Author Topic: Charlie Villanueva  (Read 7117 times)

Charlie Villanueva
« on: June 30, 2008, 08:10:13 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
From RealGM

"The Bucks are looking to get rid of Charlie Villanueva as soon as possible, according to The New York Daily News.

Must people don't expect Villanueva to last very long with with Scott Skiles running the show in Milwaukee."

He does not make a lot of money and I think he could be had very easily.  The question here, knowing that the C's are also looking at Chris Anderson, who would you rather have?

I'll take Charlie V.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

Re: Charlie Villanueva
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 08:14:25 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
we are already set at the SF and PF spots

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 08:22:17 AM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
I'd put my money and roster spot into James Posey. He's a proven winner. The others aren't.

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 08:33:01 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
I'd put my money and roster spot into James Posey. He's a proven winner. The others aren't.

Charlie V did win the NCAA Tourament in '04.  I'd say that makes him a winner.  What decides a proven winner anyway?  There are many superstars in all sports that never won their respective titles, but I would have them on my team. 

I think you can have both any way.  Posey plays SF where as Charlie is list at PF (some say C).  He is the backup to Perk/Garnett that they need.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 08:35:35 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
knucklehead.  Why do you think the Bucks are so eager to dump him?

The Clippers would be a good fit.

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 08:38:05 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
He's got talent but he's a bad player. There's no getting around that. He needs to figure this league out and to do that he needs lots of minutes. No way should a Championship squad be considering Villaneuva.

He's soft. Plays no defense. Is dumb. Can't figure what makes him a good offensive player so he's worthwhile having on the court 1 in 5 games. He can't pass.

Let him be

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 08:45:11 AM »

Offline papa shuttlesworth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 46
As someone who is a big UConn fan, I have seen a lot of Villanueva (although not as much in the NBA)  He is very talented and can do everything like Derrick Coleman.  Unfortunately, he only does this when properly motivated, like at the end of his sophomore season when he put in a solid month or two leading up to the championship.  Even at his motivational peak, his defense was never that great, although he can be a good shotblocker.

When I first thought about him on the Celtics (now, at least), I thought it was not a good idea because he is too flakey and he was never dedicated to defense.  But with the established core and attitude of KG, PP and RA, maybe he'd find that focus that is preventing him from being very good.

Some team will take him because he still has lots of potential.  And unlike many other "potential" guys, he is actually living up to some of it.

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 08:49:45 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff

"knucklehead"  Ouch!

The Bucks are eager to dump everyone.  They are in a serious rebuilding year (again).  For what you would have to give up to get him, it could very well be worth the risk.

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 08:59:06 AM »

Offline papa shuttlesworth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 46

He's soft. Plays no defense. Is dumb. Can't figure what makes him a good offensive player so he's worthwhile having on the court 1 in 5 games. He can't pass.

Charlie is one of those guys that was a guard in high school and then grew 6-12 inches and became a forward.  So his passing and shooting are actually above average for a power forward.  But his power is below average for a PF.  His biggest weakness is that he can do everything pretty well, but makes lots of mistakes because he does not recognize the correct time and place for each of these skills/moves.

He needs a coach that will simplify his role until he becomes good at that and then gradually expands it, but benches him when he does too much.  Someone like Jerry Sloan, Hubie Brown, pre-crazy Larry Brown, etc.

I think Doc could have been that coach a few years ago, but the priority is now winning another ring, not teaching.

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 10:15:11 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
No thanks, we need people who are going to bang bodies, CV roams around the 3pt line and doesn't bang around.  He only averaged 2 rebounds a game more than Rondo.

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 04:15:30 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.

clippers fetish...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 04:59:17 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I don't know, I think he could give us more than PJ will (assuming PJ gives us a little less than he gave us this year).  He will probably get offered a spot where he can play more than he would in Boston so I am not expecting him to come here but if he did, for the right $$$, I think we could make it work and PJ could watch the Celtics in the finals at home on TV.

(Oh Oh, I hope I don't get called a knucklehead too...)

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 05:44:32 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

We really don't need another big until playoff time. 

I would much rather let Powe, Davis and Posey back up the 4 & 5 throughout the regular season, and add PJ again next spring for playoff depth.  No doubt the price will be right. 

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 03:47:53 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
I like the idea of Villanueva as a player.

It seems like KG makes an impression on all the younger players. And at 6'11", with a face up kind of game, I think Charlie could really look up to KG. What a mentor, right?  Since we're parting ways with TA anyways, what are we losing...?

...basically, I feel we need to cut ties with either Powe or Davis, since they're very similar players.  So, assuming we do that, we have room for an 11th man at the forward position.  It would be low risk, because I think his deal is set to expire.

Now, arguably, we could get someone cheaper, or better. But a trade with Milwaukee might allow us to move some salaries around. It's not a "knucklehead" idea, entirely. There's some merit to it.

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 04:26:36 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
He's got talent but he's a bad player. There's no getting around that. He needs to figure this league out and to do that he needs lots of minutes. No way should a Championship squad be considering Villaneuva.

Let him be

Talk about a complete 180 by Who. He considered Gerald Green a bad signing by the Mavs because Green needs to learn the game by not getting any playing time and observing from the bench.

Yet in the case of Charlie Villanueva...

This is the exact same description of Gerald Green. Yet, Villanueva "needs to figure this league out and to do that he needs lots of minutes," while Gerald, with the same deficiencies, has to be off the court. What gives? You can't have it both ways. What can Villanueva learn on the court that Green can't?