Author Topic: Kobe says Gold Medal is more important than NBA Championship  (Read 14009 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
On Mike and Mike this morning they asked Kobe what was more Important to him winning a championship in the NBA or a gold medal in the Olympics. He said that it's the gold medal, but I am not buy that at all . I think he is just saying because he is embarrassed that the Lakers got their butts handed to them in the finals. The Olympics is just something for him to focus on in the near future to get over the hart break of losing the Finals. There's no way winning a Gold medal on a team full of future hall of famers is more important to Kobe then winning an NBA championship without Shaq.

Give it up Kobe everyone can see through you, you're lame!

Re: Kobe says Gold Medal is more important then NBA Championship
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 02:00:16 PM »

Offline WBrownTrophy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Thanks Red
Lame is right. He's so easy to see through. He has said in the past that there is nothing more important than an NBA title...he is too arrogant to admit to himself he failed.
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."
                                   -Red Auerbach

Re: Kobe says Gold Medal is more important than NBA Championship
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 02:01:28 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Is it wrong for me to root for Kobe to get embarrassed at the Olympics, even if it means that the US loses?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 02:01:43 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
It's possible Kobe really means it.

1. Kobe has already won NBA Championships.

2. USA Basketball has been on the downs....restoring it back to the rightful top is necessary.

3. Kobe needs to say these things to help increase his image across USA.

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 02:01:58 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Well, I'm no Kobe booster, but he's got one but not the other, not to mention that another title has passed by for a year at least - so right now, maybe a gold medal is more important.  I think players who have won championships put a lot of stock in the gold medal, especially as tough as the Olympic competition is these days.  Players without a championship probably would rather have the ring - but getting the US back to the top of the medal stand is a big deal given our recent failures.

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 02:04:04 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Well, I'm no Kobe booster, but he's got one but not the other, not to mention that another title has passed by for a year at least - so right now, maybe a gold medal is more important.  I think players who have won championships put a lot of stock in the gold medal, especially as tough as the Olympic competition is these days.  Players without a championship probably would rather have the ring - but getting the US back to the top of the medal stand is a big deal given our recent failures.
I would agree with this for a lot of players but not Kobe. He is an egomaniac and wants to prove he doesn't need Shaq to win a title.

If he wins a gold medal on a team full of future hall of famers and can't win a nba championship as the #1 option, then it just proves that he can't win without Shaq or comparable players. His ego wants a nba championship as the #1 man more then a gold medal as just another hall of famer on an olympic team, even if he won't publicly admit it.

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 02:04:15 PM »

Offline Weird Facts

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 71
  • OOGIE BOOGEY DELONTE
Kobe has championship rings.

In honesty, I hear you, I'm sure he is saying it in part because of the NBA finals loss. 

However, USA hasn't won the Gold in how long now?

I mean, say what you want, but the rest of the world has clearly caught up, and I would say that winning a gold when the entire world is involved is pretty close to winning a championship in the USA.

I don't even like Kobe, but I wouldn't say the Gold Medal is secondary to the NBA Championship.  If anything they are pretty equally difficult to achieve.
Fair or bad weather
I'll always be a fan of the green

http://www.cafepress.com/besttees3

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 02:06:19 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Kobe has said that quite a few times in the past. He desperately wants to play in Olympics and wants to win a Gold medal.

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 02:07:20 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
I would agree with this for a lot of players but not Kobe. He is an egomaniac and wants to prove he doesn't need Shaq to win a title.

Yeah, but leading the US back to the top of the mountain, after multiple teams of NBA stars losing out, would also be quite a feather for that egomaniac's hat.  He already made a big deal during the North American (?) championships last summer about always wanting to guard the other team's best player, etc etc.  I agree he wants that title, but I think his focus is on the medal right now, for mostly the same reasons.

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 02:09:59 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 162
  • Green 18!
Just because the Gold medal is much easier to win than the NBA Championship. Just a lame escuse, Kobe.

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 02:13:17 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I believe Kobe has realized that there is no way he can beat the Celtics in the finals. 

He is going to focus on a attainable goal now.   ;D

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 02:17:39 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
It's his job to say its more important, he represents team usa.

what did you expect him to say?

"yea, this would be alright, to win gold, but who gives a [dang] in the end you know?"

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 02:35:54 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I think this is very true.  He has already won 3 titles in the NBA.  And you hear everybody on that team saying there is no greater honor than representing your country.  I believe it and it is one of the few things he has done in his career that i respect. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 02:45:52 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Lame is right. He's so easy to see through. He has said in the past that there is nothing more important than an NBA title...he is too arrogant to admit to himself he failed.

Yep.  Plus, it's just another P.R. move.  Kobe the great patriot.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 02:50:07 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
Honestly, what answer would be acceptable to some folks here?  "Well, it's ok to represent my country and try to get the US back on top of the international basketball world, but I really don't care as much about this as winning another title.  But, I promise to give it a solid 75% as long as I'm out there." 

He's not a Laker right now, he's a member of the US national team; this is where his priorities should be at the moment, and this is where he's saying they are.  There's lots of valid knocks on Kobe, but not being a world-class competitor isn't one of them.

People saying this is "obviously phony" are just reminding me of the people who thought Pierce's knee injury and KG's celebration were "obviously phony".  I'm far from super-patriotic, but I'll sure be rooting for the guy and everyone else on the squad this August.  When he's back in a Laker jersey, he should be focused on an NBA title again, just as I'll be back to being focused on thinking of him as a self-centered prick.  For now, I wish him the best.