Author Topic: Posey talkinq to lakers?.?  (Read 19862 times)

Re: Posey talkinq to lakers?.?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 02:47:08 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Is there a link or anything here?
http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers2-2008jul02,0,4362357.story

The Lakers have talked with representatives of Boston small forward James Posey and veteran San Antonio sharpshooter Brent Barry to gauge the free agents' interest.

Posey, a key reserve for the Celtics, is expected to draw the full mid-level exception of five years and about $30 million, though the Celtics have said they consider signing him an off-season priority.

Posey, though, is studying his options, primarily on championship contenders that include the Lakers, said his agent, Mark Bartelstein.

"I would say so," Bartelstein said. "When you get a taste of a championship, you want to keep winning them. The Lakers are a great team."

Thanks, TP...

Man...talk about leverage. Mark Bartelstein is one cold blooded motha- shut yo mouth...

But Im talkin bout Bartelstein...

TP for the Shaft reference
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 04:54:36 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
Why would Corey agree to take a paycut for 5 straight years of his prime?  That would be foolish.  If he comes here, it will be no longer than a 2 year deal.

So he wants to be a free agent the same year Lebron and company are?   I can easily see him taking a 5 year, MLE deal with San Antonio.

The tax benefits and cost of living adjustment makes it a very viable move.    He plays for a competitor and locks up his home address for a while. 

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 05:03:29 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Why would Corey agree to take a paycut for 5 straight years of his prime?  That would be foolish.  If he comes here, it will be no longer than a 2 year deal.

So he wants to be a free agent the same year Lebron and company are?   I can easily see him taking a 5 year, MLE deal with San Antonio.

The tax benefits and cost of living adjustment makes it a very viable move.    He plays for a competitor and locks up his home address for a while. 

No, he wants to be a free agent next off-season. He's going to sign a 1 year deal + player option for another one (Just to protect himself in case of injury).

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 05:04:28 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
if poseys talkinq to the lakers and siqns with them...i will str8 up lose my respect for him.I love posey but [dang] pose... to the rival lakers?.  ??? why!!!!

I'm sure your respect for him going up or down is keeping him up at night.

Look, i hate to break it to 80% of boston sports fans, but players don't hate the other teams. I knoe you do, but these are professionals, in their work enviorment. they respect each other, and they try to look for the best job situation, just like you do.

If the lakers somehow end up with the best offer, posey isn't obligated to consider how "x from quincy" will see him before doing whats best for him and his family.

I hate this "OMG WHAT A LOSERSSRSARARAWRus!" attitude from a high percentage of sports fans, its so childish and out of touch with reality.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 05:08:49 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

No, he wants to be a free agent next off-season. He's going to sign a 1 year deal + player option for another one (Just to protect himself in case of injury).
I'm confused

Has Corey Maggette done this or this something you think he should/would like to do?
Has there been any indication that this is what he will actually do?

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2008, 05:41:24 PM »

Offline MaineBleedsGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
It doesn't surprise me ... look, I know it's difficult to deal with, but if your girl is talking to another guy at the bar, you can't get jealous, maybe she needs a self-esteem boost, to know other guys are still interested. Maybe he instigated it and she's just being nice, cause she thinks he's cute, or knows his friend. Sure it's not fun, but if she comes back and nothing happened then its great and you've got an outstanding relationship, if she leaves with that guy then good, cause you don't want a girl like that around anyway.

I know it's not the same, but that's the first thing that came to my head.

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 05:45:10 PM »

Offline RedsCeltics34

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 45
  • Lets Go Celtics!
It doesn't surprise me ... look, I know it's difficult to deal with, but if your girl is talking to another guy at the bar, you can't get jealous, maybe she needs a self-esteem boost, to know other guys are still interested. Maybe he instigated it and she's just being nice, cause she thinks he's cute, or knows his friend. Sure it's not fun, but if she comes back and nothing happened then its great and you've got an outstanding relationship, if she leaves with that guy then good, cause you don't want a girl like that around anyway.

I know it's not the same, but that's the first thing that came to my head.

Hahaha well put maine.

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 05:50:13 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
if poseys talkinq to the lakers and siqns with them...i will str8 up lose my respect for him.I love posey but [dang] pose... to the rival lakers?.  ??? why!!!!

I'm sure your respect for him going up or down is keeping him up at night.

Look, i hate to break it to 80% of boston sports fans, but players don't hate the other teams. I knoe you do, but these are professionals, in their work enviorment. they respect each other, and they try to look for the best job situation, just like you do.

If the lakers somehow end up with the best offer, posey isn't obligated to consider how "x from quincy" will see him before doing whats best for him and his family.

I hate this "OMG WHAT A LOSERSSRSARARAWRus!" attitude from a high percentage of sports fans, its so childish and out of touch with reality.

Well said Crownsy! TP to you... If players acted like fans, then PP would have never re-upped with us. He would have went straight to the Lakers after his contract was up. He grew up HATING the Celtics!

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2008, 05:54:52 PM »

Offline SamuelAdams

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
Oh, I hate the idea as well but James deserves to get PAID. I hope he stays with us but the man earned his day in the sun.  Even if he goes to the Fakers, I will remember his glory with us forever.

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2008, 05:56:35 PM »

Offline Larry Legend

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
I love Posey even more than the next guy on this board (I sport a posey T shirt to every game), and I understand the desire to have him back. What I don't understand is why anyone is surprised he's talking to the Lakers, Pistons, Cavs, or anything like that.  This is all a business of course, and lets not forget Posey was here all of 1 year.  This isn't exactly like watching Larry Bird sign with the Lakers, folks.  

If Posey signs elsewhere, I'll thank him for the year and be sure to buy tickets for whenever he's back in town to show him how much I appreciated him here... regardless of who he signs with.

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2008, 06:05:20 PM »

Offline Bozo

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
Frankly, if Danny was running the Lakers, he would go after Posey.  Not only for what he offers, but because he would be a key minus from the team you are likely to face again for the ring. 

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2008, 06:15:02 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
TP for Maine.

My take on Posey - it's looking increasingly likely somebody will overpay for him. Overpaying Posey, to me, is giving him more than 3 years at the full MLE. He's crucial to the team, but they have to look at it from a business perspective - with all the money they're paying now and the need to retool in probably 3-4 years, do you want to be stuck paying Posey 7 million when he's 35? Personally, I would do that, I think you have to strike while the iron is hot. THere's no telling if we will be able to retool a couple years down the road, but we know we can win now, so let's not take out a crucial part of what got us Banner 17.

Now, despite my personal opinion, I don't think Danny will go beyond 3 years of the full MLE. I think he'd give Posey 5 years if he'd stay on non-Bird rights. But if somebody offers him 4 or 5 years starting at the full MLE, they're overpaying, and he'll have to take that amount, either from whoever's offering to overpay or from Boston. Why? Because he'd be dumb not to wrap up a 5 year, $32 million or 4 year, $26 million deal when the Celtics will only give him $22 million for 5 years (non-Bird) or 3 years (full MLE). Somebody will pony up for a 4th year at the full MLE, meaning we have to give him a 4th year. And when he could get 26 for 4 years, why would he take $22 for 5? That offer, which was my hope, will not work out.

To get him back, we'll probably have to give him the 4th year, the only hope is we ask him to leave enough of the MLE to sign Bill Walker, then he gets the remainder. That would work out to a 4 year deal starting at around $5 million (about $22.5 million total). He might take that to stay in Boston. If somebody goes for 5 years, though, we might have to let him walk. I really don't want to see that happen.

Maggette will command and receive 5 year full MLE offers. He is probably worth it - he's a legit 20 ppg player and is a few years younger than Posey. He doesn't have the D, but probably has more talent. My guess, though, is that he waits to see what the 76ers and Warriors might offer him with their cap space before deciding what to do. If he doesn't get that offer, I think he'd be more likely to go to San Antonio or even the Lakers than to come here - the small forward position is wide open in those two cities, and he can step into a starting role with a proven winning team, something that will drive his value up for next year or the year after. He could drive value up by contributing here, too, but it would likely be as a Sixth Man which gives him less of a boost in terms of league valuation.

I agree with cordobes, I think he'd pull a Posey from last year and take a 2 year deal with an opt out clause so he can get back to free agency the following year and look for a little more dough.

Interesting, it's possible we could have avoided this problem had we used the LLE instead of the MLE last year to sign Pruitt. If we had given that $650,000 of MLE money to Posey instead, we'd be able to offer him a non-Bird contract starting at $4.625 mil instead of $3.85. With 4-5 years starting at 4.625, Posey might agree to stay here and let us keep the MLE, since it's only about a million less per year and a fifth year would even it all out. But there's no way he takes close to 2 million less per year on a long term deal. So not using the LLE last year gave us $1.7 or 1.8 mil extra to play with this year, but may end up costing us the $5.5 mil MLE. Obviously there was no way to know just how well Posey would work out, and I don't blame Danny for doing things that way, but it's interesting nonetheless.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2008, 06:17:37 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
It makes sense that Posey's agent is using the Lakers for leverage. I doubt he signs there though. I can't imagine him giving the Mamba big ol' man hugs before each game.

I have a feeling the market for him might be smaller than expected. Just a gut feeling.

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2008, 06:24:35 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I can see the Lakers signing Posey but then what do they do with Walton, Radmonovich, Ariza and Odom who are all under contract. Thats a lot of small forwards. Of course, Walton and Radmonovich stink and Odom is really overpaid but the fact remains the Lakers are stuck with them.

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2008, 06:25:03 PM »

Offline Steve from Milford

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
According to Danny, he has not yet actually offered a deal to Maggette.