 year full MLE deal. He's looking for a situation similar to that of Posey last season. He miscalculated this time, but he can get a larger salary than the MLE next off-season. But for this season, he can find the same payment with less taxes, a bigger role, a chance of winning a ring and better individual stats in other places than Boston.

I would really like to sign Maggette to a 3-tear, full MLE contract, with the 3rd year as the player's option. It's very hard to go after a backup SF after each season, and Maggette would take that deal considering the fact that at 30 (or 31), when his contract is up, he can still get the full MLE just like Posey.

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2008, 05:17:45 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

I would really like to sign Maggette to a 3-tear, full MLE contract, with the 3rd year as the player's option. It's very hard to go after a backup SF after each season, and Maggette would take that deal considering the fact that at 30 (or 31), when his contract is up, he can still get the full MLE just like Posey.

You would like, but he won't. What's his gain? He can make more money next season when he would face weaker competition in the FA market than in 2 years. Why would Maggette play for the MLE for the rest of his career? Maggette opted out of a above-MLE option; he's not taking the MLE for more time than necessary.