Author Topic: Salary Cap for 2008/2009  (Read 4818 times)

Salary Cap for 2008/2009
« on: July 01, 2008, 09:07:15 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819
Was wondering if anyone has a figure for the projected Salary Cap this entering season. I know it hasn't been decided yet, but someone should have a projected figure around.

While we are at it, do you guys know a good up-to-date site with current total salary the team has, including the impact of their free-agents on the salary cap?

I usually use hoopshype, but it doesn't take into account the above, and their salary figures are misleading.

Thanks.

Re: Salary Cap for 2008/2009
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 09:09:36 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
well it was 55.6 mil last year so probably around 58 mil  I  would say

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 09:11:39 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
well it was 55.6 mil last year so probably around 58 mil  I  would say

That's what I figure, about 57-58 million.

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 09:18:44 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Was wondering if anyone has a figure for the projected Salary Cap this entering season. I know it hasn't been decided yet, but someone should have a projected figure around.

While we are at it, do you guys know a good up-to-date site with current total salary the team has, including the impact of their free-agents on the salary cap?

I usually use hoopshype, but it doesn't take into account the above, and their salary figures are misleading.

Thanks.

I agree with the $58M assumption.

For salaries, both these sites are better than hoopshype, IMO:

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/index.jsp ( my fav)

http://www.eskimo.com/%7Epbender/misc/salaries08.txt

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 09:24:53 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Thanks.

I agree with the $58M assumption.

For salaries, both these sites are better than hoopshype, IMO:

http://www.eskimo.com/%7Epbender/misc/salaries08.txt

Awesome. Thanks, tp.

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 09:27:45 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Nice job posting this.  TP.  I like this one, although I think it could mislead people in some circumstances unless they click on the "additional notes" link.  The site shows team payroll, rather than actual player salaries.

(i.e., Pollard was paid $1.2 million last year.  However, the Celtics paid $770,610 of that.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 09:34:40 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Nice job posting this.  TP.  I like this one, although I think it could mislead people in some circumstances unless they click on the "additional notes" link.  The site shows team payroll, rather than actual player salaries.

(i.e., Pollard was paid $1.2 million last year.  However, the Celtics paid $770,610 of that.)

Yep, now let's see how long it takes them to incorporate unsigned draft picks (first round only right?) to the equation.

I just want try and get a list of teams that are under the cap and estimate their "buying power" of sorts. I don't know if anyone around is willing to go through the trouble.

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 09:39:04 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Yep, now let's see how long it takes them to incorporate unsigned draft picks (first round only right?) to the equation.

I just want try and get a list of teams that are under the cap and estimate their "buying power" of sorts. I don't know if anyone around is willing to go through the trouble.

Probably not, especially since a real analysis of this would have to factor in "cap holds".

I think really, the most simple way to look at free agency this year is that Memphis has around $15 million, Philly is around $11 - $12 million, and nobody else has anything unless they let their own guys walk (i.e., the Clippers with Maggette.  I'm actually curious to see how Brand is affected by this, as well, if at all.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 09:42:11 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Probably not, especially since a real analysis of this would have to factor in "cap holds".

I think really, the most simple way to look at free agency this year is that Memphis has around $15 million, Philly is around $11 - $12 million, and nobody else has anything unless they let their own guys walk (i.e., the Clippers with Maggette.  I'm actually curious to see how Brand is affected by this, as well, if at all.)

I'm looking at Chicago currently. Chicago could renounce their rights to Gordon and be able to sign Maggette with a decent offer, for example, right?

But then we have to factor in Rose... I just don't know.

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 09:49:39 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

I'm looking at Chicago currently. Chicago could renounce their rights to Gordon and be able to sign Maggette with a decent offer, for example, right?

I was just going to respond that you were overlooking Rose's salary, which will be in excess of $5 million.  Looks like you edited your post.  8)

Plus, I think Deng has a fairly healthy cap hold.  If I'm reading Larry Coon correctly, the hold is 300% of his previous salary, or right around $10 million.

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 09:52:08 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

I was just going to respond that you were overlooking Rose's salary, which will be in excess of $5 million.  Looks like you edited your post.  8)

Plus, I think Deng has a fairly healthy cap hold.  If I'm reading Larry Coon correctly, the hold is 300% of his previous salary, or right around $10 million.

Wasn't going to read much of it today... hurt my brain a bit yesterday making sense of Garnett. Today is rest day.

But wow, 300%. Looks like it's as you said... not many teams should have more than the MLE.

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 11:05:27 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

Brand will resign with the Clippers. The only way they can sign Davis is by signing Brand first, in order to clean his cap holds.