Author Topic: Baron Davis A Clipper  (Read 16329 times)

Re: Baron Davis A Clipper
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 09:06:25 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I'm amazed that he signed for only $13mil per annum. That contract gives the Clippers nice flexibility to add another piece in years ahead when you consider Kaman is on a great deal too.

He was scheduled for $17.8mil without opting out.

The Clippers not only signed him but they got a brilliant deal. $13mil.

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 09:08:40 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
don't get this - if baron didn't even take max money, why in god's name didn't golden state extend him? i know there's always knee concerns with baron, but he's done okay in that department for a few seasons now. this definitely prices maggette out of LA - question is, can he get more than the MLE anywhere? if not, we might be able to get him. no idea what that means with posey, though.

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 09:09:48 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Assuming they resign Brand, Baron, Brand, Kaman and Thorton is a nice core group.

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 09:10:08 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I'm amazed that he signed for only $13mil per annum. That contract gives the Clippers nice flexibility to add another piece in years ahead when you consider Kaman is on a great deal too.

Yeah, but that's why I've said it would be easy for the Clippers to offer good deals to both Brand and Davis: long contracts with max annual increases - backloaded. This is why it's so good to have cap space.

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2008, 09:11:11 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703

yes, excellent deal for the clips. hopefully this sets a standard on the value of free agents this summer, allowing us to get posey back for reasonable $$

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2008, 09:11:34 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
don't get this - if baron didn't even take max money, why in god's name didn't golden state extend him? i know there's always knee concerns with baron, but he's done okay in that department for a few seasons now. this definitely prices maggette out of LA - question is, can he get more than the MLE anywhere? if not, we might be able to get him. no idea what that means with posey, though.

any use of the midlevel exception on CM would mean no posey, plain and simple.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2008, 09:12:50 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
The Warriors offered a max deal to Arenas.  That had to be a factor in Baron's decision, right?  Why would GS immediately offer that to Gilbert rather than negotiate an extension with Baron?  They must have been ready to part ways with him, that's why.

I think this is going to backfire on Mullin.  One of the biggest mistakes a GM can make is to let key free agents leave without getting anything in return.  Sure, he's got cap room now.  But if he can't lure a star in there to replace B-Diddy, then he's done.  Like the "Chris Wallace trading for Gin Baker" kind of done.  Wow. 
Mullin screwed up his team a few years ago with the Dunleavy, Foyle, Richardson and Murphy contracts. He did great work bailing himself out with the Baron trade and the Jackson/Harrington deal.

But he looks like he's ruining his team all over again. The J-Rich trade from a year ago was a disaster from the moment it was announced. He just used back-to-back lottery picks on identical raw high bust potential power forwards. He let his best player walk without compensation. Two huge contract extensions to be negotiated with Monta and Biedrins which is unlikely to look favourably on whatever GM signs them because they're both incredibly difficult to price.

In 12 months his team went from an up and coming squad with great trade assets to a team that couldn't piece together a deal to a team in full-blown rebuilding mode.

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2008, 09:14:00 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

unless we get posey back for the non-bird exception, which if the money davis got is any indication of the market this summer, it's possible

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2008, 09:14:49 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245

I'm thinking Maggette goes to philly. With regards to Baron, he probably got offered a non max deal from GS, didn't like it (or was offended) and might be taking less to go to his hometown. Like Ben Gordon turned down 5 yrs/ 50 million from the Bulls. After a so so year, I wouldn't be surprised if that offer has gone down and I think Gordon out of pride would take less from another team, but not the Bulls. It's funny how the "felt disrepected" by an offer thing (meaning not enough money) works in Sports. Egos are huge.

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2008, 09:21:44 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

unless we get posey back for the non-bird exception, which if the money davis got is any indication of the market this summer, it's possible

I don't think there's a correlation. Posey is looking for a MLE deal. And Baron is getting a nice contract, it's not like he's going to make $13M every year. But it doesn't matter, the fact that there aren't many teams with cap space doesn't mean nothing when it comes to the MLE.

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2008, 09:22:55 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I feel really bad for the Warriors fans.

This one has really got to hurt.

They were great to him..

then they should have offered a similar contract, it didn't even take max money to get him.

can't blame him for opting out and getting a better contract if your a warriors fan, blame your owners for not matching or exceeding a relatively cheap contract.

Oh, I was under the impression that the atleast made an attempt to re-sign him.

I guess it is the owner's fault.

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2008, 09:29:27 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I don't think there's a correlation. Posey is looking for a MLE deal. And Baron is getting a nice contract, it's not like he's going to make $13M every year. But it doesn't matter, the fact that there aren't many teams with cap space doesn't mean nothing when it comes to the MLE.

Baron's getting relative crap. If you consider that he was going to be getting $18M this year, he signed waht amounts to whet he'd have made this year and a 4 year $48M extension. Pierce's (current) extension is for almost $20M a year.

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2008, 09:34:12 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Baron's getting relative crap. If you consider that he was going to be getting $18M this year, he signed waht amounts to whet he'd have made this year and a 4 year $48M extension. Pierce's (current) extension is for almost $20M a year.

exactly, Baron got hosed on that deal. It means that either he really, really wanted to play for the clips, or that teams aren't willing to pay big $$ for star players because they are waiting for 2010, in which case they aren't going to be throwing 4-5 year MLE offers at an aging defensive bench player naked Posey either.

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2008, 09:35:17 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

if reports out of the first day are even 50% accurate, pose has at least 6 offers already from teams with the MLE. he's not going to take 2 or 3 million less so we can sign CM.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2008, 09:40:05 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I've got to give a huge amount of credit to Elton Brand. There's no way they can make this happen without him. This is the first day of free agency and they managed to resign the best player in free agency (who definitely had suitors) and acquire Baron Davis. He must have given them some type of promise and freedom to go gallivanting after Davis during the first day of free agency. It happened too quickly for it to be anything else. Well done Elton Brand.