Author Topic: Posey talkinq to lakers?.?  (Read 19849 times)

Posey talkinq to lakers?.?
« on: July 02, 2008, 01:44:11 PM »

Offline WEnotME5

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
if poseys talkinq to the lakers and siqns with them...i will str8 up lose my respect for him.I love posey but [dang] pose... to the rival lakers?.  ??? why!!!!

Re: Posey talkinq to lakers?.?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 01:47:00 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Is there a link or anything here?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 01:49:58 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Clearly if moves, this is the reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otko90VmHl8

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 01:55:16 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers2-2008jul02,0,4362357.story

The Lakers have talked with representatives of Boston small forward James Posey and veteran San Antonio sharpshooter Brent Barry to gauge the free agents' interest.

Posey, a key reserve for the Celtics, is expected to draw the full mid-level exception of five years and about $30 million, though the Celtics have said they consider signing him an off-season priority.

Posey, though, is studying his options, primarily on championship contenders that include the Lakers, said his agent, Mark Bartelstein.

"I would say so," Bartelstein said. "When you get a taste of a championship, you want to keep winning them. The Lakers are a great team."

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 01:59:42 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Well, he must be talking to almost every contending team in the league. I don't see a problem here.

With that being said, I don't think he'll sign with the Lakers unless they trade someone. They already have too many SFs in that roster.

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 01:59:51 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers2-2008jul02,0,4362357.story

The Lakers have talked with representatives of Boston small forward James Posey and veteran San Antonio sharpshooter Brent Barry to gauge the free agents' interest.

Posey, a key reserve for the Celtics, is expected to draw the full mid-level exception of five years and about $30 million, though the Celtics have said they consider signing him an off-season priority.

Posey, though, is studying his options, primarily on championship contenders that include the Lakers, said his agent, Mark Bartelstein.

"I would say so," Bartelstein said. "When you get a taste of a championship, you want to keep winning them. The Lakers are a great team."

Thanks, TP...

Man...talk about leverage. Mark Bartelstein is one cold blooded motha- shut yo mouth...

But Im talkin bout Bartelstein...

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 02:01:05 PM »

Offline munjman

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
Clearly if moves, this is the reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otko90VmHl8

WOW, I can't believe you managed to get that stupid jingle in my head

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 02:02:12 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
He's probably irked that we most likely offered Maggette more money as his replacement so that'd probably be reason enough for Pose to try and spite Danny and the management.

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 02:03:17 PM »

Offline michael32951

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 0
I can't imagine Posey playing for coach Kobe

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 02:05:21 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'll feel like Posey is cheating on us when I see him giving manhugs to Kobe prior to every game. 

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 02:08:52 PM »

Offline fan33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 5
Of course he is "talking" to those who have expressed interest; Firstly, to gauge his contract worth by comparatives and differences. A good agent would not be serving him well not to give him this advise. Only then can he make a sound judgement for his future. I for one, wish him well in whatever he so chooses.
 Although I would love to see him play here again for another ring, I'll never forget his year here and rooting many times for him and being rewarded for doing so! Yet if he chooses differently, I would also like to see our Celtics play against his team for the Championship! I don't think Koby allows hugs, though  ;)

Basicly, it comes down to how many years his contract offering is, I think. I can see L.A. wanting to take him away from the Celtics, if they can, and may offer him a 4 yr contract to what I'll assume is the Celtics 3 yr offering, unless D.A. only offered him a 2yr, which is something we just don't know, and which maybe something that would have p---ed James off while they offered 4 years to Corey for the MLE... That maybe something we may never know...
"Indefatigable on Defense, defines these Celtics"

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 02:10:22 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
The more I think about this the more I see Posey going to the Fakers.

A)The Celtics likely offered Maggette a longer deal then
  Posey which likely won't sit well with him

B)The Lakers can offer him a starting role

C) If the Lakers offer him 4 years he takes it

D) This will make the Rivalry bitter

E) WE BETTER SIGN MAGGETTE OR WE ARE SCREWED!!

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 02:30:24 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Maggette does not want a long-term deal at the MLE.  He's clearly worth more than that, but this is a particularly tough FA market for him.  The teams that have cap room don't look to be particularly interested in him.  So, if he signs for the MLE it will be, he's going to want it to be a Posey-like 1 year with a player option.

The Spurs would probably be the best short-term option, but Boston could conceivably offer him a huge contract extension after his player option year when Ray's contract expires.

Mike

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 02:36:16 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Maggette does not want a long-term deal at the MLE.  He's clearly worth more than that, but this is a particularly tough FA market for him.  The teams that have cap room don't look to be particularly interested in him.  So, if he signs for the MLE it will be, he's going to want it to be a Posey-like 1 year with a player option.

The Spurs would probably be the best short-term option, but Boston could conceivably offer him a huge contract extension after his player option year when Ray's contract expires.

Mike

yep.

Why would Corey agree to take a paycut for 5 straight years of his prime?  That would be foolish.  If he comes here, it will be no longer than a 2 year deal.

Likely the same 2 year deal that Ainge started discussions with Posey over.

Ainge needed some way to gain leverage over Posey's agent, and this is it.  Had Ainge not brought CM into the conversation, he would be forced to give him the full 5 years to keep him.

My prediction: we end up coming to terms with Posey for 4 yrs at full MLE.

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 02:40:26 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
The Lakers first choice is to trade for Artest, if Posey signs there I'm not so sure he starts, they may shift Odom and Gasol down and insert Bynum at the Center. They could end up in a situation where they have too many starters, not a bad problem, until the owner looks at his bank account and realizes he is paying a lot for bench players.