Author Topic: Baron Davis A Clipper  (Read 16327 times)

Re: Baron Davis A Clipper
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2008, 09:40:38 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
don't get this - if baron didn't even take max money, why in god's name didn't golden state extend him? i know there's always knee concerns with baron, but he's done okay in that department for a few seasons now. this definitely prices maggette out of LA - question is, can he get more than the MLE anywhere? if not, we might be able to get him. no idea what that means with posey, though.

any use of the midlevel exception on CM would mean no posey, plain and simple.

unless we get posey back for the non-bird exception, which if the money davis got is any indication of the market this summer, it's possible

if reports out of the first day are even 50% accurate, pose has at least 6 offers already from teams with the MLE. he's not going to take 2 or 3 million less so we can sign CM.

first of all that's a big "if". second, we have no idea how many years those teams offered him. 3 years at the MLE and 5 at the non-bird exception don't end up that far apart in terms of money, and I think posey understands that in 3 years teams aren't going to be offering him another 2 years at MLE money.

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2008, 09:42:35 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
don't get this - if baron didn't even take max money, why in god's name didn't golden state extend him? i know there's always knee concerns with baron, but he's done okay in that department for a few seasons now. this definitely prices maggette out of LA - question is, can he get more than the MLE anywhere? if not, we might be able to get him. no idea what that means with posey, though.

unless we get posey back for the non-bird exception, which if the money davis got is any indication of the market this summer, it's possible

if reports out of the first day are even 50% accurate, pose has at least 6 offers already from teams with the MLE. he's not going to take 2 or 3 million less so we can sign CM.

Those MLE offers, are for how many years? If you're a 31 years old defensive player, would you take a 2 year/full-MLE ($12M) or a 5year/non-Bird exception deal ($22.5M)?

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2008, 09:47:34 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Those MLE offers, are for how many years? If you're a 31 years old defensive player, would you take a 2 year/full-MLE ($12M) or a 5year/non-Bird exception deal ($22.5M)?

Ill bet you 100 TP's at least one of the 8 teams has offered at least 4 years of their MLE, probably Cleavland. A lineup of PG/Posey/Lebron/Wallace/Z would be pretty money.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2008, 09:52:07 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Ill bet you 100 TP's at least one of the 8 teams has offered at least 4 years of their MLE, probably Cleavland. A lineup of PG/Posey/Lebron/Wallace/Z would be pretty money.

I don't think cleveland is dumb enough to lock themselves up with that kind of a contract for posey, considering they already have wally and big ben's deals, and lebron may be jumping ship, so why would they want to handicap themselves for a slim chance at reaching the finals next year?

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2008, 09:54:45 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

I don't think cleveland is dumb enough to lock themselves up with that kind of a contract for posey, considering they already have wally and big ben's deals, and lebron may be jumping ship, so why would they want to handicap themselves for a slim chance at reaching the finals next year?

I stand by my prediction that one or more of those teams has 4 offered.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2008, 10:01:20 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

I don't think there's a correlation. Posey is looking for a MLE deal. And Baron is getting a nice contract, it's not like he's going to make $13M every year. But it doesn't matter, the fact that there aren't many teams with cap space doesn't mean nothing when it comes to the MLE.

Baron's getting relative crap. If you consider that he was going to be getting $18M this year, he signed waht amounts to whet he'd have made this year and a 4 year $48M extension. Pierce's (current) extension is for almost $20M a year.

Mullin was offering him a 3/37 extension. Also, he goes back to LA and plays for a contender.

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2008, 10:03:37 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

I don't think there's a correlation. Posey is looking for a MLE deal. And Baron is getting a nice contract, it's not like he's going to make $13M every year. But it doesn't matter, the fact that there aren't many teams with cap space doesn't mean nothing when it comes to the MLE.

Baron's getting relative crap. If you consider that he was going to be getting $18M this year, he signed waht amounts to whet he'd have made this year and a 4 year $48M extension. Pierce's (current) extension is for almost $20M a year.

exactly, Baron got hosed on that deal. It means that either he really, really wanted to play for the clips, or that teams aren't willing to pay big $$ for star players because they are waiting for 2010, in which case they aren't going to be throwing 4-5 year MLE offers at an aging defensive bench player naked Posey either.

He got a better deal than Mullin was offering him. Plus, it doesn't matter if teams are willing to pay or not - simply there aren't teams with cap-space. But there are plenty of teams with the MLE and not every team is clearing space for 2010 - none of the current contenders are.

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2008, 10:04:00 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

maybe you're right. Myself, I believe that those offers are similar to our our offer to Maggette, meaning let's at least try by offering him what other's are offering and see if we can talk him into coming to our team, if not, no big deal. I also think many of these reported offers are coming from agents who want to raise the value of their client. Maybe he did get 6 offers today, but I believe it was more like 2 offers and none were for more than 3 years. It's more likely that there are 6 teams total considering whether or not to make him an offer. Nothing against posey or his value, I think very highly of him and am hoping we can re-sign him.

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2008, 10:18:30 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

maybe you're right. Myself, I believe that those offers are similar to our our offer to Maggette, meaning let's at least try by offering him what other's are offering and see if we can talk him into coming to our team, if not, no big deal. I also think many of these reported offers are coming from agents who want to raise the value of their client. Maybe he did get 6 offers today, but I believe it was more like 2 offers and none were for more than 3 years. It's more likely that there are 6 teams total considering whether or not to make him an offer. Nothing against posey or his value, I think very highly of him and am hoping we can re-sign him.

well, theres no mabey they had a list of the 8 teams in the globe, just not the terms.

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2008, 10:24:42 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
baron to the clippers really doesn't phase me much. i don't feel that it'll have much effect on the celtics. i really don't think posey will be back this year. corey is a great player, but i don't think he fills the role of posey all that well- especially of off court stuff like the hugs and stuff. corey op'd out because he felt he was underpaid and felt like he was a full fledged starter... well that won't happen if he signs with the celtics. therefore u have an unhappy teammate comming to boston (if he comes) because he made a stupid financial decision. plus the guy is 6'6" and will basically be a backup sf... we need more help on the front lines- a center! the guy's not ready to be a role player.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2008, 10:25:56 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
baron to the clippers really doesn't phase me much. i don't feel that it'll have much effect on the celtics. i really don't think posey will be back this year. corey is a great player, but i don't think he fills the role of posey all that well- especially of off court stuff like the hugs and stuff. corey op'd out because he felt he was underpaid and felt like he was a full fledged starter... well that won't happen if he signs with the celtics. therefore u have an unhappy teammate comming to boston (if he comes) because he made a stupid financial decision. plus the guy is 6'6" and will basically be a backup sf... we need more help on the front lines- a center!

Well it could have an effect if they decide to try and add Posey at the MLE.

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2008, 10:29:05 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Elgin Baylor making good moves? Who knew it was possible. The west has so many good teams its scary.

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2008, 10:30:53 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

well, theres no mabey they had a list of the 8 teams in the globe, just not the terms.

there is nothing in the globe stating that he got 8 offers, just that teams are interested in him

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2008, 10:33:05 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
it says those 8 teams "submitted offers" i didn't see whats unclear about it.

the main point is, no way are we getting posey back for 2 years, as has been suggested in this thread. it will have to be 4 IMO.

we'll see in about 7 days.

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2008, 10:38:43 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
it says those 8 teams "submitted offers" i didn't see whats unclear about it.

the main point is, no way are we getting posey back for 2 years, as has been suggested in this thread. it will have to be 4 IMO.

we'll see in about 7 days.

maybe it's there and I missed it, I looked through the globe's website and I couldn't find it. anyway, I don't think we can get him back for a two year deal either, I predict we get him at 5 years for the non-bird exception, and he retires as a celtic and possibly get's his number up in the rafters one day.Good argument from you, TP for your solid reasons.