Author Topic: Analyzing our rookies: my take on Bill Walker  (Read 6810 times)

Re: Analyzing our rookies: my take on Bill Walker
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2008, 02:26:51 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Hey, cordobes... on your analysis, did you base it on the big Walker, or the slim Walker?  I think some of his slow defensive rotation and slow first step can or should be corrected with his loss of weight. Though it'll probably be hard to tell since I doubt there's any post-surgery footage of him playing while being this slim.

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2008, 04:21:26 AM »

Offline CelticsFan12345

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 0
My mouth completely fricken dropped when the celtics picked JR Giddens, i kept on saying to my friend i was talking to at the time "JR Giddens?! JR Giddens?!" Why not CDR (Chris Douglas-Roberts) out of Memphis, i mean he was only THE HIGHEST SCORER IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT this past march, oh but no let's take J.R. Giddens, i realize we need a backup point guard for my boy "Baby Rondo" (i like to call em) lol, but the thing is CDR could've played PG, idk i just felt like we missed a chance at having something nice, because quite honestly it didn't matter who we took, i mean for example if Giddens and Marshall go on the team, and don't stay on reserve they'll become great because KG will take them under his teaching, and if I know anything about KG (My fav. player) it's that he can teach the game

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2008, 07:52:32 AM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
I love the picks for a couple of reasons - we just added a 23 year old Ruben Paterson (Giddens) and a 20 year old Bonzi Wells (Walker) to our roster for a first and a second round pick.

Both guys could score at the college level, and things like steals, blocks, and especially rebounds translate very well to the pros.
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2008, 01:52:26 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Hey, cordobes... on your analysis, did you base it on the big Walker, or the slim Walker?  I think some of his slow defensive rotation and slow first step can or should be corrected with his loss of weight. Though it'll probably be hard to tell since I doubt there's any post-surgery footage of him playing while being this slim.

The big one, I analyzed the five games listed in the bottom. I believe he was slimmer before his second ACL injury but I never saw him in that time.

Good point to bring up, I agree there's a reasonable/high possibility of that occurring, assuming he lost weight in the right places. When watching him, I frequently thought that the fact he was so thick in his lower body was probably hurting his quickness and "blowbyability". There's going to be a trade-off, as his posting game will suffer, but I have no doubt it's going to pay, as he wouldn't be able to play inside so much as he used to in college anyway. Also, his impressively quick body reconditioning may be indicative of a very good overall athleticism (not only leaping ability or strength), that can be very helpful when it comes to develop another skills, including his shooting mechanics, because good overall athletes have very good innate "muscle memory" and that's extremely important to develop mechanics.

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2008, 01:59:52 PM »

Offline Mon

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
This kid is going to blow up!  Not weight-wise either.

He has had many obstacles (injuries, coaching change, personal upbringing, etc...)

I think he is talented, humble, and hungry.

With that combination I think he is going to be very good.

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2008, 02:05:52 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Why not CDR (Chris Douglas-Roberts) out of Memphis, i mean he was only THE HIGHEST SCORER IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT this past march, oh but no let's take J.R. Giddens, i realize we need a backup point guard for my boy "Baby Rondo" (i like to call em) lol, but the thing is CDR could've played PG, idk i just felt like we missed a chance at having something nice,\

I don't think CDR would be a very effective backup pg in the nba....granted he played it in hs, and at times in college, he's just not mobile enough to be an effective point - plus as you said, he's a scorer, not a distributor...regardless, Danny didn't want CDR here for whatever reason (and teams picking 1-39 didn't either) so there's obviously something to his fall, and I think Giddens and Walker both have a chance to be nice complimentary players to this team - I'll be honest I was pulling for CDR at draft time too, but I understand his limitations would have made it almost impossible for him to contribute to this team

When you love life, life loves you right back